Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 10-31-2017, 10:43 PM   #611
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Sisko View Post
Yes, they do. There's a switch at the back of the chest box and one on the belt for the lights on those. The base and saber lights are controlled with a swicth on the base and uses 3 AA batteries. Throw out the ones that comes with it, they're rubbish.

Here's my quick unboxing video for Vader. Full review should be up tomorrow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssb3labpqz8
Thanks for the video and confirmation regarding the lights.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #612
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Well mine arrived a day early. Can’t wait to open this thing up.
Congrats Hellboy! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the piece.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #613
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thanks guys. Being Halloween night I didn’t have enough time to take any photos but I’m hoping to get some up tomorrow after work. Figured I’d post my initial thoughts, both the good and the bad.

The Good:
  • I’d say it’s a 90% polystone statue with only a few plastic pieces and obviously the cape is fabric.
  • The cape has wire running all the way across it’s bottom and sides so it can be fully molded to your liking.
  • The snow covered tips of the cape are much more pronounced on the production piece and look very natural, as if it’s been sweeping the snow covered ground.
  • The cracked light on the snow base lights Vader up nicely without feeling out of place. It’s an excellent touch.
  • The illuminated Lightsaber is without question the best and brightest I’ve ever seen on anything to date.
  • Sculpt, paint and display options are fantastic!

The Bad:
  • Unfortunately, as great as it looks lit up, the light-up feature as a whole is really pretty worthless. Without an AC adapter option nobody, and I mean NOBODY, will be turning this thing on in it’s entirety with any regularity.
  • No central ON button for the light-up feature. It has 3 separate battery powered areas. A button on the base for the saber and cracked snow base light, an on/off switch behind the belt and another behind the magnetized chest plate.
  • Getting to the on/off switch behind the chest plate is all but impossible once the piece is assembled if you go with the striking saber pose as the left arm crosses directly over it. You would have to remove both arms and pull the chest plate off every time you’d want to see it lit.
  • The pose is slightly different (at least on mine) than the pics convey. He’s standing more upright than I’d like. I prefer more of a lunging forward look as it conveys motion better.
  • The cape is HUGE! While not really a negative in and of itself it’s an absolute pain in the ass getting the thing molded to look natural. I literally spent 40 min. fussing with mine and I’m still not sure I’m completely satisfied with the look.

Overall I’m happy with the piece. Far and away the best 1:4 scale Darth Vader I’ve ever seen. I’m looking forward to seeing what Iron Studios does with the SW line. That said they really need to work on streamlining their light-up features.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 AM   #614
qz33
Doctor Doom

The cape is my biggest detraction for getting this.
I don't trust my ability to shape it a way I'll like.

Wired fabric capes would be fine with me... if they came pre-shaped
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #615
thx217
Ultimates

One of the best Vader to date? YES, absolutely. The best part is that all included exchangeable arms looks great and works with the pose unusually well. Somebody will probably get another 1 or 2 just to display different setup.

Got mine today. It has some issues here and there(slightly bent saber(not the light-up one), wrapping paper marks on the chest and shoulder pads, looked like they wrapped the piece up while the paint was not completely dry, the issues are easy fixes but an easy return/exchange for someone else. But other then that, yea, this is one of the best Vader to represent the ultimate bad guy in the galaxy. Beautifully sculpted, posed and finished! One thing that I hope they would have done better is to engineer it to lit up everything at once or at least have an easier access to them as the belt is pain to turn on and off.

A most common last vision as a rebel soldier when facing Vader.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #616
It's Sisko
Sailor Moon

Here's my full review for Vader. I tried to be pretty thorough, and I also run through all the possible arm combinations at the end of the video. I totally agree that the cape s a bit of a pain. I really wish it had been sculpted. And the other negative is definitely the way the chest box and belt lights operate as others have already mentioned. It's still an awesome looking statue, and I give it a solid 9/10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGVluJQdH6Y
It's Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #617
Python
Omega Red

Awesome pictures THX, he looks great!
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #618
thx217
Ultimates

The cape is not an issue at all, in fact, it adds to the piece more then you think. IMHO, it is one of the best part about this piece and one of the elements that makes it stands out. I would not even consider this one if the cape is sculpted.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #619
thx217
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
Awesome pictures THX, he looks great!
Thanks, mate.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #620
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx217 View Post
The cape is not an issue at all, in fact, it adds to the piece more you think. IMHO, it is one of the best part about this piece and one of the elements that makes it stands out. I would not even consider this one if the cape is sculpted.
The cape is pretty awesome. Outside of being a lot of work to mold it's definitely one of the best parts of the statue. Sculpted would've added a ton of weight and the statue would've leaned over time for sure (Superman & Batman PFs anyone?)
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote