Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
gonk
Kotobukiya Rep
Producer

Opinions on the Marvel Fine Art statue line

I'd like to get some opinions on how we should proceed with the Marvel Fine Art statue line. Would forum members be interested in seeing movie and TV characters included in this format? Has pricing gotten to a point where you rather spend your dollars elsewhere? Do you prefer stand alone releases or pieces (like the DRS) that also work together as a team? Who are your most wanted characters? Let's have a constructive conversation. Keep in mind many people, including myself, work on these products so a lot of effort goes into this.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
ClaudeRogers
Frackin!

For me I would rather not see the movie/tv characters included in this format, I would prefer seeing more of the comic book counterparts instead. For the quality of statue, I think the price is spot on, I can't complain too much at all.

I love group pieces and would not mind seeing more. And I would love to get more Spidey and X-men characters, specifically Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales and possibly redesign/rerelease of some of the old pieces like Spiderman, and a lot of the Xmen pieces (Gambit, Cyclops, etc).

I think you all knock it out of the park with every statue. Hard to beat the quality of statue that Kotobukiya pumps out in my opinion.

Edit: Forgot about the defenders, I'd like to see Iron Fist, Luke, Jessica, a new Daredevil, etc. As well as more Spidey and Xmen related characters and villains.
ClaudeRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Rafaelcab
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post
I'd like to get some opinions on how we should proceed with the Marvel Fine Art statue line. Would forum members be interested in seeing movie and TV characters included in this format? Has pricing gotten to a point where you rather spend your dollars elsewhere? Do you prefer stand alone releases or pieces (like the DRS) that also work together as a team? Who are your most wanted characters? Let's have a constructive conversation. Keep in mind many people, including myself, work on these products so a lot of effort goes into this.
I am definitely a huge fan of the fine art line, but i agree with the previous comment that i think this line should be reserved for the comic book characters. As long as the Marvel fine art line remains with limited releases per year this is probably best at least for my interest. As for the pricing as long as a piece is not priced higher than what Thanos MRSP is going for than i think it is fine (although cheaper would be greatly appreciated lol). Its thanks to you guys at Kotobukiya that i am able to be apart of the fine art collection community. Heaven knows if you start charging Sideshow prices ill be out the game. Now when it comes to standalone or pieces that are part of a line i think most prefer the line. Collectors obviously like to display there pieces and the displays are always nicer when their is a team/set to show them off with. As for characters that i would like to see it would definitely have to be number one Doctor Strange then Elektra, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight, and Captain Marvel. It is nice to see that you seek advice from the community in deciding on how to proceed with the line so i thank you for that. Now if i can say one last thing people are always joining the statue collection community all the time (me being somewhat new) and it would be great if Kotobukiya would revisit characters already done (DAREDEVIL) that way there are opportunities for people like me to get characters missed. The cost of pieces in the aftermarket are way too rich for my blood. Again thank you and keep up the amazing work!
Rafaelcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
AC_808
Hercules

Agreed!

No to the TV and Movie versions of the characters.

Yes to the comic versions instead. I would rather spend my money on the comic versions of the characters.

I don't mind the prices on these Marvel Fine Art statues ...and I don't mind the prices on the DC ArtFX statues either ...as long as the quality of sculpt and paint stays at its current level.

I like the pieces that belong to a team. More specifically the continuation of the Avengers, X-Men DRS and Justice League (ArtFX) line up. And I would love some re-release or re-hash of previously released characters.

Getting the Gold Team and Blue Team from the X-Men DRS line would be just awesome! Along with the villains like Apocalypse, Omega Red, Sinister, Magneto, etc ....that would be a dream come true!

Getting the main members of the Avengers like Cap, Ironman, Thor rehashed or released, then releasing more members like Black Widow, Hawkeye, Wonderman, Goliath, etc ....you would have me as a Koto Fan for life. The Vision you have coming out is already beautiful ...and in line with what I want in my collection.

Getting the rest of the Justice League made would be awesome too! I consider the ArtFX line a sister to the Fine Arts line, so I'm including it. What Kotobukiya has done for that Justice League line is amazing! Please continue that! Would love if Aquaman and Martian Manhunter would be revealed and released soon!

Lastly, THANK YOU for asking us for our opinions! I hope you do continue these lines, because then I can continue to buy your statues!
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Shonks
Frackin!

I love this line and appreciate you asking us for feedback, felt like the line has been dying a slow death for a while.

Agree with the previous responses to keep it to comic characters, with the limited number of fine art pieces you couldn't keep up if you did movies. It would just be max 1 main character per movie, I personally have no interest in more Fine art spidys, logans, cap's, IMs etc.

My personal preference and I think the most common posts I see are that we want you to continue the DRS line in the Jim Lee style, these are all home runs and both the blue and gold teams have many members yet to get the koto treatment. If you can't ever do DRS pieces for license reason please just let us know and we will shut up about it! We will complain but at least we will know where we stand.

Maybe x-men and avengers alternating would also work as the higher prices are offset by only have 1 or 2 a year for the franchise we collect rather then buying everything (which is basically do anyway).

Last point is I would love fine art pieces to have slightly better paint apps, the sculpts are generally f'ing amazing but at times have been let down by the paint apps, would be happy to pay $20 extra to really see those improve.

thanks for reading if you got this far!
Shonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #6
Furbz
Doh!

Long time reader, created an account just to reply here.
Thanks for all the fine arts done so far, they are amazing.

I think you should really consider doing a Moon Knight fine art statue. One of this quality/size would be amazing. We don't see him alot in statue form, I think he would sell fast, imo.

Like others have said, I think fine arts should stick to comic book versions of the characters. I'm totally fine having movie versions as Artfx instead, I'm a big fan of the new Artfx StarLord that was announced at Toyfair.
Furbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
iceprince_x
Deadman

I want to stick to comic book based statues and I want introduced lines to be finished up like the XForce had been...I could only wish that the Jim Lee inspired costume should be. Give us Jubilee and Storm please
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #8
xploited
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I'm really excited for the Punisher Fine Art Statue, that's for sure.

I have many of the Danger Room statues as well - and a few of the DC ArtFX (Batman, Catwoman, Superman, Joker).

I don't particularly care for movie or TV properties. It's difficult to get attached to those versions as they will be eventually re-cast with reboots/etc. I would however suggest releasing statues for characters that don't get enough love from other statue manufacturers, or even iterations of them that are not commonly seen (eg. a Checchetto Punisher). I'm looking for:

- Punisher
- Agent Venom
- Ghost Rider
- Moon Knight

As for pricing, Vision felt rather lackluster at $250+ given Bowen's options, but Punisher looks far and above better - definitely worth the price. It reminds me of the quality we saw with statues like Colossus from the DRS line.

With the DC line, especially with the Deathstroke ArtFX - you delivered a very affordable and exceptional statue. Not quite at the level of the Fine Art line, but an awesome piece for the price.
xploited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Depends on the movie and TV characters. As the X-Men line is either slow or dead. I don't think Kotobukiya will be able to make say Jean from X2.

Pricing has always been reasonable. Even more so if you wait for Amazon deals.

I like statues like the Danger Room Sessions line that can be displayed individually or as a team.

Most wanted:

1. Finishing up Sosa's X-Men line with Storm and Jean.

2. Perhaps Runaways. Kotobukiya can attempt them as I don't think anyone else has yet. And a TV show is coming out soon. It would be cool to get comic versions first.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:30 PM   #10
KELPIE
New Republic

My main problem with Koto's Fine art is that there isn't more of them...

I'd stay away from movie/tv characters. Comics only.

For groups, I like being able to put the individual statues together with themed bases, however for individual characters there's no need to shoehorn them in with similar bases, they can be stand alone.

I'm fine with the price point, I always thought they hit that sweet point with size, quality and price.

I'd like a few more less represented characters as well.

Finally, to throw the cat among the pigeons, I'd love to see Koto do some Fine Art G1 Transformer statues and/or TMNT statues.

Keep up the good work.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote