Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #21
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The likeness on the ROTJ Luke was great IMO so I have faith.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
In this case I mean to question whether or not there is anything you find you can value in the released products of GG? I would venture to guess that when you said you'd sell the collection you probably would keep certain things you were fond of?
Or would you seriously get rid of everything?
Is there a way you could maintain some of your more cherished busts/statues without having all or none?
I personally couldn't be happier with what GG has put out so far. The success rate is at least 99% in my opinion. Would I want MORE? Hell yes! I can't ask for more quality because with a few exceptions they have more home runs in the SW category than most other companies. (when they get around to it)
Now that doesn't mean I haven't entertained the thought of going the Sideshow route. Their SW stuff is starting to look really tempting with their PF statues and life size busts. Gentle Giant needs to really up the game if they want to compete. The current Luke Bespin is not cutting it for me, when Sideshow just previewed the Luke ROTJ which for me is looking way too good to pass up.
I want the Oola bust too, along with as much variety
of characters as possible when it comes to SW, variety we've all come to love from GG. I however wouldn't sell everything if they went belly up today and I can't understand how anyone else would?
But thanks for clarifying for me why you would, space is important and obviously with better products being released more money is a huge factor. But I'd ask you if you had any pieces you felt you might hang on to, which one/ones would you decide to keep....or would you clean house?
That's a tough one. This is the reason I'm "inching" towards selling off the collection. Sure GG has been frustrating to deal with as far as customer service and product release schedule, but you really can't argue with 95% of the product line being fantastic. With exceptions like Qui Gon and some of the earlier pieces not having arms (and therefore lightsabers) they are outstanding collectibles. So I really do go back and forth on this. But if they end up canceling pieces that have been long in coming, and then never getting to key characters like Ep VI Emperor, Queen Amidala, even Jar Jar, etc. It starts tipping in the sell off direction. While I'm not a completist, (there are a couple of the more recent ones I haven't gotten around to picking up and I don't buy bronze or chrome) I collect lines, so it's more of an all or nothing. So I'm looking at the fact that Sideshow seems to be steaming ahead these days, not only with the PF, but also the legendary scale busts (I've ordered the Cmdr. Cody). I also wouldn't be surprised to see them announce comiquettes in the near future. So then all of a sudden I'm looking at 1:6 busts that are taking up quite a bit of shelf space, and realize that if I sold them now they'd pull in $3K-$4K or so, which I could then put to SS PFs, LSBs or comiquettes. Plus I would likely sell the Harry Potter, Matrix and LoTR lines as well. I recently sold the Terminator busts because I have the CM endos and the Sideshow Arnie Terminator. Like a lot of collectors, I do follow the pattern of buy > sell > upgrade.
But for the time being the point is moot. It seems the upcoming busts are just delayed, so I'll probably hold out another year and see what happens. I may even re-up the Collectors Club, who knows. I have always wanted GG to pull themselves together with regards to their bust lines. At some point the SW line will end and hopefully it will be a nice and prolific representation for which I can locate a permanent home. However if SS were to announce comiquettes and show off 5 great designs to kick it off as well as a couple of new PFs, I might do some real fast scrambling.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

UPDATE: per diamond rep, the solicitation was pulled only so they can re-solicit in February 2010 closer to the "new" release dates.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #24
UC7
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.
Adamantium Plus Member

This is common for Diamond and GG. The same thing happened for the Boba Fett/Han in Carbonite statue. If the dealer creates big delays, Diamond will cancel all of the orders only to re-solicit with redordering done through your local comic book shops. The only trouble would be if your LCBS didn't remember to put the orders back in once the items arrive back on the Diamond order list.
UC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #25
tank-bustaz
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

another delay?
please don't, I already PO them all, by full payment on local store
tank-bustaz is offline   Reply With Quote