Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
Shoo
The Enchantress

Marvel's Conan Reprints Coming in 2019

Quote:
New York, NY—June 15, 2018—Know, oh prince, that in the year 1970, CONAN THE BARBARIAN, sword in hand, slashed his way into four-color life. This January, ahead of Conan’s triumphant return to Marvel Comics, Marvel is proud to announce the release of CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS. Fully remastered, this tome features Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith’s ground-breaking adaptation of Robert E. Howard’s iconic character.

Collecting CONAN THE BARBARIAN #1-26 from 1970-1973—as well as material from 1971’s SAVAGE TALES #1 and #4, CHAMBER OF DARKNESS #4, and CONAN CLASSIC #1-11—the CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS omnibus presents each story in all its glory, from covers to letter pages, all painstakingly restored to match the beauty of the original editions.

Relive the early exploits of Conan across shining kingdoms of an age undreamed of, as he becomes thief, slayer and a legend.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE ORIGINAL MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL. 1
Written by ROY THOMAS with BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH, JOHN JAKES, MICHAL MOORCOCK and JAMES CAWTHORN
Art by BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH with GIL KANE and JOHN BUSCEMA
Cover by JOHN CASSADAY

Link to the Newsarama article.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I will definetly get this I love Conan.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Love Conan, not sure I need this, got dark horses collected editions from the marvel years.
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

While I don't have a complete run of the originals, I'm sure I'm pretty close.

This is still cool if you don't have them.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

I'll probably be getting this even though I have most of the B. Smith stuff collected in other trades. I'm more excited to see that Dark Horse is finally going to follow up their original Colossal Conan, which collected the 1st 50 issues of their Conan book with Colossal Conan The Cimmerian, which collects the 1st 25 issues of that book available Halloween. . I will be getting that, for sure.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Love Conan, not sure I need this, got dark horses collected editions from the marvel years.
As I understand, those editions were rather lackluster and left quite a bit to be desired, what with the dubious modern coloring (for the BWS pencilled issues on the separate 2-books edition) and glaring omissions (some covers, Red Sonja appearances).

These will be lovingly restored by the great, meticulous, Cory Sedlmeier, and will include all of that and readers' letters, too, which is always nice to have. I'm positive it will be the collected edition to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I'll probably be getting this even though I have most of the B. Smith stuff collected in other trades. I'm more excited to see that Dark Horse is finally going to follow up their original Colossal Conan, which collected the 1st 50 issues of their Conan book with Colossal Conan The Cimmerian, which collects the 1st 25 issues of that book available Halloween. . I will be getting that, for sure.
Yeah, that's nice. The original 'The Colossal Conan' is definitely one of the contenders to heaviest book I own, along with Dark Horse's own 'Big Damn Sin City' and Taschen's '75 Years of Marvel' and 'The Complete Little Nemo'.

It was now or never for Dark Horse to release the rest of their Conan in a similarly deluxe edition.

Surely you'll be getting 'The Colossal King Conan', too, the following month:

Old 06-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

The original Colossal Conan is so damn heavy. I was reading mine last night on the sofa & it was resting on my stomach & became too uncomfortable to keep on reading that way. I had to move to the kitchen table. YES! I'll be getting that King Conan too! I'm gonna really miss the Dark Horse years with the character even though they've kind of "dropped the ball" these past couple of years. 2018 is turning out to be the year of epic Conan reprints. I'm still cautiously curious as the how Marvel will take back the Barbarian. I hope they don't water him down to make for a bigger audience. Also, will Marvel have the ability to make a Conan movie under their banner?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
The original Colossal Conan is so damn heavy. I was reading mine last night on the sofa & it was resting on my stomach & became too uncomfortable to keep on reading that way. I had to move to the kitchen table.
Yeah, that book is a beast! But it's also surprisingly well done for such a mammoth size. I wonder if the new Colossal books will actually be that large, as Amazon seems to say otherwise at the moment.

Quote:
I hope they don't water him down to make for a bigger audience.
That would be a big fail, but I trust that won't be the case.

Quote:
Also, will Marvel have the ability to make a Conan movie under their banner?
Even if they do (though I'd wager it's just a comics agreement), I think it's rather unlikely they would. At least under the Marvel banner.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I don't have the 1st Colossal Conan. Will they reprint the first Colossal Conan ? if they reprint it, i will definetly get all of the Colossal Conans.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Love the bronze age run on Conan
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote