Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #271
GrumpyBear
Scarlet Witch

You must see the face behind the idea and for that it´s perfect. If you let the idea from the character pose in your mind you understand the pose and face.
GrumpyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #272
ambasah
Red Skull

I get what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't fit the personality of this character.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #273
Remember Me?
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
I like seeing texture on full sculpt stuff nowadays. More companies are getting better at it. I can see that there's some texture to the seat, but is there any texture to his suit and pants or is it a straight up Bowen style Kingpin?
That is my beef with Thor! Magneto was very detailed and then all the sudden XM pulled a Bowen.
Remember Me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #274
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember Me? View Post
That is my beef with Thor! Magneto was very detailed and then all the sudden XM pulled a Bowen.
Ennnn....wrooooonnnngggg!!!!! Firstly, Thor has never had a textured CLASSIC outift. The comic always had a smooth gear. BUT, the areas where it should be textured (belt, boots, wrists) are indeed textured. And textured very well. The shirt, pants and cape are not textured...and they aren't in the comics either.

Honestly, some of you guys (not singling you out Remember...just generally speaking) try to find anything you can to knock a piece down. But oftentimes, there just is nothing there to be knocked. Texture is not one in this case. Lots of details in this....including the skin (although he has less melanin than other characters).

What's more, many of you have never even seen this piece in person, but are so expert at critiquing something at a glance. This goes for all collectibles across the hobby...not just XM.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #275
built2shred
Phoenix

It does seem that XM kind of goes back and forth between comic look and a more realistic look... IE: Black Widow, Phoenix have more of a comic look vs Magneto & Hawkeye who got more of a realistic look
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #276
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
It does seem that XM kind of goes back and forth between comic look and a more realistic look... IE: Black Widow, Phoenix have more of a comic look vs Magneto & Hawkeye who got more of a realistic look
It's funny you mention those two which is why I never really liked them, to include Thor. I enjoy seeing realism come to life in a full sculpt without the use of mixed media. So yeah, I like to view a bit of texture in the sculpt to indicate or give an illusion of real fabric (new or worn) being utilized. Gentle Giant, Iron Studios, and Prime 1 are pros at accomplishing this. The end result on a ton of their stuff is very exceptional to say the least. XM does a terrific job with most of their other comic sculpts too. As does Sideshow; however, like BW, Thor, and Phoenix, this sculpt of Kingpin is cool & all...especially the seat, cane, and table, but Kingpin himself is just too generic for me. Just a blown-up Bowen as some do call it. I'm not sure why XM seesaws between real and comic (texture/no texture) either.

It's weird what people want in their collections though. Here's an example...Sideshow's realistic MOTU statues, although very nice, just don't do it for me the way PCS's Filmation MOTU generic baby-skin-smooth sculpts do. I own three of PCS's Filmation sculpts and those are the only statues I would take to the grave with me. No realism, no texture, nothing, and those are my absolute three favorite statues in my little stockpile.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #277
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Yeah you're definitely on to something. I prefer the realistic approach more when looking at my favorite statues of theirs(Magneto, Cable, Electro, Darkness etc.).

I think this Kingpin would look great with a stoic portrait though(I know I sound like a broken record lol).
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #278
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I can't stand the realistic look. I prefer the comic look.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #279
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizAbef View Post
It's funny you mention those two which is why I never really liked them, to include Thor. I enjoy seeing realism come to life in a full sculpt without the use of mixed media. So yeah, I like to view a bit of texture in the sculpt to indicate or give an illusion of real fabric (new or worn) being utilized. Gentle Giant, Iron Studios, and Prime 1 are pros at accomplishing this. The end result on a ton of their stuff is very exceptional to say the least. XM does a terrific job with most of their other comic sculpts too. As does Sideshow; however, like BW, Thor, and Phoenix, this sculpt of Kingpin is cool & all...especially the seat, cane, and table, but Kingpin himself is just too generic for me. Just a blown-up Bowen as some do call it. I'm not sure why XM seesaws between real and comic (texture/no texture) either.

It's weird what people want in their collections though. Here's an example...Sideshow's realistic MOTU statues, although very nice, just don't do it for me the way PCS's Filmation MOTU generic baby-skin-smooth sculpts do. I own three of PCS's Filmation sculpts and those are the only statues I would take to the grave with me. No realism, no texture, nothing, and those are my absolute three favorite statues in my little stockpile.
Beauty of individuality brother. If we all liked the same thing, wouldn't be that exciting in life.

For myself, I kind of sit in the middle. I like either super detailed or simple depending on the character and sculpt.

Example: some people like details...and in TF statues for instance, some probably want grime, scratches, rust, battle damage, etc. on them, but I myself want all TFs to be as clean and neat a paint job as if they just came off the assembly line for standalone characters. If XM does dioramas, then I say XM go all out on the extra details and textures, etc.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #280
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

Hi Khufu,

While I understand your point I must admit that I feel that Kingpin's facial expression is shrewd, vicious and cunning.
IMHO this is the expresion of a condescending and ruthless crime boss who just thought of a brilliant plan of how to get rid of his opponents Daredevil and Spiderman.
The way I see it the man looks like he means business and has just made a devastating move against his opponents as parts of his Masterplan.

Just my two cents though; YMMV!
I do not have any statue of XM Studios in my collection yet but if I could choose just one to get I think it would be this statue of Kingpin; somehow I really like it.

Rainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
Everything looks great except the "i have some candy in my van" face. I dropped my PO - I just can't get around how bad I think it is. Really needed a more evil smirk/grin. The rest of the piece is phenomenal though - the chess board and pieces, his rings/cane, etc...
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote