Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

One of the many comments seen on Twitter directed at Mary Winstead whose tweets were also highlighted in the article I posted earlier.

Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #22
MrYac
Hercules

those comments are hilariously creepy in the saddest possible way
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

This is why you shouldn't click on the naked photos of Jennifer Lawrence

Main excerpts from that article:

"There are a few different issues that a criminal act like this brings up, but before I get into them it’s necessary to make one thing clear: If you deliberately seek out any of these images, you are directly participating in the violation not just of numerous women’s privacy but also of their bodies. These images - which I have not seen and which I will not look for - are intimate, private moments belonging only to the people who appear in them and who they have invited to see them. To have those moments stolen and broadcast to the world is an egregious act of psychic violence which constitutes a form of assault.

The people sharing these images are perpetuating an ongoing assault. The people gleefully looking at them are witnessing and enjoying an ongoing assault. When you have been asked by victims of a crime like this not to exacerbate the pain of that crime and you continue to do so anyway, you are consciously deciding that your enjoyment, your rights and perhaps even just your curiosity are more important than the safety and dignity of the people you’re exploiting.

That out of the way, let’s get a few other things straight.

1. This is not a ‘scandal’

It’s a crime, and we should be discussing it as such. Some media outlets are salaciously reporting it otherwise, as if the illegal violation of privacy involving intimate images is little more than subject for gossip. When associated with sex, the word ‘scandal’ has been typically interpreted as something that assigns responsibility to all parties involved, a consensual act unfortunately discovered and for which everyone owes an explanation or apology. Remember when private nude photos of Vanessa Hudgens (whose name also appears on the list of victims) were leaked online and Disney forced her to publicly apologise for her “lapse in judgment” and hoped she had “learned a valuable lesson”? Never mind that Hudgens was an adult and a victim of privacy violation - the ‘scandal’ was painted as something for which she owed her fans an apology. Which leads us to:

2. These women do not ‘only have themselves to blame’

While depressing, it’s sadly unsurprising to see some people arguing that Lawrence et al brought this on themselves. Part of living in a rape culture is the ongoing expectation that women are responsible for protecting themselves from abuse, and that means avoiding behaviour which might be later ‘exploited’ by the people who are conveniently never held to account for their actions. But women are entitled to consensually engage in their sexuality any way they see fit. If that involves taking nude self portraits for the enjoyment of themselves or consciously selected others, that’s their prerogative.

Victims of crime do not have an obligation to accept dual responsibility for that crime. Women who take nude photographs of themselves are not committing a criminal act, and they shouldn’t ‘expect’ to become victims to one, as actress Mary E. Winstead pointed out on Twitter.

Sending a photograph of your breasts to one person isn’t consenting to having the whole world see those breasts, just as consenting to sex with one person isn’t the same as giving permission for everyone else to f--- you. Victim blaming isn’t okay, even if it does give you a private thrill to humiliate the female victims of sexual exploitation.

3. It doesn’t matter that ‘damn, she looks good and should own it!’

Stealing and sharing the private photographs of women doesn’t become less of a crime just because you approve them for fapping activity. I’m sure many of the women on this list are confident of their sexual attractiveness. It doesn’t mean they don’t value their privacy or shouldn’t expect to enjoy the same rights to it as everyone else. It also doesn’t mean they want strangers sweating over their images. That line of thinking comes from the same school which instructs women to either ignore of welcome sexual harassment when it’s seemingly ‘positive’ in its sentiments.

None of these women are likely to give a s--- that you think their bodies are ‘tight, damn’. Despite what society reinforces to us about the public ownership of women’s bodies, we are not entitled to co-opt and objectify them just because we think we can defend it as a compliment.

I will not be seeking out these images out and I urge everyone else to avoid doing the same. I hope that all the women who have been victimised here are being appropriately supported by the authorities and their network of friends. And I hope sincerely that more people take a stand against this kind of behaviour.

Because this incident aside, it strikes me as deeply ironic that we will vehemently protest a free Facebook messenger app because we’re outraged at reports that it can access our phone’s numbers, and yet turn around and excuse the serving up of women’s bodies for our own pleasure. Our appreciation is no less disgusting just because it’s accompanied by the sound of one hand clapping."
Old 09-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #24
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

^^ I don't even know who Mary Winstead is...nor do I feel like looking it up
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #25
Darth Madden
Luke Cage

I guess they need to go back and change the Oscars song from a few years ago and now include Jennifer in "We saw your boobs."
Darth Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #26
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Madden View Post
I guess they need to go back and change the Oscars song from a few years ago and now include Jennifer in "We saw your boobs."
post of the day. That song was great
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #27
Luminous
Cyclops

Sorry, but that article makes it seem like this a feminist issue. It's a celebrity thing. They are either extremely ignorant or extremely naive to think this sort of thing would not or should not happen to them. They're in the spot light. It sucks but it's the way it is.

I feel bad that their privacy was invaded. In that they are clearly victims. However, given today's technology and social media they should have known better.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #28
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Actually Mary Winstead's photos are the most artistic ones of the bunch.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #29
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Sorry, but that article makes it seem like this a feminist issue. It's a celebrity thing. They are either extremely ignorant or extremely naive to think this sort of thing would not or should not happen to them. They're in the spot light. It sucks but it's the way it is.

I feel bad that their privacy was invaded. In that they are clearly victims. However, given today's technology and social media they should have known better.
That article is clearly written to declare feminist power is supporting the "victimized" celebritites, and the ones who look at those photos are insensitive perverts . In a way they are also using this incident to their advantage to make their views heard.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #30
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Say hello to men who hate NSA spying but love invading the privacy of women | The Verge
Oh the hypocrisy of that Reddit group.

Yep overall it's celebrity thing, but it's also laced with misogynist views and implications. There are guys (like in that above tweet) who actually feel they are entitled to these pics. There was even more vitriol directed at her and others.