Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 05-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #51
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
I'm just about done with SF4/5 and I hardly ever played them, being another SF2 arcade casual, never having gotten into modern competitive fighting games. I'm tired of the watercolor gimmick, oversized hands and feet, and the unreal engine that Japanese developers have overused in the past several years. GG Strive definitely has the right idea. With an evolution of the SF3 style, or something entirely different, Capcom has a lot of their own material to draw from, but I think they'll stay with the status quo.
I have to admit, i do like the vibrant look of Street Fighter 4
My guess is, assuming Capcom want to push the power of PS5, SF6 might feature characters that wear outfits that look less drawn, and more like real cloth, as they have done with the new Resident Evil game. The PS4 version will look like a blurred version.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #52
MegatronG1
The X-Men

SFIV's aesthetics were welcome for the time after the lull in fighting games in the 00s. I enjoyed the early days of IV, but never once got into the fighting game community and all of its shenanigans.

For SF6 if they manage to go with a more crisp anime(better yet, bring SF2 concept art vibes to life), less watercolor, and more lively stage backgrounds, that would set it apart from being another SFV season pass.

I'm not at all a fan of Guilty Gear's aesthetics, as the hyper-anime stuff is way too disorienting for my taste, but enjoyed playing the early ones on the Dreamcast. But from a collecting standpoint, those characters are all forgettable unlike SF.

I think that bringing back simpler character-oriented story modes as SF2/Alpha and dropping the high stakes Shadaloo nonsense for a while would be nice.

The only realistic SF game I'll take is the Movie arcade game.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:59 PM   #53
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegatronG1 View Post
SFIV's aesthetics were welcome for the time after the lull in fighting games in the 00s. I enjoyed the early days of IV, but never once got into the fighting game community and all of its shenanigans.

For SF6 if they manage to go with a more crisp anime(better yet, bring SF2 concept art vibes to life), less watercolor, and more lively stage backgrounds, that would set it apart from being another SFV season pass.

I'm not at all a fan of Guilty Gear's aesthetics, as the hyper-anime stuff is way too disorienting for my taste, but enjoyed playing the early ones on the Dreamcast. But from a collecting standpoint, those characters are all forgettable unlike SF.

I think that bringing back simpler character-oriented story modes as SF2/Alpha and dropping the high stakes Shadaloo nonsense for a while would be nice.

The only realistic SF game I'll take is the Movie arcade game.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:47 PM   #54
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Yeah, when I say "game accurate", I'm mostly referring to face and any costume details. I'm totally fine with hands and feet being scaled down some percentage toward 'normal', if not fully 'normal'.
That’s why I got the 1/6 Kinetiquettes Femme Fatales version of her. It feels a lot more ‘normal’, or at least SF2 proportions. I have never been a fan of the massive thigh version of Chun-Li.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #55
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Not 2D and not sprites, but yes, that looks awesome, as does Dragonball Fighterz. Wish SF had taken that road with IV or V, and now hope VI does.

Cel or animated artstyle will always age better than any attempt at 3D realism.
Oh I know. It's time for games to go back to being about game play and beauty not rendering 3D models and massive stories to masquerade the lack thereof.

3D models can finally accurately represent drawn sprites in 3 dimensions! The dream is at hand.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #56
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Oh I know. It's time for games to go back to being about game play and beauty not rendering 3D models and massive stories to masquerade the lack thereof.

3D models can finally accurately represent drawn sprites in 3 dimensions! The dream is at hand.

Although, I've said previously, I do love spritework as an artstyle. I'm all over most indie games that feature it. Probably not enough fans to justify a AAA developer using said style, especially for a fighter, like Street Fighter.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:24 PM   #57
The World
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
The games got a lot uglier starting with 4. 3D has not been kind to the franchise. If they make a sixth game, I imagine it will use the RE Engine and be full of hyper realistic faces, boring extremely realistic proportions/anatomy, motion captured animations, and overall grimdark realistic aesthetic. In other words it'll probably look awful, similar to DMCV.

DMCV looks awful? You're crazy.
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #58
The World
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
GG Strive screams otherwise.
https://youtu.be/JNS8qszbo0U?t=61
The problem with the Arc System Works style that everyone worships so much is that it is very impractical to do alternate costumes for characters. There is literally just ONE character in FighterZ with an alternate look and that's Videl with her long hair.

And fighting games do need costumes to sell more DLC, that's one of the income points for SF4 and SF5. Capcom would be silly to give that up and variety wise it makes the games extremely boring (Fighter Z, Guilty Gear XRD / Strive).
The World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:58 PM   #59
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The World View Post
The problem with the Arc System Works style that everyone worships so much is that it is very impractical to do alternate costumes for characters. There is literally just ONE character in FighterZ with an alternate look and that's Videl with her long hair.

And fighting games do need costumes to sell more DLC, that's one of the income points for SF4 and SF5. Capcom would be silly to give that up and variety wise it makes the games extremely boring (Fighter Z, Guilty Gear XRD / Strive).
Why would it be impractical? They aren't hand drawn animation frames they are 3D models.

No other fighting games before MKX and SFIV/V were so heavily invested with costumes. I understand the impetus of a revenue stream but all other fighting games prior or since have not had the clout or developer resources for it to be relevant revenue generator including Arc.

Also lot of things are getting construed together here. Anime style/cartoon art/cell shading. I'm referring to the literal translation of drawn art to video game frames There's no one way it has to be done, nothing is on or off the table. Street Fighter is due a major aesthetic overall after 15 years and there's an opportunity to do something that before has not been possible.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:44 AM   #60
Gyro Zeppeli
Zot

That issue is really overblown. They can charge a lot for skins to make up for it. Also, the technique they got better at mass producing after Xrd as evident by them pumping out Granblue and DBZ. As for why it is an issue at all, it is because particularly with Xrd they would go back and brush up the frames of animation to be a lot more stylized and dynamic. If you take the actual character models they aren't as interesting looking and many of the animations have a ton of effects and fine tweaking after the fact. Depending on their process and the frame in question, a new skin would require fixing up those frames again. On the other hand, Capcom just slaps a cheap texture and color on a female's skin, calls it a skin-tight costume, and releases it without even looking at how it animates. Thanks to that we have horrible clipping issues all over the place in SFV. SFV is a low budget out sourced mess of a game with so little care and attention put into it. Capcom could never bother to put even half the level of commitment and care that Arcs did to Xrd with SFVI. They'll just pump it out off the RE Engine for a quick cash grab.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote