Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
If I label a video as "not made for kids" then Youtube collects data from the viewers of that video. If the FTC decides that I labeled the video wrong and it was made for kids, then youtube would be in violation of the law in that they would be collecting data from a kid, which is exactly what the COPPA law forbids. In that case, the FTC, by law, can fine me up to $42,000.
Hypothetically if kids watch videos they shouldn't the video creator could go bankrupt? The average American doesn't have $1000 set aside, this would ruin people for life.

This seems like a real mess either way. Have to see how it plays out and is enforced.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Hypothetically if kids watch videos they shouldn't the video creator could go bankrupt?
Yes. I have 95 videos currently uploaded. If I label them all as "not made for kids", the FTC could, hypothetically, fine me $3,990,000.

Conversely, if I label them as "made for kids", what do I do about Catwoman, Ivy, Harley, or any other female superhero posed suggestively? What do I do about Dejah Thoris?
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #13
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Yes. I have 95 videos currently uploaded. If I label them all as "not made for kids", the FTC could, hypothetically, fine me $3,990,000.

Conversely, if I label them as "made for kids", what do I do about Catwoman, Ivy, Harley, or any other female superhero posed suggestively? What do I do about Dejah Thoris?
Hypothetically, imagine if a YouTube representative with a greater understanding of the new rule "made for kids" "not made for kids" were to view all 95 of your videos. I wonder what tag they would apply to each video?
It has to be be one or the other. But would it fix the data collecting issue?
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Hypothetically, imagine if a YouTube representative with a greater understanding of the new rule "made for kids" "not made for kids" were to view all 95 of your videos. I wonder what tag they would apply to each video?
It has to be be one or the other. But would it fix the data collecting issue?
I realize that you were speaking hypothetically, but the problem is that youtube isn't doing what you describe. As the entity collecting the data, youtube should be responsible for labeling its content, but they're passing the buck to content creators. Then it's up to the Federal Trade Commission to decide if creators have labeled their videos correctly, and apply fines if they determine that they haven't.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
Gothamite
Phoenix

nearmint, it feels like you're trying to talk yourself into shutting down your channel. I'm gonna flat out tell you that your "fears" seem ridiculous to me for the simple reason that kids would not find your content or method of delivery to be engaging. On these bases, the FTC would not bother messing with you.

However, by all means, "chicken little" your videos out of existence.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #16
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
nearmint, it feels like you're trying to talk yourself into shutting down your channel. I'm gonna flat out tell you that your "fears" seem ridiculous to me for the simple reason that kids would not find your content or method of delivery to be engaging. On these bases, the FTC would not bother messing with you.

No, not planning on shutting down the channel, but unclear on how I'm going to label my videos. There seems to be no good answer.

Also curious what viewers and other content creators are thinking.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #17
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post

It doesn't matter if "kids" find it engaging or not. It matters what an arbitrary government "auditor" classifies it as. You could get an auditor that says "This video is geared toward an adult collector." or you could get one that says "This is a cartoon/comic book related video that is for children."

nearmints page may never come under scrutiny but if it does it's up to someone else to decide what his videos should be categorized. If they decide all his videos are in the wrong category it can be 42K per video.

Youtube is basically saying. "It's all on you and we cannot give you any guide rules to go by other than hope you get it right or you will be in the poor house."

I think it is ridiculous but I personally wouldn't want to chance having the FTC arbitrarily fining me hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
nearmint
Phoenix

What's counter-intuitive to me is that the potential fines encourage creators to label all their videos as "made for kids", thus potentially exposing kids to material that may not be appropriate for them.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #19
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Quote:
What's counter-intuitive to me is that the potential fines encourage creators to label all their videos as "made for kids", thus potentially exposing kids to material that may not be appropriate for them.
But from what I have read, if you label it for kids and an auditor deems it is too adult for a 12 and under child than you can get fined for that as well. So again it is up to the decision of someone that may not know anything about the material or how it is handled. It just seems too open ended.

Systems were down at work today and I had a lot of free time to delve into this. LOL
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #20
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
But from what I have read, if you label it for kids and an auditor deems it is too adult for a 12 and under child than you can get fined for that as well. So again it is up to the decision of someone that may not know anything about the material or how it is handled. It just seems too open ended.

Systems were down at work today and I had a lot of free time to delve into this. LOL
To be honest, I'm unclear on that. The goal of the new policy is to enforce proper data collection. By selecting "made for kids", data collection is turned off, solving that issue. But other laws might pertain to the issue of adult material in videos labeled as made for kids.