Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #1451
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
if thats the case i guess i get, it in a way. something needs to blow me away to get my money - still, i dont judge how someone else wants to spend theirs
Yes and no (for me).

I don't judge people on how they spend their money (well, I try not to anyway). But, on the flip side, people publicly stating "meh, it's 'aight but hey I'm going to give Sideshow $700 for it anyway, even though I'm not in love with it," honestly just tells Sideshow they can put less effort into their pieces but people will just buy them anyway. Ends up hurting collectors in the long run.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #1452
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yes and no (for me).

I don't judge people on how they spend their money (well, I try not to anyway). But, on the flip side, people publicly stating "meh, it's 'aight but hey I'm going to give Sideshow $700 for it anyway, even though I'm not in love with it," honestly just tells Sideshow they can put less effort into their pieces but people will just buy them anyway. Ends up hurting collectors in the long run.
I believe this to be true. It gives sideshow the opportunity to keep things business as usual and continue to give us mediocre sculpts because there are peeps out there that will purchase 'meh' sculpts.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #1453
WalkerFodder
The X-Men

As a huge Magneto fan and a non-fan of Swamp Thing, I'd rather buy Swamp Thing than this Magneto interpretation.

This hobby is half art appreciation and half fandom for me. I won't settle for less than incredible if I'm bringing my first Magneto into my home knowing Daniel Bel's is out there and much better (imo).

This Swamp Thing, on the other hand, is the best one out there and very unique. That's why'd I'd comfortably wait for a better Magneto to come along....because it will.
WalkerFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #1454
Odank
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
$1000 to one person may be 10% of what they have in the bank... for others it's a half day's pay, so I don't think it's as simple as saying "low standards". There are a lot of folks in this hobby with tons of disposable income.
That's the same as saying that I'm going to purchase something "meh" art just because it's only a fraction of my disposable income. I don't see this as anything positive nor praiseworthy. If anything it's destructive on the broader community and just reinforces a really bad habit.
Odank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #1455
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Yes and no (for me).

While this may or may not be true, I think for a lot of collectors it is more a lack of options. Collectors have wanted a 1/4 scale Magneto for years to finish a collection or display... the options are the XM which was hard for most to get and now costs a fortune or custom statues which are even harder to get and still cost a fortune. So something a "meh" statue will do just fine. My opinion the statue is actually pretty great besides the mixed media.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #1456
Y3E
Gen 13

I'll admit when I first saw a pic of the statue I wasn't blown away but after looking at the videos I think it is a good statue, enough for me to pre-order. Definitely not a meh statue.

This may not be the ideal representation of Mags, that goes to a custom one, but when I get it, I will be adding "floating" stuff to it to make his power more obvious
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #1457
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Yes and no (for me).

i can understand that, regardless i just think if somethings not for you its better just to shrug it off and move on. ive been let down, really let down with some pieces but i dont care how well they do or dont sell. hoping something doesnt sell well because i dont like it seems a little too malicious for me personally. if anything i prefer they do better just because it increases the chances of the character getting a revisit and i feel the effort the artists put into the statue (despite how i feel about the outcome) should be recognized. and i certainly dont care if someone decided it was "good enough" for their collection and spent their money to purchase it
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #1458
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
i can understand that, regardless i just think if somethings not for you its better just to shrug it off and move on. ive been let down, really let down with some pieces but i dont care how well they do or dont sell. hoping something doesnt sell well because i dont like it seems a little too malicious for me personally. if anything i prefer they do better just because it increases the chances of the character getting a revisit and i feel the effort the artists put into the statue (despite how i feel about the outcome) should be recognized. and i certainly dont care if someone decided it was "good enough" for their collection and spent their money to purchase it
Yes, but sometimes it's quite hard to just shrug it off and move one when some people (myself included) have been wanting a Magneto for like 9 years only to be shown a Magneto they have no interest in purchasing.

That's like saying they are finally making a movie of your favorite comic book that you've waited years and years to see on the big screen. Then you finally go to the movie and it sucks monkey balls (LOL and no I'm not saying this statue sucks monkey balls, it was just an example). Most people would be quite disappointed, and unable to just "move on" that quickly.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #1459
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I believe this to be true. It gives sideshow the opportunity to keep things business as usual and continue to give us mediocre sculpts because there are peeps out there that will purchase 'meh' sculpts.
just because their vision does not align with yours, doesnt make it mediocre
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #1460
Odank
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Yes, but sometimes it's quite hard to just shrug it off and move one when some people (myself included) have been wanting a Magneto for like 9 years only to be shown a Magneto they have no interest in purchasing.

That's like saying they are finally making a movie of your favorite comic book that you've waited years and years to see on the big screen. Then you finally go to the movie and it sucks monkey balls (LOL and no I'm not saying this statue sucks monkey balls, it was just an example). Most people would be quite disappointed, and unable to just "move on" that quickly.
This is exactly the problem with certain collectors, and they fold. Maintaining and adhering to your personal standards because there were previous examples excellence should equally not be thrown to the wind unless of course the statue genuinely appeals to you.
Odank is offline   Reply With Quote