Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 08-10-2022, 07:28 PM   #3291
MASTERSAFARA
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shoosh View Post
^ Good points, and a grand idea of an alternate final showdown.

Being halfway through the week at work, I’ve had a few conversations with coworkers. It’s been awhile since I’ve had this much enjoyment dissecting a movie. It’s not for everyone, that’s for sure. But I’m a closet predator fan that most wouldn’t know because, well, why would they? I have the JH predator tattooed on my arm, and this particular 1:3 on pre order. My point, this predator fan liked “Prey”. I put it right behind part 2 for my third ranking spot. But I’m not too naive to say it didn’t have a few flaws.

I agree. Prey gets my 3 spot in the franchise as well. Predator, Predator 2 then Prey. Predators and The Predator were complete abominations and there is nothing at all that I like from either film. The Predator was just a joke. It?s a shame even Shane Black as a director and an original cast member no less did such an injustice to the franchise.

As a far as AVP and AVP-R, they were bad films but each had redeeming things. AVP had the ending I?m looking for in an aliens vs Predator live action movie in the final act with Scar vs the Queen. And from AVP-R we got one of the most bad ass Predator designs aesthetically speaking in Wolf.

Back to the newest installment in Prey, overall it?s definitely worthy imo.

I especially liked how they included the lost tribe flint lock pistol easter egg. Now we know exactly where it came from and who it belonged to. They could easily do something with that in a sequel if they wanted to. Something that continues to trace the origins of Predators in general maybe exploring the lost tribe and expanding what we know about them.
MASTERSAFARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #3292
MASTERSAFARA

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Yeah, the bio looked decent enough, but it didn't make much sense regarding tech applied to it.
The guy hired to design Feral shared some insight on Twitter. Here are some of his posts regarding Feral?s design:

Quote:
For those asking what my role on #Prey was, I was tasked with the #feralpredator?s creature design and mask design? an honor I am still wrapping my head around? gig of a lifetime?
https://twitter.com/mv_creatures/sta...q-DXmmQRQXlmtg

Quote:
heat-sensitive nodes under bone plates send the data to his network of heat sensing organs in the frill and compiles into a visual feed to his eyes - predator since the 1st film has lousy vision when unmasked, at least in our atmosphere

Quote:
Genetic isolation with different environmental pressures yields a variant of yautja? adapted to a drier climate? thinner, waxier dreads, thicker oral tissue, & scalier skin for moisture retention, favors crushing bite for different diet?

Quote:
Breathes primarily through spiracles in the casque (not those 2 big cavities, those are heat sensitive ?pits?!), an adaptation for a less jungly, less oxygenated atmosphere?

Quote:
Thicker brow houses heat sensitive organs, which the mask is designed to interface with? thinner casque loses less water?

Quote:
Bone has a special cultural significance to the Feral subspecies? not only their armor but as a diet staple? a careful look at the mouth reveals molars outfitted for osteophagy?

I do think the masked Feral look looks cool but it?s impractical in terms of vision I don?t care much for the explanation on how Feral see?s through the mask. And while I think masked Feral looks cool, it does remind me of Covenant alien from Halo.

Here is work by John Chen who shared his work on twitter. His work is a great example of how it could?ve looked better imo.

I also have a problem with the anatomy of the abdomen. Feral has 16 abs? And 6 are located above the rib cage going into the chest pectoral muscles.

It looks ridiculous and is most evident in the final act scene just before Naru jumps on him from the tree, under moon light you see Feral approaching feeling out the ground with his feet, you get a great look at the abdomen and how ridiculous it looks on screen. Again it?s a bit too ridiculous looking for my taste.

Regarding the unmasked face design, not a huge fan upon my first impressions, but if I think in terms of this giving us more variety in Predators facial features, not every Predator can look exactly the same, I can warn up to it. It looks better on screen.

The final problem I can think of at the moment I didn?t really like was the movement of the Predator. I don?t think the actor Dane DiLiegro moved like a Predator should. Kevin Peter Hall set the precedent on the movement and is a legend for doing so. No one has done it better.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:01 PM   #3293
MASTERSAFARA

Cool

Thing is what?s been done is final now and is part of the Predator lore. I skipped anything from Predators and The Predator but this being a statue forum I liked Prey enough to say now bring on the collectibles!
Old 08-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #3294
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

That's awesome. Thanks for posting that. I love when a designer puts thought into it beyond the obvious; trying to explain all his design choices, whether you agree with them or not.

As for the abs...maybe it stands out somewhat. You know, humans can vary from two to twelve...
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:07 PM   #3295
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERSAFARA View Post
I agree. Prey gets my 3 spot in the franchise as well. Predator, Predator 2 then Prey. Predators and The Predator were complete abominations and there is nothing at all that I like from either film. The Predator was just a joke. It?s a shame even Shane Black as a director and an original cast member no less did such an injustice to the franchise.

As a far as AVP and AVP-R, they were bad films but each had redeeming things. AVP had the ending I?m looking for in an aliens vs Predator live action movie in the final act with Scar vs the Queen. And from AVP-R we got one of the most bad ass Predator designs aesthetically speaking in Wolf.

Back to the newest installment in Prey, overall it?s definitely worthy imo.

I especially liked how they included the lost tribe flint lock pistol easter egg. Now we know exactly where it came from and who it belonged to. They could easily do something with that in a sequel if they wanted to. Something that continues to trace the origins of Predators in general maybe exploring the lost tribe and expanding what we know about them.
To me, It's still a no brainer to me that someone needs to do a film where Machiko gets introduced and run with maybe a 2 or 3 part film series that follows her.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:28 PM   #3296
MASTERSAFARA

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
To me, It's still a no brainer to me that someone needs to do a film where Machiko gets introduced and run with maybe a 2 or 3 part film series that follows her.
Couldnt agree more. I?ve read the comics and the book of that story and just waiting and hoping one day we?ll see it on screen.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #3297
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:

this thing closely resembles the early SWS concept sketches, a blend of the two.

this design is pathetic. an embarassment to the franchise. what's even worse if people are welcoming it with open arms because they saw it on the computer screen and it's the current BIG thing.

Look at these two, OH MY GOODNESS, it's sooooooooo bad.

The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:48 PM   #3298
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
yeahhhhhh...I'm gonna have to sit that one out.

the rumor is after they make that one, they are gonna make PREDATOR: Love and Thunder.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:03 PM   #3299
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
My god, looks like Sloth and a yautja had offspring...HEEEY YOOOUU GUUUYYYS
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:36 PM   #3300
Blade3327
Nightwing

So much thought put into the biology of the design (which is great, don't get me wrong), but zero consideration for aesthetics.

And the body anatomy makes no sense. Way too many small muscles on the torso, which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't look so fake. They look like they were etched in, rather than round masses that interlock with each other like real muscles do.

Worst offenders for me are the hands. Thick, bulbous fingers with no breakup in texture or shape from the base all the way to the tip. No knuckles, nothing to prevent them from looking like rubber gloves. This is something ADI has struggled with since AVP.
Blade3327 is offline   Reply With Quote