Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #11
KELPIE
New Republic

What's to say this isn't just a variant cover with the contents inside still giving him his new look?
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Are the new Superman comics still about him trying to express himself through angst and frustration or did they bring him back to being a real man and a force of nature?
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardjones View Post
Are the new Superman comics still about him trying to express himself through angst and frustration or did they bring him back to being a real man and a force of nature?
The New Superman Comics are very much the Post Crisis Superman. It's the Clark we've known for about 30 years now and it's fantastic. Even with the kid element it works, and works better than any of that New52 crap.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #14
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
The New Superman Comics are very much the Post Crisis Superman. It's the Clark we've known for about 30 years now and it's fantastic. Even with the kid element it works, and works better than any of that New52 crap.
I like him as a father as my preference is Superman is mature and caring individual who also has amazing powers. His son Jon gives a great outlet is people want a new hero who is still learning a lot.

I never got why comic companies got so scared of super heroes becoming adults (ex: Spider-Man). It changes the story, it doesn't end it.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I like him as a father as my preference is Superman is mature and caring individual who also has amazing powers. His son Jon gives a great outlet is people want a new hero who is still learning a lot.

I never got why comic companies got so scared of super heroes becoming adults (ex: Spider-Man). It changes the story, it doesn't end it.
I think they feel that they won't relate to younger readers but I don't believe that's the case. Everyone knows a father or at least a father figure.

I think Superman is one of the better Rebirth books, probably top 3.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #16
adee
Green Arrow

I just re read my first post an realized there may be some younger people who don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #17
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
I think they feel that they won't relate to younger readers but I don't believe that's the case. Everyone knows a father or at least a father figure.

I think Superman is one of the better Rebirth books, probably top 3.
Based on my experience lately comic fans that actually buy books aren't kids, they are adults in their 30s and 40s.

When I was a kid comic was $1.00 and were regularly at grocery store. I'd read them while my Mom shopped and then beg for my favorite. She generally obliged because it wasn't that much.

Now it is $3.00-$4.00 and I only see them in comic shops. Part of this is print dying, and shift in how kids interact with the world. My 12 year old nephew loves Spider-Man. I took him to "Homecoming", he loved it. I offered to buy him some comics, he politely declined.

The movies resonate, but the core business of comics doesn't seem to get to kids the way it did in the 80s and 90s. Much of this is anecdotal, but the sales charts show how much the market declined over last 25 years.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #18
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Agree. This actually is the only DC comic book I now read. Everything else, first after New 52 and then after the Rebirth course correction, I’ve dropped. King’s Batman had me for a minute with his Superman “Super Friends” two-parter but the following two issues were ho-hum at best, and I dropped Metal with the third issue.

Superman is it for me.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #19
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Agree. This actually is the only DC comic book I now read. Everything else, first after New 52 and then after the Rebirth course correction, I’ve dropped. King’s Batman had me for a minute with his Superman “Super Friends” two-parter but the following two issues were ho-hum at best, and I dropped Metal with the third issue.

Superman is it for me.
I have no interest in Metal because it just seems like shock jock stuff(Which is nothing wrong with that if you are into it). Never really got behind the idea of an Evil murderous version of Batman outside of maybe Owl Man in Earth 2. But again, that was Earth 2 version of Batman.
I felt sort of the same way about Blackest Night as they took an amazing Green Lantern story and turned it into a big DC event. Could have done without seeing a zombie version of allot of the dc heroes.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #20
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

Superman is it for me.
I'm Still reading Batman, but Detective Comics is oh so much better. Wonder Woman, but that's fallen off as of late. I dropped Green Arrow, terrible. I'm Reading Titans, that's been good, so has Nightwing. And Doomsday Clock, which is just weird enough to hold my interest.

But yeah, it's slim-pickin's, and not just for DC, unfortunately.