Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

View Poll Results: DC Comics will revert back to original continuity in 1 to 2 years
Yes they will 30 76.92%
No they wont 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #101
Teague
Iron Man

I'm actually reading (finally!) the first issues of the New-52 Action Comics, and they're pretty fun.

I still don't see how a property survives by abandoning it's long-term mythoi, though. I agree that with both Marvel and DC--if they can revert, they will.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #102
Patch
Doh!

76% of you were wrong.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #103
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
76% of you were wrong.
Probably not the first time for any of us. New 52 still is a betrayal of long time DC fans. At least this one. So maybe it was just wishful thinking.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #104
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

I don't even know if I would go back at this point. I dropped GL when Johns left, dropped JL on the reboot, dropped all Bat-Titles on the reboot except the one with Capullo on art now it's dropped as well on zero year. Dropped Supes titles. Dropped Constantine, Dark JL, the list is endless.

Superman/Batman and Aquaman were the longest ones I kept and now they are dropped.

They have lost me.
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #105
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Busts View Post
I don't even know if I would go back at this point. I dropped GL when Johns left, dropped JL on the reboot, dropped all Bat-Titles on the reboot except the one with Capullo on art now it's dropped as well on zero year. Dropped Supes titles. Dropped Constantine, Dark JL, the list is endless.

Superman/Batman and Aquaman were the longest ones I kept and now they are dropped.

They have lost me.
They may have lost you, but I am sure another has taken your place. As I buy more DC then I ever have due to the re-boot making the majority of their characters easier to follow without all the clutter.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #106
built2shred
Phoenix

I hadn't read comics in years until I saw an article about the New 52, it got me back into comics since I could get in on the ground floor....

That said, I can understand the disappointed of those who had been following the older comics...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #107
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
They may have lost you, but I am sure another has taken your place. As I buy more DC then I ever have due to the re-boot making the majority of their characters easier to follow without all the clutter.
+1
DC pre-reboot was not reader friendly in any way. It was, to put it simply, a disaster.

I remember that I picked up a few books before the new 52 and would have walked away then if it wasn't for the new 52 coming up.

I'll still never understand those who have entirely sworn off DC or certain characters as they feel the history is lost. Comics are a form of entertainment like television and movies. All the time on the screen, things are constantly changed and rebooted to great success, yet you do it in print and its sacrilege?

Maybe I'm just the exception in that I can love the characters and their past history and still love the current changes without taking offence to it.

Now the new 52 experience isn't perfect by any means. Books that were once garbage are still garbage based on the creative team. A few books are really shining bright though and people are truly missing out on great stories all because they refuse to accept any change.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #108
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
-1 for me. I don't recognize these characters anymore. I don't find them easier to follow as too much flies in the face of the decades long history I've so enjoyed. I'm down to the Snyder Batman book and that's it, after having given several of these titles the college try.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #109
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
+1
DC pre-reboot was not reader friendly in any way. It was, to put it simply, a disaster.

I remember that I picked up a few books before the new 52 and would have walked away then if it wasn't for the new 52 coming up.

I'll still never understand those who have entirely sworn off DC or certain characters as they feel the history is lost. Comics are a form of entertainment like television and movies. All the time on the screen, things are constantly changed and rebooted to great success, yet you do it in print and its sacrilege?

Maybe I'm just the exception in that I can love the characters and their past history and still love the current changes without taking offence to it.

Now the new 52 experience isn't perfect by any means. Books that were once garbage are still garbage based on the creative team. A few books are really shining bright though and people are truly missing out on great stories all because they refuse to accept any change.
No, it's not sacrilege. I love the new Star Trek films. I loved the remake of Dark Shadows a few decades ago. I dug the post-Crisis on Infinte Earths DC Universe as a DC reader since the 1960s. I'm also digging Superior Spider-Man regardless of fan outrage, and I've been reading Spidey since the '60s. I have no issue with rebooting franchises and characters. But if they're too far out of step with what made the characters resonate then it just doesn't work, speaking only for myself. The New 52 just doesn't work for me, and I've given it a shot with several titles, but now I'm just down to the Snyder Batman book, which works for me.

Last edited by wktf; 11-17-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #110
sleepindeath
Nightwing

No disrespect to older readers, but this is a business that will go down in flames if it does not change with the times and try to gain new readership. If they can gain two new readers for one old school then they win. Yes, guys we are disposable like anything else in life.
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote