Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Sorry Sam - No interest in any of these. I'd check out Daughters of the Dragon but I am not a big fan of that art style and it is being used in mainstream books way too much these days. To me it screams that the story should be taken seriously enough.

DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) sounds like I'm glad I skipped it and I'm usually a fan of Vertigo stuff. Preachy is the quickest way to turn me off to any book.

I am torn on the Ultimate universe. It sounds like great writing and art. I also blame them for inspiring the suckfest that was the FF movie. I "ultimately" wish Marvel were putting this much time and effort into some of their regular books. Some of these stories are great variations on a theme, but I don't buy Elseworlds books because they don't matter, and if it looks like an Elseworlds, feels like an Elseworlds, and smells like an Elseworlds, it's an Elseworlds.

Someday when us dinosaurs age away, the only ones left buying comics will probably be reading Ultimates and they will do away with the regular universe. That will be a sad day indeed, but it probably why Marvel keeps on sticking with it and expanding it.

I hate being all negative, so on a positive note, Cage and I were at the Pats/Jags playoff game Saturday night. Cage brought wings fresh from the butcher and I smothered them in my sauce. You would have loved it. Food, Beer, Football. You can't ask for more.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
I am torn on the Ultimate universe. It sounds like great writing and art. I also blame them for inspiring the suckfest that was the FF movie. I "ultimately" wish Marvel were putting this much time and effort into some of their regular books. Some of these stories are great variations on a theme, but I don't buy Elseworlds books because they don't matter, and if it looks like an Elseworlds, feels like an Elseworlds, and smells like an Elseworlds, it's an Elseworlds.

Someday when us dinosaurs age away, the only ones left buying comics will probably be reading Ultimates and they will do away with the regular universe. That will be a sad day indeed, but it probably why Marvel keeps on sticking with it and expanding it.
And if you didn't like Ultimate Marvel before, Ultimate Defenders sure as heck wasn't gonna convince you...
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Mad, sorry I missed you cats at the game... Maybe in NYC con you can bring some of this fables wing sauce and I can give it the wilson stamp of approval. I also understand completely about the art on Daughters of the Dragon, myself, I'm not a huge fan of it, but ultimately (wow I am sick of that word) I found I was okay with it since the book sticks true to the history of the characters. I'm interested in what Cage has to say about this book, I'll have to check with him...

jdh. Word on Captain Mahr Vell. But when he was first introduced in the regular Marvel U, wasn't he known as Mar Vell or something like that as well? I'll have to check on that one.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #14
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
jdh. Word on Captain Mahr Vell. But when he was first introduced in the regular Marvel U, wasn't he known as Mar Vell or something like that as well? I'll have to check on that one.
Indeed he was - Mar-Vell, but no 'h's. To be honest, I don't mind Mahr Vel or Gah Lak Tus, I just wanted to use that Van Damme joke. That name I hate.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #15
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Indeed he was - Mar-Vell, but no 'h's. To be honest, I don't mind Mahr Vel or Gah Lak Tus, I just wanted to use that Van Damme joke. That name I hate.

Van Damme is totally stupid, no question, as are his cat legs or whatever.

You like U. Carol Danvers? I like the short hair, she's kinda foxy... (not to minxish for ol' jdh, is she? )
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wilson
Van Damme is totally stupid, no question, as are his cat legs or whatever.

You like U. Carol Danvers? I like the short hair, she's kinda foxy... (not to minxish for ol' jdh, is she? )
It's always good to see Carol pop up. Fingers crossed she'll get powers and a costume (it would be nice to see an Ultimate riff on that classic red and blue outfit somewhere...)
Old 01-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
Azog
Sailor Moon

Ultimate Extinction #1 was solid read, but it left me with a ton of questions, who is the guy at the end? Is it the Ultimate Version of who I think it is?

As for the other Ultimate title this week, X-Men, that was solid read! The reapperance of another Ultimate Villian is very cool
Azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #18
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azog
Ultimate Extinction #1 was solid read, but it left me with a ton of questions, who is the guy at the end? Is it the Ultimate Version of who I think it is?

As for the other Ultimate title this week, X-Men, that was solid read! The reapperance of another Ultimate Villian is very cool

re: Ultimate Extinction, yeah, I'm thinking the same thing Azog. Word.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #19
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
In my humble opinion, wktf, you are missing out. For me, The Ultimates is consistently the weakest of the four Ultimate ongoings - it's the only one that lingers low down in my must-read list. It's also the only one weaker than its MU counterpart, for me. The best Spidey, X and FF stories these days happen with an Ultimate on the cover. Fingers crossed Loeb's run will be more to my liking without sacrificing any of your enjoyment.
Fair enough, jdh. I did pick up the first several issues of Ultimate FF but it just didn't grab me. The others I may not have given a fair shot because I may just fall into the same camp as Madjazz. I'm not sure why Ultimates grabbed me right off but it did and I'm hooked. Of course, based on Sam's reviews, I'm gonna have some Utimate U trades to pick up soon.

Hope to get my reviews in tomorrow AM, by the way.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #20
Cage
Statueforum Consiglieri

Great Job on the reviews as usual. I will check out Daughters of the Dragon, like Sam I loved them back when Misty and Danny were an item.

I read ultimate secret and only some of ultimate nightmare (yeah I kknow Backward) and look forward to extinction. I like allot of the Ultimate titles. I have the FF run and am digging Ultimate Spiderman.

Although it sounds horribly wrong for Madjazz to say he smothered my chicken in his sauce and it was wonderful, we did have a great time at the game. The Pats are now 2-0 and have outscored the opponents 56-3 when Cage and MAdjazz are in the Razor!
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote