Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Reactions on the New, Hanna Barbera DC books?

We're 2 issues deep on both Future Quest & Scooby Doo Apocalypse & an issue deep on DC's new Flintstones book & DC's version of Wacky Raceland.

I'm very impressed! The kick off issues of Future Quest have been epic, tying in the entire Quest gang into the other Hanna Barbera heroes through a very plausible use of Quest arch-enemy Dr. Ming. It's kind of set outside of recognizable time, so the story could be taking place now or in the 60's, I'm not sure.

The Scooby book has been solid with, so far, the Scooby gang's original meeting & get-to-gether being explored with a modern & updated slant. I've enjoyed both issues so far.

The Flintstones dropped this week & the art is gorgeous & the writing quite strong. Writer Mark Russell has managed to darken Bedrock, the Water Buffaloes, Fred & Barn's back story (both are war vets) while adding in some practical, real-world situational effects that might take place in a man/dinosaur living situation. Get this book while you still can.

Ken Pontac's Wacky Raceland, a version of the HB Wacky Races cartoon was interesting, but a bit grimey (intentionally) & hard to follow. Pontac has basically created Road Warrior versions of the cartoon cast w/ very little of their former, cartoon selves surviving. Part Road Warrior & Death Race 2000, as muddy as the book is & as hard to follow, you'll recognize the plot & potential reward for the victor. I'll give the book one more chance but, out of the 4, this is my least fave.

Bottom line - DC is taking some enormous chances with these books. How many current readers even know who these characters are any more? Before I wrote this, I searched SF for the earlier comic' thread pertaining to this DC, HB launch & couldn't find it .... but I did find a few earlier threads where we chimed in on "what if a comics company revisited the HB cast of characters. Well, it's joyfully & promisingly finally happened!

(check this old thread out. How prophetic ...I even asked Steve Rude if he'd ever want to do what is happening right now over at DC)

http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...=hanna+barbera

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Juggernaut
The Falcon

I haven't checked em out.

I don't buy monthly comics anymore.

Based on what I could dig up on google and images of the interior art.

I will pick up Scooby most definetly,Future Quest too when they are released in TPB or HC.

Flintstones... I'm not sure if I will pick that up yet.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

I haven't bought any of them, but I did read a preview of The Flintstones and was actually intrigued. The set-up was quite interesting.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I have the first issue of future quest (been a big fan of Jonny Quest). Haven't read it yet.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Interested in Future Quest but have no interest in the other stuff. Not my Scooby or Flintstones. Fred a war veteran?!?!?!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #6
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Never been a fan of Flintstones or Scooby

Have ordered the first issue of Wacky Races & might get the Future Quest Tpb cos of the Space Ghost & steve Rude stuff
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Interested in Future Quest but have no interest in the other stuff. Not my Scooby or Flintstones. Fred a war veteran?!?!?!
Yes! There's death in this Stones! Sometimes it's hidden in panels. Quite a new take, but I enjoyed it. + the gags were great & many provided laugh out loud moments.

Last edited by nbr3bagshotrow; 07-11-2016 at 10:36 AM.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #8
whd
Suicide Squad

I'm sold on Future Quest, but Wacky Raceland did nothing for me. My copy of Flintstones doesn't ship until the end of the month.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Juggernaut
The Falcon

I think I will give a shot as a TPB.

From google surfing and screenshots of the art, Dastardly reminds me of Jack Sparrow with Harley Quinn hair colors. Not a very original design.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I have enjoyed Future Quest, being a Space Ghost fan and a Herculoids fan this was a must read for me, loving it. Flintstones look interesting to me.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote