Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Grendelscott's DVD Corner: 10/23/05

Welcome back! Just to recap for any new members, each week I will post what is due out that week (or at least most of the main stream releases, as anywhere from 100-300 DVDs are released each week). I'll then spotlight a DVD with a review or news about a new one coming out. Finally, I'll post a DVD easter egg or two each week. Many of you might already know of them, but they are fun things to find "hidden" on your DVDs.

Another big week. Two more versions (YES, TWO) of Wizard of Oz. New versions of Titanic (based on what continent you live on). For the Bewitched Fans out there, they are releasing season 2 in two versions - one colorized and one B&W. The milking of the DVD public continues...

DVD releases due out Tuesday, Oct 25th:

Movies:
TV Seasons/Box Sets:
  • Alias: The Complete Season Four (Box Cover)
  • The Ambassador (Box Cover)
  • American Gothic: The Complete Series (Box Cover)
  • Best Of MADtv Seasons 8, 9 & 10 (Box Cover)
  • The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction Christmas Collection (Box Cover)
  • Bewitched: The Complete Second Season (Box Cover)
  • The Charles Dic kens Collection (Box Cover)
  • Degrassi Junior High: The Complete Series (Box Cover)
  • The Doris Day Show, Season 2 (Box Cover)
  • Hart to Hart: The First Season (Box Cover)
  • In Living Color Season Four (Box Cover)
  • Jerry Lewis - "The Legendary Jerry" Collection (Box Cover)
  • Ken Burns American Lives (Box Cover)
  • The L Word: The Complete Second Season (Box Cover)
  • The Masterpiece Theatre Collection-Romance (Box Cover)
  • The Munsters: The Complete Second Season (Box Cover)
  • The Mystery! Collection (Box Cover)
  • Point Pleasant (Box Cover)
  • Rebel Samurai: Sixties Swordplay Classics (Box Cover)
  • Tales From the Crypt: The Complete Second Season (Box Cover)
  • 3rd Rock From the Sun Season Two (Box Cover)
  • Tripping the Rift: Complete First Season (Box Cover)

DVD INFO
Titanic Special Edition - US Version
From DVD Empire

The biggest movie of all time sets sail with over 3 hours of special features.

Leonardo DiCaprio and OscarĀ®-nominee Kate Winslet light up the screen as Jack and Rose, the young lovers who find one another on the maiden voyage of the "unsinkable" R.M.S. Titanic. But when the doomed luxury liner collides with an iceberg in the frigid North Atlantic, their passionate love affair becomes a thrilling race for survival. From acclaimed filmmaker James Cameron comes a tale of forbidden love and courage in the face of disaster that triumphs as a true cinematic masterpiece.

Features:
  • Lights, Cameron, Action! - Director James Cameron gives you his unique insight into the making of this epic masterpiece..
  • The Stars Speak Out! - Kate Winslet, Gloria Stuart and Lewis Abernathy talk about sailing into film history.
  • History In The Making - An exquisite commentary that puts you back in 1912, the year the ill-fated ship sailed.
  • Producers On Producing - Producer Jon Landau and Executive Producer Rae Sanchini shed some serious light on what it takes to re-create history.
  • Branching Out - Experience the film in Behind-the-Scenes Mode with over an hour of riveting branching footage.
  • Making The Scene - For the first time, over 45 minutes of deleted scenes are available for your viewing pleasure!
  • Alternate Ending - The never-before-seen ending that almost was: "Brock's Epiphany."
  • The Voice That Launched A Thousand Hearts - The magnificent Celine Dion's music video for the smash-hit song "My Heart Will Go On."
Video:
  • Widescreen 2.35:1 Color (Anamorphic)
Audio:
  • ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Surround [CC]
  • ENGLISH: DTS ES 6.1 [CC]
  • ENGLISH: DD-EX 5.1 [CC]
  • SPANISH: Dolby Digital Surround
  • FRENCH: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles:
  • English

Wizard Of Oz: Collector's Edition (3 Discs)
From DVD Empire

Dorothy (Judy Garland) lives on a farm in Kansas until a cyclone arrives, and picks her, her house, and her dog up and deposits them in the land of Oz. Things in Oz are strange and beautiful, but Dorothy just wants to get back home. She's helped by the Good Witch of the North, but she's also in trouble with the Wicked Witch of the West, who seeks revenge for the death of the Wicked Witch of the East, for which she blames Dorothy.

Features:
  • Collector's Edition Exclusive
    • Limited Edition Treasurable Reproductions of rare original 1939 Memorabilia: MGM Studio Magazine, Grauman's Opening Night Program, Grauman's Ticket and Invitation, nine Kodachrome Color Stills and a Photography Studies Guide Commentary by John Fricke and multiple cast and crew members
    • 9 original cast biographies
    • Deleted Scenes
  • Audio Vault:
    • Includes Munchkinland Medley Rehearsal Recordings, Munchkinland Medley Sequence Recordings; Munchkinland Medley Voice Tests Kansas Underscoring; Munchkinland Underscoring and much more
    • Cavalcade of the Academy Awards excerpt - 1939 newsreel
  • TV Special:
    • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic - 1990 TV special
    • Theatrical Trailers
  • Documentaries
    • L. Frank Baum: The Man Behind the Curtain - Collector's Edition Exclusive
    • Memories of Oz - 2001 TCM documentary
  • Featurettes
    • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook
    • Prettier Than Ever: The Restoration of Oz
    • The Art of Imagination: A Tribute to Oz
    • Because of the Wonderful Things it Does: The Legacy of Oz
  • Silent Films - Collector's Edition Exclusive
    • The Wizard of Oz - 1910 short
    • The Magic Cloak of Oz - 1914 short
    • His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz - 1914 feature
    • The Wizard of Oz - 1925 feature
    • The Wizard of Oz - 1933 animated short
  • Photo Galleries
    • Oz on Broadway
    • Pre-MGM
    • Sketches and Storyboards
    • Costume and Make-up Tests
    • Richard Thorpe's Oz
    • Buddy Ebsen
    • Oz Comes to Life
    • Behind the Scenes
    • Portraits
    • Special Effects
    • Post Production
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Original Publicity
Video:
  • Standard 1.33:1 Color
  • Standard 1.33:1 B&W
Audio:
  • ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
  • ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Mono
  • FRENCH: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles:
  • English
  • Spanish
  • French

This Week's DVD Easter Egg(s)

Predator Collector's Edition
Source: Eye Crave DVD

First disc - in the 'Special Features' section. Once there highlight the 'Main Menu' entry. Now press LEFT and the infamous 3-dot crosshair of the Predator will appear on the foliage. Press ENTER to see a clip of John McTiernan discuss how he learned about the art of film and filmmaking.

Second disc - highlight 'Inside the Predator.' Press UP to see the crosshair appear in the top right. Press ENTER to for an interview with Jesse Ventura called "Jesse's Ultimate Goal."

Head into the 'Predator Special Effects' submenu. Highlight the 'Main Menu' entry and press LEFT. Again the crosshair will appear. Press ENTER to see an interview with Stan Winston.

Now go back to the main menu and go into the photo gallery. Go to the 16th picture, it will be of Shane West, and the crosshair will appear. Press ENTER to see a featurette called "Don't Drink the Water."

That's all folks! Thanks for reading, and see you next week.

Last edited by grendelscott; 10-24-2005 at 04:56 AM.
grendelscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Ghost
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Sweet a special edition of A Bridge Too Far! I never picked up the first release cause I figured they'd upgrade it. Hope it's worth it.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

I liked the Left Behind books. I might check out the DVD.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Sweet a special edition of A Bridge Too Far! I never picked up the first release cause I figured they'd upgrade it. Hope it's worth it.
It is MGM after all...they seem to be doing a lot of new editions...
Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Is that Dominion any good?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
Bartman256
The X-Men

Grendel, ya left out one!

Kolchak: The Night Stalker

This series consisted of 20 episodes from 1974-75 NOT including the pilot from 1972 or the television movie from 1973 (these are available on another DVD).

For those not familiar, Carl Kolchak was a reporter played by Darren McGavin who always got mixed up in some sort of supernatural story/event. Werewolves, UFOs, Vampires, Zombies etc.

I was hooked as a kid on these episodes! Way before the X-Files, there was KOLCHAK!
Bartman256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
grendelscott
The Damned Mod
Adamantium Member

Thanks for the update Bartman...I realized that I left a few others out as well...the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol 3 and Tom and Jerry Collection Vol 2 (both of which I have been waiting for, even if they decided to make the the Tom and Jerry one politically correct again).

I picked up the Looney Tunes, Tripping the Rift, and Motley Crue Carnival of Sins Live today. Big haul this week...

As always, if anyone sees any that I miss, please post it here. There are so many new releases each week that I'm sure I miss some.

GS
Old 10-29-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Grendlescott, I picked up Tripping the Rift also. Best Buy has some exclusive content, basically an uncut episode, I think the first episode from season 2. My question, is this included as a extra disc or found under the bonus materials on disc 3? When BB has exclusive content on their DVDs it's usually an extra disc but this one doesn't seem to have it.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote