Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Hot Toys

Old 02-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #31
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Terminator 2 Similar? The first was a regular MMS the two DX's were FAR from similar. I own the Battle damaged T-800 and many agree it is one of the best figures made, the best DX along with Jack Sparrow

As for the Batman figures, one was from the Dark Knight (including Sonar Backpack, Head), The other was from Dark Knight Rises including EMP gun & Bruce Wayne head & much better switch out facial features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwpIeLu7y5M
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #32
SONICobra
Batman

COI - if its any consolation, that cape is going to be an aboslute nightmare to get it to look half way decent. from what i understand the og cape wasnt "fantastic" either but at least it doesnt look like a saggy garbage bag draped around the figure like this will. also the og has the better base imo
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 AM   #33
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

...Then you will have the Justice League releases...
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 AM   #34
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Usually when they re-release a character it's a different version with new parts, portrait or outfits. To my knowledge this is the first time they've re-released the exact same figure, but with slight uprgrades like the cape.

I also picked up BVS Batman and I was super pissed when I saw the new one from SS. At first I thought he was barebones with just the new cape, but I was really ticked when I realized he came with all the same accessories and then some. It was a low blow from hot toys for sure.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #35
rykerw1701
Justice League

I think I view it as it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of a figure I have. I either like how it looks on my shelf and to futz with it, or I don't, it doesn't matter how many others are out there. I don't resell much other than stuff I really don't want anymore so, that's partly why I don't care about re-releases muc.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #36
BarrelCannon
Nightwing

I know what you mean. I don't collect enough of their stuff to experience it. They've revisited Jack Sparrow but it's been quite different each time and I got the Stranger Tides version which I adore.

If they did this with Rey with a lightup saber I'd be so sad. I would want a new sculpt and new materials etc. Maybe more portraits and different accessories to make it worthwhile
BarrelCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #37
supermetroid
Teen Titans

This is the reason I won't buy any figures. I considered it before, but then I saw how many versions of each character they made with slight variations/accessories and my decision was made. I like the piece of mind knowing that if I'm buying a limited# statue then it will have a better chance holding it's value most of the time and most companies don't make variants later(stop it P1 lol).
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #38
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykerw1701 View Post
I think I view it as it doesn't really impact my enjoyment of a figure I have. I either like how it looks on my shelf and to futz with it, or I don't, it doesn't matter how many others are out there. I don't resell much other than stuff I really don't want anymore so, that's partly why I don't care about re-releases muc.
The issue for me isn't resale or the quality of what I bought. I don't like the fact that the figure I bought has nothing unique, not even a single accessory. So the people who waited get everything I got with mine and more, for the same price. Hot Toys benefits, collectors who initially passed or missed out benefit, but the people who have already given HT their money don't benefit. Not a great way to engender loyalty.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #39
rykerw1701
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
The issue for me isn't resale or the quality of what I bought. I don't like the fact that the figure I bought has nothing unique, not even a single accessory. So the people who waited get everything I got with mine and more, for the same price. Hot Toys benefits, collectors who initially passed or missed out benefit, but the people who have already given HT their money don't benefit. Not a great way to engender loyalty.
But why does it matter to you if other collectors benefit if it isn't about resale? You still have a nicely done figure. If you're not planning to resell the figure, having more out there just like it doesn't make yours different. Now buying it and then seeing Hot Toys offer more stuff for the same money is frustrating, I agree. But I as a collector want Hot Toys to succeed and make more stuff I can buy that I don't really need.
rykerw1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #40
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykerw1701 View Post
But why does it matter to you if other collectors benefit if it isn't about resale? You still have a nicely done figure. If you're not planning to resell the figure, having more out there just like it doesn't make yours different. Now buying it and then seeing Hot Toys offer more stuff for the same money is frustrating, I agree. But I as a collector want Hot Toys to succeed and make more stuff I can buy that I don't really need.
The point isn't that I don't like my figure any longer, or that I care if others benefit. I wanted to know if this was a regular practice or not, because if they routinely upgrade their products months after release for the same price tag, then there's no reason for me to ever jump on figures when they're new. Just because I don't care about resale, doesn't mean I don't want to get the most value I can for my money.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote