Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Disney Traditions: "Evil Enthroned" - Evil Queen from Snow White - StatueForum Review

Disney Traditions (produced by Enesco): The Jim Shore collection: "Evil Enthroned" from the classic animated theatrical release: Snow White and the Seven Drawfs (Disney, 1937). The Queen of Evil makes her bold mark in the Disney Traditions line with this delightful throne statue beautifully sculpted by renown artist Jim Shore. Made of stone resin, handpainted, this sculpture stands 9.5 inches tall.

Available at Amazon or made to order through most Hallmark and Disney shops. List price - $75.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
risingstar
Jedi Order

Disney Traditions - "Evil Enthroned" from Snow White and the Seven Drarfs (Disney, 1937) - The StatueForum Review

Sculpture: Jim Shore gets a bit more ambitious with this sculpture as he adds a delightful looking and elaborate base to the mix, i.e., the throne. It quite literally takes a scene right out of the classic film -- and in principal, it should work. However, the execution of the design didn't seem to reach its potential and leaves me feeling with something to be desired. Overall, the piece looks a bit rough around the edges, like it needed another pass if only to soften the features and to add a bit more detail to the Queen herself (i.e., more folds on her gown). Alas, this falls under the "looks good from a distance" category. Upon closer inspection, nothing is hidden. Unlike the three other Disney pieces recently reviewed, this one doesn't quite reach the marks the others did, which is a shame. It could have been the best of the four.

The sculptor, Jim Shore, is the Randy Bowen equivalent in the Disney world as he (and his production company) has quite literally sculpted, designed, and produced most characters in the Disney animated world.

Rating 7/10

Paint/Mixed media: Unfortunately, unlike the other Disney pieces recently reviewed which were all very well painted, the paint applications on this particular sculpture are subpar. There's painting over the lines, some goopy areas, and this overall sense of having been rushed through the production process. Hopefully, this is just an anomaly as this is the first Disney piece I've reviewed which didn't immediately and surprisingly impress.

Rating 5.5/10

Production and Build quality: A one piece sculpture. Again, my favorite. There's definitely a consistency in that regard with these Disney pieces. Incidentally, the statue also has some weight so there's a lesser sense of fragility here. However, the overall production fall a bit flat as the visual doesn't awe as much as it could have. It looks and feels more like a rough draft. It was almost "there".

As noted in the intro, the sculpture is made of stone resin, not quite what we're used to seeing from Sideshow and company. The material in some areas almost looks like painted wood carvings, even more so than in the other reviewed Disney pieces. It still looks good. And, the low price is a very welcome.

Rating 6/10

Design: Again, I'm an easy mark for the classics, especially when it comes to the baddies. Who doesn't love a really good villain? Better yet, who doesn't love a throne piece? Jim Shore is totally in his element here. The design was bang on.

Rating: 9/10

Overall Rating: 6.9/10
Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Old 06-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
dechirico7
The Flash

Very cool. Just started getting into these Jim Shore Disney pieces. Trying to decide what my first one will be.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #5
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Great review rising

Dechirico, I would suggest Cruella, such a great piece
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
Great review rising

Dechirico, I would suggest Cruella, such a great piece
Thanks!

This Cruella below?

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...hlight=cruella
Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

i got my daughter the Seven Dwarves Homeward Bound. I'll post pics later as I never have been able to post pics from my phone.

Last edited by nbr3bagshotrow; 06-25-2017 at 11:51 AM.
nbr3bagshotrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 AM   #8
iceprince_x
Deadman

I love Jim Shore! but the only piece I got from his workshop is the Pumpkin Head that fits nicely with my DC Endless collection.
iceprince_x is online now   Reply With Quote