Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-21-2017, 12:10 AM   #31
gorocketcat
Sailor Moon

ALWAYS KEEP EVERYTHING

This way when you sell your statue, and trust me - all statues get sold/traded eventually - you'll save yourself a million headaches and a large amount of money. Getting a custom shipping box can cost anywhere from $10-100 dollars out of pocket - not to mention you'll keep the statue's value intact.

I speak from experience, having made a foolish mistake.
gorocketcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 AM   #32
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I never sell anything I own if I have to sell something especially if it's collectible then where is the sense buying it??? These things don't hold any real value anyway. The only value in these statues are in the personal enjoyment you get That's it
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #33
jeremydmc
Black Panther

I keep everything. It's getting harder and harder to find the room as my collection continues to grow. But so far I have been keeping it all. I have sold some along the way and was thankful I had the original packaging.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #34
Python
Omega Red

I keep them.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #35
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post

I used to throw them away way back when then I realized I was an idiot, they don't take up any more room and helps retain the value of the piece

getting rid of boxes / styrofoam...? lolz good luck moving
Moving statues is extremely easy without the original boxes. Have done it many times in the past and I didn't even have a single scratch occur. Anyone who has any basic knowlegde on properly shipping or packaging of items will have no problem at all moving statues without the original boxes or styrofoam. To suggest one needs the original boxes and styrofoam to move thier statues successfully is a fallacy. All you need are a bunch of t-shirts or soft foam wrap, some shipping peanuts, and some moving boxes. I really dont have to worry about it anymore one way or the other as the chances of my wife and I moving is about 1 in a million at this point.

And I don't understand the taking up more room comment at all. Empty boxes for 1:4 and 1:3 statues take up a crapload of room. One of our spare bedrooms was literally 60% full of empty statue boxes. My wife was ecstatic when I decided to toss them. They basically took up an entire room in our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
Mind if I ask, what's the point of keeping the art box if you've thrown out the styro?

FYI and for the sake of the thread, I keep everything.
Cause I like the art boxes. Many of them have cool designs and they take up a completely insignificant amount of space. The brown shipping boxes and styrofoam take up a ton of space and look terrible so those go straight in the garbage, but the art boxes are worth keeping IMO.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #36
SONICobra
Batman

well as someone who just moved 30+ statues 2300 miles across the country - along with many other items / boxes - i couldnt imagine doing it without the original styrofoam inserts / boxes. i was stressing out enough with them in the original packaging lol
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #37
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

No boxes = more places to display your statues.

Keeping all those boxes is probably why I hear so many collectors complaining about space.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
well as someone who just moved 30+ statues 2300 miles across the country - along with many other items / boxes - i couldnt imagine doing it without the original styrofoam inserts / boxes. i was stressing out enough with them in the original packaging lol
I moved 4 times in a 6 year period when I was in college. I owned around 12 statues at the time and I had to store the boxes in my parents basement as I didnt have enough room for them in the apartment's and lofts I lived in. And I didnt feel like driving 2 1/2 hours away to get the boxes when I moved so I just packaged them up in regular moving boxes using nothing but t-shirts and shipping peanuts and again I didnt have a single issue with them. I was FAR more worried about my framed pictures than I was about my statues. Statues are easy to securely package up properly. Large framed prints with glass is a completely different ballgame.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
And I don't understand the taking up more room comment at all.
a brown box slipped over an assembled art box does not take up that much more space

bottom line, im glad that you and others have found a work around for not keeping boxes - if that works for you awesome. i personally cannot in good conscience recommend anyone to knowingly dispose of their boxes as i would never do it myself - ever
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
a brown box slipped over an assembled art box does not take up that much more space

bottom line, im glad that you and others have found a work around for not keeping boxes - if that works for you awesome. i personally cannot in good conscience recommend anyone to knowingly dispose of their boxes as i would never do it myself - ever
I thought you were talking about boxes in general. Bottom line, empty statue boxes take up a crapload of space if you buy a lot of statues, regardless of wether you keep the brown shipping box or not. And I felt the same way you do at one point. I 2nd guessed myself the entire time I was throwing them away and it took like 10 trips to the recyling drop off to get rid of them all. I was even tempted a couple of times to go back and get them all back. Then a couple weeks passed and I realized it was one of the smartest decisons I have ever made. Then again, I have no plans on ever selling any of my statues, statue collecting isnt an investment related hobby for me, and moving is just a non issue. This is obviously a topic that people are going to have very different opinions on, based on many different circumstances (how many statues they buy, how big thier house or apartment is, if they move a lot, etc.).

I was literally approaching full capacity in regards to space as statues are just one of my MANY collecting hobbies. My biggest issue in regards to space isnt even statues, its art books and I basically had 3 choices, stop buying new collectibles, sell some of the collectibles I already owned to make room for new purchases, or throw away all of the empty statue boxes, print boxes, shipping tubes etc. that I kept. I am happy to say that at least for me, I definitely made the right choice.