Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
law1349
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

It's funny that I just ran upon this thread because I've been thinking the same thing about sideshow. The crazy thing is that I only own Bowens. But I just got in the Beta Ray Bill full size and MB, and was very disappointed. I just feel the level of detail and paint skills are lacking. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but even being a novice sculptor, I feel I could make some of these Bowens pieces. But I see some of these sideshow pieces and it just blows me way.
law1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Vallos
Jubilee

So, it seems Bowen is the gateway statue drug...LOL.

In that case, I just skipped the pot and when straight to coke!
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
ambasah
Red Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
I remember the topic you made a few weeks ago asking how we can afford the higher priced pieces...welcome to the (higher priced) addiction

wait until you discover custom pieces...then you're really screwed

but I did the same thing when I started with SS, got rid of the few Bowen pieces I have. Only thing I'm collecting from Koto is the DC Bishoujo line as well as their upcoming classic avengers (Thor, Cap, IM). Other than that I'm sticking with SS' pieces. I'd love to collect all the lines but focusing on only 1 brand is the best thing for my wallet
ain't that the truth!
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
Mamba
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I sold all my bowen and koto statues, and never regret it. I have 35 statues now, and they all 100% sideshow. Last weekend I just saw bowen smackdown Hulk and bowen museum wolverine, I used to own those. I couldn't believe how tiny they are...when I had those statues I don't think I ever felt they are that small, but now after collecting sideshow statues, those bowens look very tiny...I don't care how good the sculpt is, if the statue is too small it really turns me off. So Sideshow it is for me.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
lets put it this way, sideshow has the POTENTIAL to create amazing statues - some top of my head: conan prize, sc2 marine, barbarian, optimus prime, snake eye + timber etc...

but it doesnt mean all their stuff are great, a lot are not.

bowen/koto on the other hand, will never wow you, it will always just be borderline between collectable & toys.
I've been impressed with Bowen - many times over.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
benhernandez
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I was buying what ever caught my eye. I've recently had to change my possition due to the following.

1. I have a child and I rather spend money on him that buy every piece out there.

2. I am running out of space.

3. Bowen and Koto prices are about 1/4 to 1/3 less than a Sideshow piece and are about half the size with half the detail and half the display capabilities.

With those 3 things in play I have decided to collect Only SS pieces or the rare pieces that are part of a property or character that I love. Such as Aspen products.

In order to make room I decided to sell all of my Bowens, except for a few. and some SS pieces.

I never knew how valuable space was in this hobby until 4 years later.

Oh also, I forgot most Bowens and Kotos don't gain value since Bowen is always re releasing the same character.

While SS sometimes doubles in value in just months.
benhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

@Ben Actually, nowadays Bowen prices are catching up closer to Sideshows. Bowen pieces are running $230.00 for a simple 1/6-1/7 scale female statue in a museum pose on a plain roundish base. For less than $100 more, you can get a 1/4 scale PF with a better base, more dynamic pose and switch out options.

Perfect example is the classic Storm. Don't get me wrong, I love both the new museum classic Bowen Storm and the Sideshow PF, but look at the differences:

Bowen Storm $230.00 retail, 12" tall, plain round X base, museum pose

Sideshow Storm EX PF $324.99 retail, 20" tall, nature rock base, 2 alternate portraits, 2 alternate switch out hands, poseable fabric cape and art print.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMAN View Post
I never switched over......I will buy whatever draws my attention...both sideshow and bowen...
Ditto
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
benhernandez
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
@Ben Actually, nowadays Bowen prices are catching up closer to Sideshows. Bowen pieces are running $230.00 for a simple 1/6-1/7 scale female statue in a museum pose on a plain roundish base. For less than $100 more, you can get a 1/4 scale PF with a better base, more dynamic pose and switch out options.

Perfect example is the classic Storm. Don't get me wrong, I love both the new museum classic Bowen Storm and the Sideshow PF, but look at the differences:

Bowen Storm $230.00 retail, 12" tall, plain round X base, museum pose

Sideshow Storm EX PF $324.99 retail, 20" tall, nature rock base, 2 alternate portraits, 2 alternate switch out hands, poseable fabric cape and art print.
That's what I mean. The Bowen storm is about 1/4 less than the SS storm and Has les detail, is smaller, and has less extras.
benhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I've been impressed with Bowen - many times over.
Same here a perfect example is the action Thor IMO it's better than the SS Thor PF which is looking up so you can't even see his face WTF.
And before anyone says something about the SS Thor I own it and to me it sucks that's why it's still in the box.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote