Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 05-28-2014, 03:54 AM   #21
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

What's this about the Washington Post blaming Jude Ap and Seth Rogans movies for this? Talk about rubbish.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/st...stic-massacre/
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 AM   #22
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Yeah it's ridiculous. Here are some good rebuttal articles on it

Linking Seth Rogen, Judd Apatow to UCSB Shootings is Absurd | Variety

Now We're Blaming NEIGHBORS For The UCSB Shooting? | Badass Digest

It's Monumentally Stupid to Suggest Seth Rogen Movies Are to Blame For Isla Vista Shooting

Here are some tweets that I came across on a similar subject.

bdgrabinski: "Apatow has been ahead of the curve when you consider GIRLS, BRIDESMAIDS, and TRAINWRECK. He went from a boys club to something different."

Veektohr: "@devincf also the only movies Rodger talks about watching/impacting him in his manifesto are cartoons and the Star Wars prequels."

He states that he attended the movie premieres as his mother was good friends with Lucas and they dated for a short time.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #23
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

BTW that "Elliot Rodger Is an American Hero" Facebook page finally got taken down earlier yesterday. And it's not just Twitter or Facebook, there are these whole online communities of "Men's Right Movement" who are advocating his actions.

Those vile comments screenshot which I posted earlier was shared on Twitter, but was taken from such online circles.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #24
Shoo
Hercules

I can't believe all that stupidity.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #25
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Ever since this shooting incident news broke out, one of the reasons that I keep seeing being brought up for Rodger's action is mental illness. And it really bothers me.

There have been evidence in the past where some killers were known to have some sort of mental illness. But that doesn't necessarily mean every killer is mentally ill, in fact lot of these people are just evil who don't care about morality.

It's like the lawyer's way of helping the criminal to get away with harsh judgement by using the insanity defense even when it's not the case.

There are many good people in the world suffering with mental illness, some more than others. While some may be only suffering from clinical depression or severe anxiety or they are just wallowing in self pity. They still are good people struggling with their lives within their moral boundaries.

Why does evil always need to be associated with mental illness? They are many smart and ruthless people in the world who are mentally sound but they are just pure evil.

There is evil and darkness in each and everyone of us, but it's how we choose to lead our lives while still upholding our ethics and moral values that makes all the difference.

Attributing mental illness to Rodger is pretty much removing him from personal responsibility, but even if he did have mental illness there is no denying that it's the extreme misogynist thinking and the circles he was part of that really fueled his actions.

The Men's Rights Movement Taught Elliot Rodger Everything He Needed to Know | Anne Theriault
Here is an article which addresses similar concerns and talks about the bigger cause.

You Must Read #YesAllWomen | Badass Digest
More people should be talking about this. And more parents should be talking about this to their kids, especially boys and young men.

And here are some quotes from one of my favourite movies, Se7en.

"William Somerset: I just don't think I can continue to live in a place that embraces and nurtures apathy as if it was virtue.

David Mills: You're no different. You're no better.

William Somerset: I didn't say I was different or better. I'm not. Hell, I sympathize; I sympathize completely. Apathy is the solution. I mean, it's easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It's easier to steal what you want than it is to earn it. It's easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs: it takes effort and work. "

Last edited by Spideristic; 05-28-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #26
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
Ever since this shooting incident news broke out, one of the reasons that I keep seeing being brought up for Rodger's action is mental illness. And it really bothers me.

There have been evidence in the past where some killers were known to have some sort of mental illness. But that doesn't necessarily mean every killer is mentally ill, in fact lot of these people are just evil who don't care about morality.

It's like the lawyer's way of helping the criminal to get away with harsh judgement by using the insanity defense even when it's not the case.

There are many good people in the world suffering with mental illness, some more than others. While some may be only suffering from clinical depression or severe anxiety or they are just wallowing in self pity. They still are good people struggling with their lives within their moral boundaries.

Why does evil always need to be associated with mental illness? They are many smart and ruthless people in the world who are mentally sound but they are just pure evil.

There is evil and darkness in each and everyone of us, but it's how we choose to lead our lives while still upholding our ethics and moral values that makes all the difference.

Attributing mental illness to Rodger is pretty much removing him from personal responsibility, but even if he did have mental illness there is no denying that it's the extreme misogynist thinking and the circles he was part of that really fueled his actions.

The Men's Rights Movement Taught Elliot Rodger Everything He Needed to Know | Anne Theriault
Here is an article which addresses similar concerns and talks about the bigger cause.

More people should be talking about this. And more parents should be talking about this to their kids, especially boys and young men.

"William Somerset: I just don't think I can continue to live in a place that embraces and nurtures apathy as if it was virtue.

William Somerset: I didn't say I was different or better. I'm not. Hell, I sympathize; I sympathize completely. Apathy is the solution. I mean, it's easier to lose yourself in drugs than it is to cope with life. It's easier to steal what you want than it is to earn it. It's easier to beat a child than it is to raise it. Hell, love costs: it takes effort and work. "
I totally agree with your view. As a modern society we try to rationalize everything and mostly what we do not understand.

It is easier to attribute mental illness as the reason for mass murderers or acts of hideous crimes. The true of the matter is, as you mentioned, there is unspeakable evil in our world. There are people that embodied that evil and walk among us. They are not remorseful of causing pain. We cannot be timid and expect the world to be saved by itself. Or so self-absorbed that we do not pay attention to what is happening around us. We have to act, as parents, as a society, and as individuals to stop the chaos to take over our world.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #27
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post

You should read a few of the books by John Douglas. He's a former special agent with the FBI and a pioneer in criminal profiling.

After years working for the bureau in criminal psychology, he then became an author and spent a lot of his time travelling from state to state attending parole hearings trying to ensure that these sort of people did not get released back into society.

I'll warn you though, some of his books like Mindhunter and Journey Into Darkness are pretty hard to read (in that they are disturbing and disheartening).

But with all of his experience, he has what he calls a 'realists' approach to the issue of insanity.

http://mindhuntersinc.com/violent-pr...anity-defense/

Interestingly, Douglas is also the person that the Jack Crawford character was based on in Silence of the Lambs.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #28
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
I totally agree with his view at the very end of the article.
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Thanks jpsarri, well said. During many occasions I am a pessimist when it comes to the human condition, we as a species in society are never truly going to prevail in harmony as there will always be people stirring up chaos. All we can do is play our part no matter how big or small of a contribution it is, to stand up against such evil.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Thanks Nidgit, sounds interesting. I will check out those books someday. I too totally agree with John Douglas' views in that article.

Too bad this coward Elliot Rodger killed himself, would have preferred to see him get humiliated and then sentenced to death. Problem is he likely would have gotten away with the insanity defense and would get to live for many years. So I guess in a way it's good that he is dead, else he would be a living 'hero' to those misogynistic cretins.

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/01/c...residents-gun/
BTW have you read about Carl Panzram? I read this piece two years ago and I still can't get over about some of heinous acts he did. This was all during the early 20th century when it was much easier to get away with such crimes repeatedly. He is a perfect example of evil who was totally aware of his actions and many like him will choose to do it again and again.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
MrYac
Hercules

now that was an interesting read, as disgusting as it was I can't help but find "Next Carl hired a canoe with six Africans. His plan was simple: he wanted to find crocodiles. And he found plenty of them. Upon coming across a batch of crocs, Carl shot his six men and fed them all to the crocodiles." hilarious in it's absurdity.

as for the insanity issue I think the main consensus is that a sane person CAN'T do that sort of thing, a sane person doesn't wake up one day and decide he wants to shoot 6 random people, a sane person doesn't decide he wants to kill 1st graders in class, a sane person doesn't want to feed people to friggin crocodiles. the difference in my view however is that insanity is not an excuse for the crimes and should not be used to get them off, if a person is truly "insane" by the courts book then they should be committed to an asylum never to see the light of day again just as they would be sealed up in prison otherwise
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote