Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #41
Underdog07
Hercules

In addition to the Sony Bravia, I have a Panasonic Plasma (2 yrs old) and a Sharp Aquous LCD (2 yrs old). All 3 were rated as having the best picture when I purchased them.

That being said, I really like the Sony Bravia. My only complaint is I would prefer multiple HD ports, but if I were using a receiver that would be rectified.

Honestly - do some independent research. Plasmacity.com used to have great reviews. They still might. Also read consumer's reports. Also, be firm with a price. You don't need to spend 3 grand to get a quality TV. Finally, consider what you are going to have running into/out of the TV. If you have a killer surround system, don't worry about the sound quality. If it will be a stand alone TV, get one that has quality built in speakers.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #42
Bowen-Maniac
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickwinzs View Post
I read yesterday about the pros and cons of both, and the lcd tv sounds like the better deal, but I think 45" is the top size, if you want a bigger set you have to go plasma. If the info I got was correct
That is not true I recently bought a 50 inch Sony LCD for $2200.
Bowen-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #43
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkfan View Post
LCD gets my recommendation, hands down.

I have a 60" LCD now, it's not a flat-panel but it's an excellent TV. Is there a reason you must go with a wall-mounted TV? Going with a more traditional display gives you SO many more options. I bought my 60" Sony Wega HD LCD about a year and half ago for $3,000, it's a phenomenal picture and LCD technology is getting better every day.

I've been considering a flat-panel as well for our bedroom, and have weighed these characteristics between plasma and LCD:

Plasma: Burn-in risk, shorter life span, heavier & hotter machines, and a LOT of glare

LCD: Brighter picture, long life span, virtually glare-free (a big plus for me).

Now, Plasmas admittedly have excellent pictures (as long as you happen to be in a dark room with no windows ), and they have deeper blacks than most others.... But the cons listed above were just too much for me, and I think I'm going with another LCD for the bedroom.

That's my 2 cents anyway.
My wife wants to hang it over our fake fireplace (it is a ventless heater that looks like a fireplace. We only have so much room in our den. I also watch alot of sports. I heard that fast moving pictures are better on plasma. Does anyone here watch football on a lcd? How is it?
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #44
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen-Maniac View Post
sweet!! This is what I was hoping to hear!!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #45
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen-Maniac View Post

I think ickwinzs is talking about flat-panel LCD's (wall-mount), not just LCD screens in general.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #46
elwood49
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

I'd go with a plasma, but if you have the proper room and space, NOTHING beats a real projector. The plasma is best for your situation simply because it looks fantastic in a living room setting. It blends in with the furniture, and is less invasive than a huge

I'm planning to hang a plasma in my bedroom with my Sony 30" WS in an armoire in the living room. MY HS-420 Sony CRT still has the best picture I've ever seen (not as good as the later XBR's with the 2nd generation tubes, but damn nice). I paid $1k for it back in the summer of '04, and I'm quite pleased with the picture quality.

Once I buy a bigger home, I'll have a dedicated room with a full front projection setup.
elwood49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:05 AM   #47
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

i was at best buy and saw "DLP" tvs whats the word on these?

im not tv savy like some of you but i liked one of their tvs thats why i ask..
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #48
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkfan View Post
I think ickwinzs is talking about flat-panel LCD's (wall-mount), not just LCD screens in general.
yup thats what I want a wall mount
Old 11-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #49
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
i was at best buy and saw "DLP" tvs whats the word on these?

im not tv savy like some of you but i liked one of their tvs thats why i ask..
It's got a beautiful picture but has a light bulb in it that you have to change after so many hours. I think with average TV watching it starts to dim after 1.5 years. And the bulb costs $300.00.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 AM   #50
Natrix
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have had my 62" Mits. DLP set for a little over two years.

It was one of the first DLP's available and after working a few bugs out, it has been a great set. I have logged lots of hours on it, haven't had to replace a lamp yet (knock on wood) and the picture still looks great.

The only thing that I don't like is that I could now get a 1080P DLP set for about $2,000 less than what I payed for mine. It will still be a nice set for the basement when I decide to upgrade.
Natrix is offline   Reply With Quote