Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #22841
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I was so disappointed in the ending it totally killed it for me.
the ending of the movie? the hedge maze and jack freezing to death was really well done I thought, that image of jacks twisted face frozen to death is iconic horror

in the book I believe jack snaps out of his insanity and blows up himself and the hotel? and instead of the hedge maze they had the living hedge animals? I watched the made for TV version of the shining that stephen king was involved in, the version he wanted to see done, and I was not impressed to be honest

I just really like how stanley took the movie to a whole other level, I love the music, the way the movie is shot, the imagery, the atmosphere and the look of the hotel, the mystery behind everything, the constant feeling of dread, all the little nuances he put in the movie. I like how he pushed the actors to the breaking point, jack nicholson would not have been as good as jack if they used the first takes for every scene, but by the 200th take he was probably really bordering insanity and you can see it in the film lol
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #22842
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I Am Not Your Negro (2016) - Writer James Baldwin tells the story of race in modern America with his unfinished novel, Remember This House.

Still my favorite movie this year. 10/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #22843
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
the ending of the movie? the hedge maze and jack freezing to death was really well done I thought, that image of jacks twisted face frozen to death is iconic horror

in the book I believe jack snaps out of his insanity and blows up himself and the hotel? and instead of the hedge maze they had the living hedge animals? I watched the made for TV version of the shining that stephen king was involved in, the version he wanted to see done, and I was not impressed to be honest

I just really like how stanley took the movie to a whole other level, I love the music, the way the movie is shot, the imagery, the atmosphere and the look of the hotel, the mystery behind everything, the constant feeling of dread, all the little nuances he put in the movie. I like how he pushed the actors to the breaking point, jack nicholson would not have been as good as jack if they used the first takes for every scene, but by the 200th take he was probably really bordering insanity and you can see it in the film lol
In the whole book Jack was constantly having to monitor the pressure of the boiler. And the monster, e.g. The house, was subtly commenting on Jacks in ability to manage the house (the kids and the wife). And at the end the wife realizing this reminds Jack that he has forgot to check the boiler (e.g. He wasn't able to manage the house as he let the boiler go critical and blow up the house). Running around the hedge garden and freezing with a stupid grin on his face was just, imo, a stupid way to have him die.

The Kubrick movie lent itself to jack becoming a monster because of his drinking whereas the tv version lent itself to jack becoming the monster that was the house. Walking the halls banging the mallet on the walls like in the book while drooling and looking monstrous was great. The look on Jacks face when realizing he forgot the boiler was classic. Loved it. But to each his own.

Just another point, in the book there was the hedge maze and the animals that "came alive"
Old 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #22844
strife87
Spider-Ham

It 2017 7.5/10

Kubo and the 2 strings 7/10
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #22845
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Cancelled my cable and have been able to focus more on streaming movies.

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars 7/10 newest CGI movie to the franchise

The Hitman's Bodyguard 8/10 nice "buddy tension" between Ryan Reynolds and Samuel Jackson. Add foul language to Lethal Weapon basically.

The Monster Project 8/10 Great low budget documentary type monster movie. Kudos to the original takes in some scenes.

The Damned 9/10 One of the best horror movies I've seen in a while. It's subtitled but pretty powerful all things considered.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 7/10 budget is bigger than the story

My Pet Dinosaur 8/10 Aliens, Dinosaurs, Men in Black from a kid's perspective

The Layover 7/10 Kate Upton and Alexandria Daddario

The Vault 7.5/10 Bank robbers rob a haunted bank. With James Franco
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #22846
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

It 9/10 Great movie, glad to see they earned their R rating. Kids were great and definitely looking forward to Part 2. Worth seeing the theater.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #22847
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Goon 2, not as good as the first. Still good. 6/10
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #22848
Y3E
Gen 13

Jenny's Wedding - can't believe I watched this movie but it was enjoyable 7/10

Eye in the Sky - 8/10
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #22849
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

IT 9.5/10
I don't like horror movies but this was a great movie. It scared the crap out of me and also had me laughing so hard. Intense movie that had my wife clutching my hand one scene and both of us laughing together the next. I'm fascinated by the character now and may go back and read the book to learn more.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #22850
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

The Mummy 3/10
Napoleon Dynamite 3/10