Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorick View Post
simple...there's no real consequences. we still buy em all, so why wouldn't they just run whatever timetable they want.

If for even one release, all (or a significant number of) orders were cancelled by the consumer due to the producer breaking their promise, you would certainly see a paradigm shift and they would make darn sure they got the next ones out on time.
Good point.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #12
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nuff View Post
If that's the case...Why don't they wait until it is actually in production to announce a release date...?...
Because they can't wait to show it off but its too early to really know when it'll be done.

I think sneeks are part of the problem. By the time a buyer has a finished product in their hands they can remember seeing the piece in progress for the last six months (we are guilty of this as well). Some producers like to gauge interest or are looking for feedback on the sculpt.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Wake View Post
A producer bases the release date off of what the sculptor and caster tell him. After that anything can go wrong, and usually does.
Usually? Try ALWAYS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Wake View Post
For our next piece and all future ones thereafter, we're going to have it sculpted and molded with casts in hand before anyone even hears a peep about it. That way a buyer can say, "That looks cool, I want one", and 2-3 days later its in their hands.
I usually float the projects until the point the molding is done and casting has started, at that point the project is pretty much done and the wait is usually a week or 2 tops, which is pretty acceptable IMO. But, waiting months and months far pieces have been paid for and no delivery has been made is simply not acceptable. Thankfully ... the only piece that I've really hit a significant snafoo on has been Fate.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
If that's the case...Why don't they wait until it is actually in production to announce a release date...?...
Even after a piece has been produced, manufactured and completed, shipping is also a royal pain in the ass! 99% of the pieces we buy for our collections are made overseas, anyone that's ever had anything held in customs will tell you what a nightmare that can be, whole containers can be held up from a few days to a few months, even if the problem isn't with your merchandise!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Usually? Try ALWAYS!!!

I usually float the projects until the point the molding is done and casting has started, at that point the project is pretty much done and the wait is usually a week or 2 tops, which is pretty acceptable IMO. But, waiting months and months far pieces have been paid for and no delivery has been made is simply not acceptable. Thankfully ... the only piece that I've really hit a significant snafoo on has been Fate.
I'm very anal and somewhat of a bookworm nerd but its not snafoo but snafu. Its a acronym meaning Situation Normal All Fu@ked Up, but I digress. I think this is a multifold problem.

1.) Manufactures are trying to get a feel of what people want so they show what they intend to make just to see what the response is.

2.) Fans demand to see the latest things. I think if you wait to late to show your stuff people may go with the first item out or at least be biased toward the first one or in other words you get scooped. In this market where spending dollars are very tight, if you get your product out first, people may not buy yours because they already got one and don't have the money for second.

3.) Manufacture problems can also delay shipment which is beyond the control of the statue company. Labor problems, backlogs, quality control, weather, accidents, ect., all play into when something arrives. A said shipping time is never set in stone.

4.) License deal falls through. This is when companies like Marvel or DC pull the plug on a proposed sculpt and its happened before and will happen again.

Bottom line is that statue companies walk a very thin line and I don't envy the position they are in. Damn if you do damn if you don't.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
Teague
Iron Man

This is a rampant, serious issue with the entire hobby. Statues, comics, etc.--there are no repercussions for missing deadlines. Until there are, I don't see anything changing.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Not my problem. I still want my stuff on time lol.....
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Not my problem. I still want my stuff on time lol.....
Which is exactly why you always get yours last .. or hadn't you noticed?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #19
Makkari1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
Which is exactly why you always get yours last .. or hadn't you noticed?
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #20
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
Thanks I didn`t notice now it`s time to share my views on the following topics.

Religion,homosexuals,politics,death penalty,outsourcing of jobs,global warming,overpopulation.
Quote:
Don't think I will live long enough to read all of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
I don`t think i`ll live long enough to type it.
Dipping into the shallow well once again, eh???
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote