Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
jasong888
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

yeah i've seen corey help his bro out a lot. great guy.

as for raffles, it depends on the show but sometimes he only does one day of raffles because he is so backed up with panels and signings. at phoenix comic con he had a list and you just put your name and what character you want and JSC just goes through it and picks what he wants to do.
jasong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagouch17 View Post
I would imagine Cory would help him with this of course.

I think the last couple show he didn't do a sketch raffle. First come first served. I think he was charging 300-400 for those copic head and bust shots I think?
Good gravy that headshot is not currently in the budget!

Guess he shall wait another year.

Knowing is half the battle *insert GI Joe yell here*
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Underdog07
Hercules

If I buy something am I a customer?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Spazzy
Hercules

Good!

Didn't have a good dealing with Graphic Collectibles, never cared to buy from again.

I won a raffle a couple years ago, but I got the call when I came home from the trip...man I was bummed! To me it wasn't feasible to drive back another 3-4 hrs....yeah yeah I know I can regret it NOW.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
If I buy something am I a customer?
You're a patron.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
ratchet
Mandarin

Do you find this more and more Royd? Artists Repping themselves? Or is it just the high end artists whose art sells for outrageous amounts that don't seem to need "help" making their art sell?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
Royd
Producer
Producer

I was just struck by the coincidence of 2 high profile artists who had decided to go their own as regards art sales. It could be a trend but too early to call, probably just a matter of the artist having someone able to take on the job at home.

As you indicated, the high profile artists probaly don't need as much "help" selling (or advertising and promoting) their for sale work but many still can't be bothered with the "hassle" of obtaining quotes from the post office, arranging time payments, packing and posting the artwork etc.

As regards art dealer percentages, I've heard different amounts quoted (and it's not my business to mention them publicly) but I'm only a small scale art dealer and I want to remain competitive so mine is (I believe) low in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Do you find this more and more Royd? Artists Repping themselves? Or is it just the high end artists whose art sells for outrageous amounts that don't seem to need "help" making their art sell?
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

My thought is that just because JSC is repping himself doesn't have to mean he's doing all the legwork himself. He could have hired his nephew, a buddy, or someone local. Maybe he just wants to be able to get his hands on his artwork whenever he pleases. As I can't see Mitch being the issue, as he has a solid rep, I'm inclined to think this is a convenience thing.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #19
MitchMan
Comic Art Dealer
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
My thought is that just because JSC is repping himself doesn't have to mean he's doing all the legwork himself. He could have hired his nephew, a buddy, or someone local. Maybe he just wants to be able to get his hands on his artwork whenever he pleases. As I can't see Mitch being the issue, as he has a solid rep, I'm inclined to think this is a convenience thing.
It very much is a convenience issue.

Jeff's sister-in-law has been running the website for a while now, and Jeff's brother has been working the shows with Jeff.

It was only a matter of time before Jeff sold his art. I saw the writing on the wall, and have no problems with him doing so and wished him luck.

MI
MitchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

I always feel safer knowing someone other than the artist is handling orders. I buy from one artist constantly because I trust him. Most of the times... Guess what... The artist cant deliver on-time. Or it's poor packaging and the art gets damaged. Recently, an inker in NY didnt rush to deliver my piece until i had paypal take back the money. They should focus on drawing and let someone else handle the emails and customer service.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote