Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #11
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post

I think I've been coming up with Avengers rosters ever since reading Avengers 181 where the US government stepped in and imposed their own membership. Over the years I've probably come up with hundreds. Seriously, it borders on being obsessive compulsive.

The Big Three will always be the core of any Avengers team worthy of the name.

1. Captain America (Steve Rogers)
2. Thor Odinson
3. Iron Man (Tony Stark)

After that I love to see characters who have have never had membership, but who have had some association with the team in the past.

4. Goliath (Bill or Tom Foster)
5. Red Wolf (William Talltrees)
6. Amora the Enchantress
7. Leir, Celtic God of Lightning (obscure I know, but always thought he could be fun in a Hercules kind of way)
8. Black Cat (Felicia Hardy)
I always wanted them to use Tom Foster more as Goliath. I know that a new Giant Man was introduced and used in the Ultimates but, like Tom, he was not really heard of much.

Also, that is Avengers cover is probably one of George Perez's all time best Avengers covers ever.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Always have to start with the big 3: Thor, Cap and Iron Man. I'd like to see the team to be more globally diverse by adding Dust, Collective Man, Black Widow, Black Panther and Darkstar
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #13
One Above All
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Iron Man
Shazam
Box
RipClaw
One Above All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Hmm, not many Bendis Avengers mentioned. I see one vote each for Wolverine and Spider-Woman and no votes for Spider-Man or Luke Cage so far.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
statman
Baron Zemo

Iron Man
Cap
Thor
Wonder Man
Scarlet Witch
Ms Marvel/Warbird
She-Hulk
Wasp
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #16
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Hmm, not many Bendis Avengers mentioned. I see one vote each for Wolverine and Spider-Woman and no votes for Spider-Man or Luke Cage so far.
That's because even though they were shoved down our throats by Bendis, especially Cage, I refuse to see them as Avengers
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon View Post
That's because even though they were shoved down our throats by Bendis, especially Cage, I refuse to see them as Avengers
Agree, brother.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #18
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I remember reading that Roger Stern was going to bring Luke Cage into the Avengers as a member during his run but due to a disagreement with Mark Gruenwald (who thought that Captain Marvel should be disgraced as the leader of the Avengers and that Captain America should be the leader of the Avengers) he ended up leaving the title.

I always thought that Bendis's Avengers should have been called "the Defenders" because it did have that "non-team" type of feel. I did read his run but lately I have been going through all of my boxes of comics and getting rid of issues that I knew I did not want anymore (my criteria was if I had no desire to re-read them they were history) and I have to say that Bendis's Avengers were books I am getting rid of. They were just not Avengers stories I would care to read again. However, for some that was there intro to the Avengers and probably there favorites so I say more power to them. That is the nice thing about reading comics is that we all have the "who is the Iconic Batman Artist", "who Avengers run really defined the team", etc and no one is really wrong.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #19
protector2814
Phoenix

Bendis' Avengers, Disassembled is one of my favorite Avenger's arcs of all time! Gosh, that 1st issue scene where all-absolute-hell breaks loose at the UN & at the Avenger's grounds was/is mindblowing for me. I purchased both the comics & the trade(s) & read the trade at least once a year. I had no problems with his writings on this book. Finch & Bendis on the core book was just an amzing team.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #20
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I remember reading that Roger Stern was going to bring Luke Cage into the Avengers as a member during his run but due to a disagreement with Mark Gruenwald (who thought that Captain Marvel should be disgraced as the leader of the Avengers and that Captain America should be the leader of the Avengers) he ended up leaving the title.

I always thought that Bendis's Avengers should have been called "the Defenders" because it did have that "non-team" type of feel.
Which Captain Marvel are you talking about?

It was funny when Bendis addressed the Defenders criticism (via Nighthawk) early in the series:

ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote