Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 09-21-2017, 02:13 AM   #311
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuhayabusa6787 View Post
After seeing xm interview that just the metal molds on carnage tendrils cost $10-12k JUST THE TENDRILS cost that much is see your point.
Metal molds are not the norm generally they are way more durable but incredibly expensive. They are used on high ES edition statues as PVC molds wear out eventually especially the finer details.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:36 AM   #312
Balthazar
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I believe the ex will sold out too, because of the ES, unfortunately, I wont be one of them
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #313
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
After seeing xm interview that just the metal molds on carnage tendrils cost $10-12k JUST THE TENDRILS cost that much is see your point.
Two months ago I was going to various factories for quotes for a friend of mine for a sculpt I did for him. An average molding cost for 4" pvc or vinyl figure was 3-4k, that came with a minimum order of 1000-3000 pcs. At $2-$3 per pc. Then add shipping from China.

And that's for a cartoon figure with no tiny details or other elements.To have a price point PCS already has a factory with a firm production price. So while their molds might not be 12k like the ones for XM tendrils I'd expect the cost to be between 6-8k per large piece plus other expenses for different materials, don't know what they'd charge for the swap-outs though. But I imagine it isn't that cheap.

Last edited by Josh-a-tron; 09-21-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:03 PM   #314
QX403
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Two months ago I was going to various factories for quotes for a friend of mine for a sculpt I did for him. An average molding cost for 4" pvc or vinyl figure was 3-4k, that came with a minimum order of 1000-3000 pcs. At $2-$3 per pc. Then add shipping from China.

And that's for a cartoon figure with no tiny details or other elements.To have a price point PCS already has a factory with a firm production price. So while their molds might not be 12k like the ones for XM tendrils I'd expect the cost to be between 6-8k per large piece plus other expenses for different materials, don't know what they'd charge for the swap-outs though. But I imagine it isn't that cheap.
Darn that's gotten super expensive now, the material to make a mold only costs a few hundred dollars.
QX403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #315
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:

Let me ask you this since you actually seem to do this type of business. on average you don't have to mention any names what is the return companies getting off of us vs what they actual pay to produce these statues.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #316
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Let me ask you this since you actually seem to do this type of business. on average you don't have to mention any names what is the return companies getting off of us vs what they actual pay to produce these statues.
It's going to be different for each company. Some companies may be able to make deals with factories for concessions on volume. Of course Factories are in demand now so that may not be true any longer. Also my experience is limited, I've only been involved in a few of these transactions. But if I were to estimate based in what I do know. I'd say they probably have a 45-60% markup. Some companies a little more than that depending on if its licensed. I'd say Dc Collectibles and Sideshows Court of the Dead does better than that by 5-10%. But also I think things like mixed media add to the costs and lower the markup.

Also volume buys make it easier to spread the costs of the intial mold tooling across the run. I think that's where PCS loses some money because they try to keep the ES low.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:07 AM   #317
Hitman84
Doh!

I don't mind the coin base TOO much but I really wanted that Dragonzord EX but like most of you the price is just too much.
The other issue I see is to make the rest of the line look right every coin base will have to be angled this way, all but forcing their sculpts to be similar.

One thing I will say is if it were a different base the Coin would be perfect for where the bolt is.
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #318
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman84 View Post
I don't mind the coin base TOO much but I really wanted that Dragonzord EX but like most of you the price is just too much.
The other issue I see is to make the rest of the line look right every coin base will have to be angled this way, all but forcing their sculpts to be similar.

One thing I will say is if it were a different base the Coin would be perfect for where the bolt is.
I actually was thinking the same thing. The only issue I see is what do you replace the coin base with. Some people have said generic rocks but really that would look terrible especially with the pose, he'd look like he was sliding down hill. Anything you replace it with will have to fit that pose, makes it more challenging a problem if they were to even consider making a change.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #319
Hitman84
Doh!

Quote:
I actually was thinking the same thing. The only issue I see is what do you replace the coin base with. Some people have said generic rocks but really that would look terrible especially with the pose, he'd look like he was sliding down hill. Anything you replace it with will have to fit that pose, makes it more challenging a problem if they were to even consider making a change.
i feel like the DZ tail could work, maybe a different set and NO water? thats probably 3/4s of its freaking cost.

Maybe someone to emulate the DZs shoulder where Green Ranger stood couple times. Just some metal
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #320
jansen
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I don't like the coin base but the Dragonzord tail looks dope
jansen is offline   Reply With Quote