Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 10-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #91
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
If we only focus exclusively on problems today, we will come up short tomorrow because we neglected having the foresight to study the environment around us. Yes, this is long term investment in the human race. The gross bulk of moneys is indeed spent on problems today, and rightly so. But it is prudent and wise to invest a small amount for the future.

The nations that lead on the frontiers, determine the course of human history. We all want that to be a positive course.
I've heard the same argument since Junior High School Civics ... and we're no better now than we were then, as a matter of fact we're WAY worse off now than we were then ... time for a new direction ... at least for a short while.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #92
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
I've heard the same argument since Junior High School Civics ... and we're no better now than we were then, as a matter of fact we're WAY worse off now than we were then ... time for a new direction ... at least for a short while.
I could solve overpopulation real easy and cheap.
That's one problem solved.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #93
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:

But that has little to do with science and exploration. That is another topic entirely why humanity has problems, and certainly is not exclusive to modern times or any one nation.

Ok, I realize your against NASA doing these missions and your not going to change that view anytime soon or perhaps ever for your reasons given.

Fair enough.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #94
dr_teng

Exclamation

Quote:
Gonna have to disagree with this. Assuming it's been at least a decade since then, there's been significant improvements in our understanding of the environment, medical advancements, considerable technology advancements, so you are better off in your daily life assuming the same/similar income than if there were no research done in those areas.

The reasons for recession/depression/whatever are unrelated to the small amount of money used for future/environmental/etc... research.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #95
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Ok, I realize your against NASA doing these missions and your not going to change that view anytime soon or perhaps ever for your reasons given.
No, I'm not against NASA doing these missions at all, I'm against them doing them right now, when we have way more pressing social concerns that need addressing first.

Let me ask you this ... what's the goal of this 78 million dollar investment?

What we are we going to gain from it right now, that's going to help anything here?

Let's say for the sake of argument that we do find water and ice on the moon ... what then? What are we going to get from that discovery?
Old 10-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #96
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_teng View Post
Gonna have to disagree with this. Assuming it's been at least a decade since then, there's been significant improvements in our understanding of the environment, medical advancements, considerable technology advancements, so you are better off in your daily life assuming the same/similar income than if there were no research done in those areas.

The reasons for recession/depression/whatever are unrelated to the small amount of money used for future/environmental/etc... research.
It's been close to 4 decades, but thanks.

And if you want to argue the future and environmental points of this argument, this whole "green movement" isn't anything new. We knew about this stuff back in the 60's and 70's ... take a look at a lot of what came from those eras almost everything right down to the cartoons had messages of conservation, environmentalism, clean up, and pollution. they were the hot topics of the day back then.

We didn't learn from them then, but I hazard to say that if we don't learn from them now, we may not have another chance.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #97
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
No, I'm not against NASA doing these missions at all, I'm against them doing them right now, when we have way more pressing social concerns that need addressing first.

Let me ask you this ... what's the goal of this 78 million dollar investment?

What we are we going to gain from it right now, that's going to help anything here?

Let's say for the sake of argument that we do find water and ice on the moon ... what then? What are we going to get from that discovery?

I already conceded it won't help the specific issues you expressed concern about today, and we always have problems, we certainly have had far worse times and we didnt stop doing sciences then either.

There are other very important things about the moon to consider that could impact the human race in massive ways for the better in the future. Water/ice is just one aspect.

Apollo astronaut and scientist Harrison Schmitt has done a great deal of work studying the feasibility into mining Helium III, a rare isotope on earth, but exists in the lunar regolith in mineable quantities, This would be used as fuel for safe fusion nuclear reactors on earth.

The moon could be a huge energy source for the human race. No small thing there.

Just something to consider.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #98
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
There are other very important things about the moon to consider that could impact the human race in massive ways for the better in the future. Water/ice is just one aspect.

Apollo astronaut and scientist Harrison Schmitt has done a great deal of work studying the feasablity into mining Helium III, a rare isotope on earth, but exists in the lunar regolith in mineable quantities, This would be used as fuel for safe fusion nuclear reactors.

The moon could be a huge energy source for the human race. No small thing there.

Just something to consider.
Right now, I would worry more about the fact that the Polar icecaps seem to be melting, before working about how the moon is going to effect the rising waters.

And how about considering wind, solar and tidal power right here and now, and not yet another ridiculously expensive and finite form of energy?

This is my whole argument ... it's not that these things aren't feasible, I agree that they are ... but to me, this is akin to putting gas in the gas tank before the car is even built ... lets get our priorities in line before spending tons of money that isn't going to amount to a hill of beans in the short term, because if we do that, we're not going to have anything left in the long term.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #99
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Right now, I would worry more about the fact that the Polar icecaps seem to be melting, before working about how the moon is going to effect the rising waters.

And how about considering wind, solar and tidal power right here and now, and not yet another ridiculously expensive and finite form of energy?

Okay, you keep throwing out different concerns like they negate doing these kinds of missions. That list is infinate if you so choose. I get the point. That list of concerns has ever been with us, and always will be with us.

We all benefit today, because people in the past didnt stop studying things unrelated to the headline concerns of their day. Agreed?

Good point, power must be commercially viable and meet the demands. Fusion reactors are certainly something we need to be thinking about. and we have no clue what future energy markest are going to be like. Lunar H3 very well could be a solid solution.

I think we both have made our points well by now on this topic though.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #100
sputnik
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Clear skies and no plume, damn!
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote