Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Late
What are the opinions on the Kandor statue/prop? It seemed kind of goofy cool at the time...
I have one of those I like it.
I believe the kryptonite prop is the same sculpt just changed.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Late
What are the opinions on the Kandor statue/prop? It seemed kind of goofy cool at the time...
I'm not really big on props so I've gotten rid of just about all the DC props I have owned including the Bottle City of Kandor. In my opinion that one is one of the better props. Well done and very cool. While I had it, it was my favorite prop. I still have the Kryptonite prop. That one is ok but they did a lousy job of lighting it up. The bulb they use for the Kryptonite must be extremely dim because you hardly notice it is lit when you turn it on in a well lit room. If you dim the lights you can tell it's on but even then it's a very low, dull green. Disappointing. They should have used LEDs or something that would burn brighter. This is the last DC prop I still own and I'll be getting rid of it as soon as I get around to it.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
Krypton Knight
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

That Key prop is a great piece. But with the gold plating you better keep a polishing cloth around 'cos that thing shows finger prints like crazy.

The Kandor prop is also well done. It does seem to light up better than the Kryptonite prop does though. I agree with Zurb the DC should have used LEDs in it than a standard bulb. I wonder if it can be converted to LEDs?
Krypton Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypton Knight
That Key prop is a great piece. But with the gold plating you better keep a polishing cloth around 'cos that thing shows finger prints like crazy.

The Kandor prop is also well done. It does seem to light up better than the Kryptonite prop does though. I agree with Zurb the DC should have used LEDs in it than a standard bulb. I wonder if it can be converted to LEDs?
Yes it can.

Last edited by Zurbaran1; 01-14-2006 at 05:40 PM. Reason: fixed quote
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
tripoli
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

DC Fortress of Solitude Key

I saw this and really like the concept. Posted for reviews here before purchasing and got a lot more conjecture than fact, so I made the leap and picked up DC's Fortress of Solitude Key piece.

The packaging is your average packaging, well done. Black boxed with gold lettering. The key and base is wedge tightly in the white foam packing, you will need to be careful getting it out without damaging the foam.

The base is a resin poured piece with a silver painted bottom with the licensing information on it. The base itself is a crystal relief with the Superman logo S in the middle painted in silver. The detailing is nicely done, sharp enough graphics that it looks good. The slightly tinted clear crystal makes for a solid stand for the key to sit on. You can illuminate it from behind or below to give it an extra added look to the piece.

The key is well made, a heft to it despite the size being close to ten inches in length. Extremely crisp machining in metal and then gold plated. It is made to look like a classic aircraft ground marker with the key portion on the bottom of the piece. Its well constructed and heavily plated. It fits solidly into the base and looks outstanding. There is a small knub on the bottom of the key and notch onthe base which keeps it from sliding on the base. If you do handle the key, you will want to keep a polishing cloth about, the surface is fine enough any handling will leave a smudge behind.

Despite it not being a in the forefront replica, it is a great Superman collectable. DC has not made that many prop type replicas, the kryptonite under glass and city underglass. Of the three out, this one is definately the nicer looking quality display. Well constructed, sharply done, it looks good as an art object as it does being a Superman replica piece from DC. These are currently selling well below the listed retail price on eBay right now. I would consider the purchase at retail price now seeing it in hand, definately a bargain and the lower prices you can find it at. If you are a Superman fan and thinking about it, I would take the leap and add it to your collection. It will definately stand out and be a good conversation piece in your collection.
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #16
bat_collector
Galactus

some pics would be very nice
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #17
Underdog07
Hercules

$120 plus $20 shipping a fair price or should I keep looking?
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #18
tripoli
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

If someone can host the pics, I will be happy to take a few shots.

The absolute lowest I have seen this is at $ 78 with $ 20 dollars in shipping. Missed that one myself getting mine for a total of $ 117.
It's a heavy piece, so expect the shipping to be up there in price.
$ 120 is a bargain, $ 140 is a fair low price to get for this piece.
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #19
lockford88
The Riddler

pm sent to ya underdog...
lockford88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #20
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

There was another thread about this piece. DOn't have the time now but if I find it I will merge the two.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote