Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Agent Zero
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Marc Silvestri related question?

Hey guys,

Just looking to hear some thougts and opinions with the following: Why doesn't Marc Silvestri's work, demand as much attention and value as artist like Jim Lee etc?
Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
prizzy726
The Spirit

I guess I don't know their history that well but I suppose it would have to do with Jim Lee becoming Co-Publisher of DC?
prizzy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

His artwork is not as much as Jim's but it is still a bit rich for my blood.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Agent Zero

It still demands a few thousand, but the numbers and recorgnition are nowhere near Lee's standards. McFarlane is on another level, but even newer artist like Finch, Daniels etc, demand more.
Agent Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
risingstar
Jedi Order

Silvestri never quite reached Jim Lee status. However, to be fair, very few artists have so it seems an unfair comparison. I would imagine that if Silvestri did a run on Batman or Wonder Woman and gave it his all like Jim Lee did on Batman, it would likely relaunch his career. For whatever reason, most of the Image guys, who could probably still succeed in a major way in comics, have chosen to take it easy.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Probably he is busy enough to keep his company running...
If I remember well, Jim LeeĀ“s return on the drawing table was also after he has sold Wildstorm to DC...
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I really thought Silvestri was on the comic comeback trail when he took over The Hulk a couple yeas back. He only lasted 3 or 4 issues! Really underated compared to the likes of McFarlane and Lee.
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Maybe he is slow or difficult to deal with?

I dont mean that to be unkind but its always a possibility.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
BaronV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrycon View Post
Maybe he is slow or difficult to deal with?

I dont mean that to be unkind but its always a possibility.
Nope, quite the opposite. Marc is one of the friendlies A-list artists out there. Unlike other Image founders, he sit and greets at his Top Cow booth for hours meeting fans, taking pics and doing sketches.

I think the reason he hasn't continued to be a big name is that unlike Lee, he hasn't been on a too-tier book for a long run. I mean, he did just a few issues of the Hulk run and apart from that he's done some X-Men, and Batman B/W covers along with Top Cow covers.

He's more focused on running his Top Cow imprint so when working behind the scenes and doing just covers for Top Cow limits his view to the general audience when he's not on a DC or Marvel book more often.

When he does cover work, it pops and is really nice (see Batman B&W cover). But until he does regular Top 2 or a bigger Image series again, he's a niche market artist.
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Demona
Martian Manhunter

IMO Silvestri's work gets attention from those who enjoy art and appreciate the style and work he puts into his pieces/books -- just like Lee or other artists out there. I know I appreciate Silvestri's style. And if he's happy being creative on a smaller book, I'm glad for him. Maybe that's why he does smaller books? I have no idea.

As for value, well, Lee busted down the doors when he came on the scene for X-Men. Nothing was like that out there that I can remember (besides McFarlane on Spidie), and he started an art revolution. I can remember being in the comic book store as a 12 year old girl seeing if what comics might cool to start reading and just getting just sucked into X-Men because of his art!

The value added plus is he was on a flagship beast of a book. I can honestly see why people pay those amazing figures for original art from Lee and McFarlane's run. I would if I could. There are three solid pages I would ponder bank heists to fund
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote