Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #21
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
Whoo boy. The issue in of itself is fun but the Watchmen use gets a little too meta

Spoiler
It's implied and all but said that Dr. Manhattan has been subtly altering DC's reality as far back at COIE at times that the universe is weaker. With Flashpoint being his biggest alteration. And he's the reason the DCU has gotten darker overall since COIE.

He also murders Pandora in a scene straight out of Rorschach's death. (Booooo)

So yes...DC is blaming the DCU being dark...on Watchmen...characters DC made Alan Moore make....and are legally holding hostage from him.

Oy.

DC seems to be completely missing the point that Dr. Manhattan and the other Watchmen characters are not VILLAINS.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Regarding your spoiler, didn't Infinite Crisis already establish that Superboy Prime was responsible for this?
Well. Yes and no.

Infinite Crisis had Alexander Luthor Jr., Superboy-Prime E-2 Superman and Lois watching reality as it slowly got darker and darker until Kal-L and the others decided to step in to "fix" it.

Superboy-Prime punched reality which caused ripples in it but not the corruption they viewed.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #23
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I haven't really read much DC at all... minus a few Batman stories and... Watchmen. This does not seem like a great starting point. I'll stick with going back and reading old Marvel stuff.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #24
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
i must be the only one who liked this. I have bad mouthed DC since Flashpoint. I hated the New 52 and thought it was a joke , which it was. I enjoyed this issue. I will admit I am a huge Wally west fan and enjoyed his series for years. I was so disappointed with what they did to him and now at least Geoff Johns has brought him back. This enough would make me love it but with the killing off of the fake Superman and bringing back the REAL Superman and other beats the book was really solid. If only Geoff Johns could write everything but alas he can not. I'm sure the books will still be average but at least with this book I feel a sense of hope for the future of the DC Universe which I haven't felt in 5+years.
I loved it as well. Most of the detractors likely don't collect DC on a regular basis or didn't see it slowly errode from high points in the 80's through early 00's or suffered through the slog that is the New 52.

I loved "the Watchmen" but honestly why just keep them on the shelf? I'm glad they used them as an unexpected plot device. The reality is that the property was beloved, but essentially dead. The reality is that Watchmen, in conjunction with The Dark Knight Returns, are indeed 110% responsible for where DC's sensibilities now lay. Not completely a bad thing; but perhaps our society has evolved in the 30 years since those books set the paradigm and it was time for DC to recognize that and avoid obsolescence.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 05-29-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #25
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotwilight View Post
Well. Yes and no.

Infinite Crisis had Alexander Luthor Jr., Superboy-Prime E-2 Superman and Lois watching reality as it slowly got darker and darker until Kal-L and the others decided to step in to "fix" it.

Superboy-Prime punched reality which caused ripples in it but not the corruption they viewed.
Ah, okay. Thanks!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #26
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

One of the funnier bits was something that occurred to me right after reading the book was what if we've seen some of the Watchmen characters already?

The biggest one who could be a Watchmen character is the New 52 Question.

A red headed man who was transported across time and space to be punished with being forgotten and Question himself.

I think he's Rorschach and his letter from the original Watchmen series led to a nuclear end to his world's Cold War thus leading to Doctor Manhattan playing around with other universe's like the main Earth to get it "right".
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Just read this and, have to say, did not like it at all.

It felt hurried, muddled and desperate in its attempt to reset the DCU. Not even talent like Geoff Johns and Gary Frank could make this passable. A serious disappointment.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #28
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

There seems to be this unnecessary need to create a cause and effect or segway for the change(s) which lead to the muddlement (is that a word lol).
Instead, DC should've just said were starting a clean slate and here we go. No story segway necessary.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:38 AM   #29
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

I'd agree in theory but I think not having some explanation also causes its own "muddlement".

Plus it wouldn't be comics without reality altering events and cosmic-ness.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #30
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
There seems to be this unnecessary need to create a cause and effect or segway for the change(s) which lead to the muddlement (is that a word lol).
Instead, DC should've just said were starting a clean slate and here we go. No story segway necessary.
But wouldn't this be the same as having DC admit "we 'F-ed up & have to start from scratch". Both Marvel & DC could (& probably) should have admitted this several times in the recent past, but never in a million years would. Instead, they roll out another cumbersome fix. Rinse & repeat.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote