Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 04-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #51
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeDeGama View Post
Hey guys! I'm Jimmy Lawrence--full time comic nerd, art collector, elementary school teacher/part time podcast guest of Felix that hates hearing his recorded voice from Charleston, SC! Picking Felix's brain was a lot of fun. Cool to be a part of that!
Your recorded voice sounds fine. I think most people (including myself) hate the sound of their recorded voice.

It took me awhile to get on-board with the podcast but I've gone back and listened to them all (some more than once) and can't get enough.

Felix if you see this you need to start doing a weekly podcast. Sleep is overrated!
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #52
BillC
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
So did I. Seems like a cool dude.
He does- but I also really enjoyed hearing the perspective and history from someone who was collecting OA many decades ago.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #53
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Yeah I love hearing about the early days of art collecting. It must have been nice to collect during a time when prices weren't INSANE and there wasn't a ton of competition for pieces.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #54
FelixComicArt
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Good stuff!

Jimmy is a SF member and he has been on 2 of these so far!
We'll get you on the next call-in segment, Dave!!

Thanks everyone!
FelixComicArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #55
FelixComicArt
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
So did I. Seems like a cool dude.
VERY cool. He's fairly private, but every time I've seen him, he's always been very fan-friendly. And like any comic art obsessive, it's easy to get him going about this hobby.
FelixComicArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #56
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I remember his booth at SDCC. I never really looked closely at it but now I wish I did.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #57
risingstar
Jedi Order

I just listened to the David Mandel podcast and something he said really resonated with me. He recalled trying to get a piece of artwork from another collector, and after some back and forth over what appeared to be a period of a couple of years, they finally struck a deal. He immediately forwarded his FedEx number to seal the deal asap because, and I quote, "I knew if this guy had a minute to think about it, it would be bad for me". A week after he gets the artwork, the original owner asked if they could undo the deal, to which he respectfully declined. He cleverly dodged that particular bullet by not leaving things to chance.

I once had a deal set for a painted cover. Everything seemed to be in order. We agreed on price. However, rather than forward cash right away, I asked if I could pay him once cash from another transaction would arrive. Once that cash came shortly thereafter, the owner backed out of the deal as he clearly had too much time to think about it. Nothing I could say seemed to make any difference. He went on about how much his family loves the piece and that it would be difficult to replace. However, there was this hint that he could be persuaded by a higher offer. I didn't bite. He then offers me the artwork at double the original agreed upon price. So much for his family loving the piece. I respectfully declined, and remained polite, astoundingly. He then asks me if I wanted to buy other artwork from his collection as nonchalantly as if he were asking me if I wanted cream in my coffee.

Aside from the owner being, well, a you-know-what, I blame myself. I should have sent that cash the moment the deal seemed to be struck as leaving anything to chance, or worse, relying on character, can put the kibosh on a deal. I won't make that mistake again.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #58
risingstar
Jedi Order

Incidentally, one of my grail pieces is a Dell'Otto Dr. Strange painting. I had my eye on this piece for what seemed to be forever. Nothing I own gets anywhere near the inquiries to buy. Prior to owning it, I would send the original owner purchase-requests approximately 3 times a year (i.e., borderline harassment... but the pleasant kind I assure you!). He kept on respectfully declining. I then did some research and took note of what Dell'Otto painted pieces were generally going for at the time and offered a substantial amount above that. He still declined. It seemed evident that this fellow simply could not be bought. The very next day, he sends me an e-mail and agrees to the sale because some other piece he had been eyeing had suddenly become available. Before he could change his mind, I raced over to my bank and wired cash to his bank account in Europe before he could change his mind. I had the artwork 2 days later.

All this to say that coveted artwork is generally made up moments found and moments lost. If you have to think about it, then you may not want it enough or worse, you can lose your chance. I realize that's easy to say given what some of these pieces cost these days but I'm inclined to think it is largely true. Funny world, the artwork world.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 PM   #59
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I love hearing about the early days of art collecting. It must have been nice to collect during a time when prices weren't INSANE and there wasn't a ton of competition for pieces.
And I think of you as one of those "early buyers" ... perspective is everything

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #60
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
And I think of you as one of those "early buyers" ... perspective is everything
True. I remember when you were just dipping your toes in. Now look at how far your collection has come.....and that's just what we can see of CAF.