Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
whd
Suicide Squad

A lot of great stuff! The lantern jam is really looking great! The everybody vs Thanos & Darkseid piece is coming together nicely. Two Finch Batmans! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Great pieces. I do love your color jam.

Is Finch inking all pieces now??? He always seems to have an affinity for drawing Batman. I never

Man, if he is I guess I will need to ride the line ride again.
Demona, he's leaving it up to you. No price difference. Dave will be the first to tell you he prefers to do just his pencils, and I agree that another inker does a better job than he does inking himself. However, Finch is awesome in pencils or inks. Just a matter of preference on the part of the commissioner.
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
Behold Gravitas
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Some guy approached me after I got my first Batman and asked who inked it and rate; he was a little disappointed that he paid more with no inks when at SDCC. I forgot which inker he asked for a quote, but it would basically double the amount he spent on the piece. At C2E2, David didn't mention inks; all I expected was pencils on my jam. It was a blank page, so no reference of inks. Nice surprise for me there.

David's pencils only is awesome, Octavio's Planet Hulk is a good example from NYCC. Saw some other nice ones, including what was going to be Phoenix vs. Thanos (gent got Phoenix on Thursday, back for Thanos on Sunday).

As for the affinity for Batman, at C2E2, I asked David if he would prefer to work on Wolverine, Wonder Woman, or Batman on my jam. He said that given a choice he'd draw Batman every time that he could. There were definitely a handful of fans with Batman sketches (head, bust, or full) that I saw during the course of the show.
Behold Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
Doc McCoy
Mephisto

Great haul and fantastic jam pieces!
Doc McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #15
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Part of doing business with David is realizing that his commission options change frequently. One show he won’t do full body pieces, another he will. Sometimes he will only do bust commissions. I don’t think there is really a set price for his con pieces either as he changes them at each show it seems. This info is readily available so any research would turn this up. I believe he charges more for SDCC each year so if price is more important than anything else it would be best waiting for a smaller show. Sounds like he is adding inks into the mix of variables now as well – wouldn’t be surprised to see colors at some point. Personally, I prefer to leave Dave’s pencils alone or have them inked by someone with a proven track record of inking over David. That’s why I got my Finch pieces inked by Jonathan Glapion – he did an amazing job over David’s pencils and put much more detail into them than I believe David would at a show. This is no slam on David’s inks as I think the pieces above look great, just a matter of personal preference.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold Gravitas View Post
As for the affinity for Batman, at C2E2, I asked David if he would prefer to work on Wolverine, Wonder Woman, or Batman on my jam. He said that given a choice he'd draw Batman every time that he could. There were definitely a handful of fans with Batman sketches (head, bust, or full) that I saw during the course of the show.
of course he would pick batman. the greatest comic book character to ever be created!
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
Behold Gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
I believe he charges more for SDCC each year so if price is more important than anything else it would be best waiting for a smaller show.
Definitely was concerned going into NYCC he would go to SDCC prices, considering the size of NYCC now. Although Reed Pop counts differently than SDCC, just read somewhere that NYCC went from 151,000 in 2014 to 170,000 this year.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
Behold Gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
of course he would pick batman. the greatest comic book character to ever be created!
Supes and Bats are 1A and 1B to me. Oddly enough I haven't commissioned a solo Superman yet. Guess a goal will be trying to get the DC trinity from David eventually.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behold Gravitas View Post
Supes and Bats are 1A and 1B to me. Oddly enough I haven't commissioned a solo Superman yet. Guess a goal will be trying to get the DC trinity from David eventually.
sounds like a good idea for the next jam
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #20
dchiscon
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

What an amazing show for you!!
dchiscon is offline   Reply With Quote