Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
pwilson794
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Good deals and what up with digital files?

So 2 part question. The 1k thread got me thinking if there are any good reasonably priced artists left out there? Any suggestions? (like 200)

and also I have talked to a couple of people on deviantart and they seemed to assume I knew the commission was a digital file. Is this the norm now? I know I am not a power collector but I just wondered yalls experiences.
pwilson794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I have seen a lot of DA only doing digital file commissions, and I am completely against it. Especially for the prices some of them charge.
As far as reasonable priced artists:
Darryl Banks (prices start around $60-ish for 8.5x11, $80 11x17 1 character no background, $120 11x17 1 character with background)

Mercenary Studios, run by Jake Mackessy, on the thread here:
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=127473
several artists from $75-$175. I am long overdue buying one myself.

Karl Altstaetter:
http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryD...asp?GCat=12679

i think he does them for around $200

Cory Hamscher does them starting at $40-$60 for 9x12 and $150+ for 11x17

Thony Silas is reasonable as well. He was having a sale on his DA page, that if you bought something you get 1/2 off a commission or a 2nd piece.

Many others, but I gots to go check the grill outside. LOL
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Sam
Hydra

Definitely Darryl Banks. He's fast, honest, and certainly reasonably priced.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

Some artists in today's age, literally draw on the computer (using the cintique). Not paper. So any commission you get, is a digital commission. There's no "real" commission... it's something you can print 1000 times and it's still the real one. Mark Brooks comes to mind. Others prefer the standard paper commission. But I am fairly certain, they can also go paper. I guess it depends on the artist and his/her method of work. In this modern age, it's always best to get a clear understanding of what you'll be getting for your money. Even to ask if you're getting a paper commish or a digital one.
SunnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

david finch is still under $200
jasong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
Scottsdale Saint
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLee View Post
Some artists in today's age, literally draw on the computer (using the cintique). Not paper. So any commission you get, is a digital commission. There's no "real" commission... it's something you can print 1000 times and it's still the real one. Mark Brooks comes to mind. Others prefer the standard paper commission. But I am fairly certain, they can also go paper. I guess it depends on the artist and his/her method of work. In this modern age, it's always best to get a clear understanding of what you'll be getting for your money. Even to ask if you're getting a paper commish or a digital one.
Just to clarify, Mark Brooks does do traditional commissions, as I rec'd one today at PHX Comicon, and it's GORGEOUS. I'll post it tomorrow afternoon, as I have to get it properly scanned. Not saying anything against you Sunny, as I think you've proven that you're a big time credit to this part of the industry, just providing additional information for those that might not know otherwise.
Scottsdale Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
greenjeans1978
The Herculoids

I get both paper and digital commissions. Depending on the artist, their quality, their pricing, and what they're comfortable with, both formats are valid for me. There's no reason whatsoever for it to have to be one way or the other.
greenjeans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
pwilson794
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

thx. for the suggestions. I guess I am just a little taken back to pay over 100 for a digital commission. I will look into those guys. thanks!
pwilson794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Titan1977
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjeans1978 View Post
I get both paper and digital commissions. Depending on the artist, their quality, their pricing, and what they're comfortable with, both formats are valid for me. There's no reason whatsoever for it to have to be one way or the other.
You're right. I hope I didn't come off to crass about digital art, it's just not my thing. To each their own.

I don't want to discount any digital artists talent. Take Artgerm.. His Batgirl covers are incredible and I use them for reference when I get commissions of her.
Titan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote