Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #651
Monocle
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzy View Post
Journey to the center if the earth jules Verne

Been a LONG time since reading a book (other than comic) so thought id ease into some adventure books got a bunch of his books.
I'd say that is one of my, lifetime "must reads." Along with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Currently I am reading "The Woman in White," it is a typical Victorian mystery I think. A bit slow but I like it.

I have also begun to read "The Sandman: Volume 7"
Monocle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #652
Babytoxie
Ghost

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.

The story of several generations of a Dominican family, both in the DR and the US. It has elements of 100 Years of Solitude and A Confederacy of Dunces, but with a very original voice. Diaz is obviously a big fan of comics, sci-fi/fantasy, cartoons, etc., as they are referenced heavily in his writing. It's definitely recommended for the folks on this forum.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #653
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Currently reading The Naked and the Dead, by Norman Mailer. His first novel about the Pacific Theater in World War II.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #654
dechirico7
The Flash

I like to dive into multiple books at a time:
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King

Been reading more comics lately.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #655
protector2814
Phoenix

Kothar & The Wizard Slayer by Gardner F. Fox- Been reading sword 'n sorcery my whole life yet I'd never heard of Kothar & had no idea that Golden-Age Great comic writer, Gardner F. Fox even wrote Barbarian' style fantasy novels. Found this on an old-sci-fi & fantasy pbbk dealer's table at the B-more Con & have just cracked it, being around 6 chapters deep now. So far, so great. Kothar has an interesting back story (which I haven't read as this edition is out of order to be starting with). Kothar has screwed himself with some sort of poverty pledge to a demon promising he'll keep only enough treasure to feed & shelter himself, all other gold must be left behind. He's got a great nemesis in this demon queen named Lori, whom I'm gathering is a sexy force to be reckoned with.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 AM   #656
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Anybody ever read any Daniel Woodrell novels except "Winter's Bone"? And if so which ones are the best.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #657
Babytoxie
Ghost

Brave New World + Brave New World Revisited, by Aldous Huxley

I read both of these back in middle school - not for a class, but because they were on my parents' bookshelf. At the time, I didn't care much for either of them, preferring Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four; however, over the last few years, BNW has taken on much more relevance to me. Designer babies, fluff-saturated media and infotainment - the future is now!

Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #658
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanksgiving + long weekend, so I'm gonna enjoy this over the next couple days.

Doc Savage, Skull Island ... Doc meets Kong!!!

Story opens with Doc & his gang being commissioned to "clean up" the body of Kong at the foot of the Empire State bldg. Lots of engineering involved which was fun to read. The bulk of the book deals with an early adventure Doc had on Skull Island, where he meets The King! This was a must read for me & my 1st crack at these new Doc Savage adventures that Altus is publishing. We'll see ...

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #659
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I'm going to be polishing off the rest of the first season of American Vampire, by the amazing Scott Snyder and fantastic art by Rafael Albuquerque. Got into it towards the end of the season by pure luck at my comic shop when I happened to see an issue sticking up for the beginning of a story and loved the art and concept. Been hooked since, and now that I'm a few issues deep into the 2nd season I figured I should get the whole story so went to the comic shop and my guy hooked me up with the trades to the first season. Been great so far and so cool seeing where all of it started from.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #660
abarron
Batman

I've just picked up the Narnia book again.

I've read them before but don't really remember much from those that haven't been made into movies
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote