Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #291
Trinita
Fantastic Four

Dam just read an hours worth of this thread..was really entertained..u guys are funny..thanks to all for the banter..
Trinita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #292
archery
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I would guesstimate that at least 60% of XM's customers are in territories they cannot sell to. The Asian market is simply not big enough to support the numbers XM needs to produce. They need the grey market resellers for their business to be viable.

The resellers have been successful because there is no competition. Sideshow have been criminal in their neglect of Marvel B-C list characters. If you want a Spidey villain that is not Venom or Carnage, then your only choice is XM.

So we get day one sell outs. The hype machine is in full swing and we non-Asian XM fans get suckered into paying premiums for a scarce statue when in reality there is stock gathering dust in Singapore warehouses.

I would suggest holding out and not paying flipper prices or falling for their bundling strategies. As more and more XM pieces are released, the resellers will have no choice but to lower prices to move their stock. Venom and Cable prices are starting to fall and with 2k SGD statues on the horizon + insane shipping costs, I think very few will have pockets deep enough to pay flippers a premium going forward.....

archery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #293
cannonlocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by archery View Post
I would guesstimate that at least 60% of XM's customers are in territories they cannot sell to. The Asian market is simply not big enough to support the numbers XM needs to produce. They need the grey market resellers for their business to be viable.

The resellers have been successful because there is no competition. Sideshow have been criminal in their neglect of Marvel B-C list characters. If you want a Spidey villain that is not Venom or Carnage, then your only choice is XM.

So we get day one sell outs. The hype machine is in full swing and we non-Asian XM fans get suckered into paying premiums for a scarce statue when in reality there is stock gathering dust in Singapore warehouses.

I would suggest holding out and not paying flipper prices or falling for their bundling strategies. As more and more XM pieces are released, the resellers will have no choice but to lower prices to move their stock. Venom and Cable prices are starting to fall and with 2k SGD statues on the horizon + insane shipping costs, I think very few will have pockets deep enough to pay flippers a premium going forward.....

There will always be someone who can pay the premium charged by flippers and even the companies themselves (have you seen Prime 1 WW?). Good thing is more and more people are seeing these practices for what they really are and refuse to buy at the ridiculous premiums. Then maybe if the prices continue to decline, even those who only keep statues for the sake of secondary market value will think twice about their buying habits.
cannonlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #294
cannonlocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
That's because some of those FB groups operate like a goddamn secret society. It's like they're guarding the president or the cure for cancer. There was a whole rant about it on FB a few weeks back.
Let them keep their precious. There will always be a new and maybe even better rendition of a popular character down the line - just a matter of time. Heck maybe we'll get lucky and a better licensed sculpt gets made that won't require us to sell a kidney.
cannonlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #295
Spidey976
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Then why don't you state just that aa909? Why go off into the super grand XM sell out, gray market explanation...when what BMutha said...it's speculation...from all sides.

For the record, I appreciate you informing people to be patient and wait for the market on statues to settle down. Don't feed the flipper and aftermarket beasts lots of money when most of the B and C list characters can be bought a little over cost to a little below cost. However, some characters are so popular that you have to jump on it immediately less you can't get it later for a reasonable aftermarket price.

At the end of the day though...and this is my opinion...who the hell cares how many statues are in some gray markets storage? I could give 2 cents about it. There are many middle men with integrity selling XM statues in the aftermarket and not charging up astronomical prices. I have yet to pay any overcharged aftermarket prices from anyone. I have always bought my XM statues for MSRP. I get them all in 1 or 2 days from shipping. It will be the same for Dark Phoenix, Optimus Prime, Predator and anything else I decide to get or help someone get.

I have registered each and every XM statue I have bought and only bothered transferring 2 of those statues I have sold at a later time. From the numbers registered, I have yet to see any registered statue top 90 in the US...and that is only 1 or 2 of the statues made thus far.
This. The greymarket exists, but there are a lot of guys out there that have helped XM fans get their pieces for reasonable prices. If you don't like it, and you don't live in their areas, then give up buying XM because you are screwed without them.

Quote:
It's no secret that you are referring to both me and BMutha. I'll speak for myself...I am a fan of XM...that word I take as a compliment. And anyone that wants to use that term for myself...thank you very much!

As for insider...let's just say I keep my ear and eyes close to the ground. Facebook is damn near accessible to everyone now and days. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.
Oh now come on m8 I bet you know the secret knock to get into the XM VIP bathroom and everything....lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
Loric I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But the constant questioning of someone's perspective can be interpreted that way. Plus, I've never seen you criticize XM so take that for what it is.

I personally share what I see and won't be quieted by the insiders on this forum. I love XM's statues but you gotta admit it's a little like Fight Club on this forum... Rule #1 We don't question XM, Rule #2... LMAO!!!!
Loric is a dyed in the wool XM fanboy, and he may not be entirely objective all the time, but I can tell you we talk outside the forum and he has criticisms when it comes to XM pieces and he makes them known. However, he doesn't harp on them in here. He talks directly to the people who can do something about it.

Quote:
Firstly, XM can not simply be looking the other way on anything especially when they have gotten feedback from their distributors in the respective territories. Hence why B and C list characters now have ES in the 500 and 600 range....or A- listers like Punisher and Black Panther have ES of 800. Has nothing to do with gray market sellers.

I just think if someone had a ton of money and could get some friends together to buy as many Dark Phoenix as they could at the con, they would do so. They'd hold out selling at cost because they know how popular the character is and how much people want her. So maybe that is why you see some gray market sellers still sitting on some older stuff.

Just a thought.
I wonder how many prestige members on XMs websites have grandmothers, cousins, grandfathers, old college roomates all with prestige accounts themselves who all do some type of private pickup at the XM warehouses.... maybe with a cubevan ... lol

So on another note the more I look at this one the more I like it. I hope it comes out really well because it has a fantastic headsculpt and feel right now.
Spidey976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #296
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

So what is a fair price gor this before shipping costs?
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #297
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Aside from it's list price? Given we don't know what all is included, I usually find the XM listed price to be fair -- but if you need middlemen, I wouldn't pay more than $150 more for the handling/acquisition fee.

Then again, I'm not an evil flipper.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #298
Synzaic
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Well i definetly need a middleman. Retail is usually $990 sgd...unless this is more. Is $150 above retail a realistic number? I thought this was an event exclusive....the person would have to line up to get 1
Synzaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #299
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synzaic View Post
Well i definetly need a middleman. Retail is usually $990 sgd...unless this is more. Is $150 above retail a realistic number? I thought this was an event exclusive....the person would have to line up to get 1
No, this is an XM exclusive, not an event exclusive.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #300
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synzaic View Post
$200-$250 SGD over retail is more realistic.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote