Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #111
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverine View Post
Still the anime was fun, but in my eyes the rebuild movies are better but not done yet we still need the last movie. and the manga was the most complete version!
what did you think of the third one? I enjoyed the first two but that third one was a hard watch, I haven't finished it yet lol
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #112
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
The last section of Evangelion suffered greatly from a combination of a mental breakdown by the director and extremely poor budgeting by the team in general. Lack of budgeting is a consistent issue that Gainax, and the subsequent Trigger, suffer from throughout history lol.

The merit of Evangelion lies in its strong story telling, cast, and action in the first sections of the series. The last part is intriguing and can leave a lot to think about, but it's hard not to look at it as just mediocre attempts to try to compensate for a lack of funding.

That being said the series as a whole serves a nice purpose of being a fantastic deconstruction of the mecha genre. In the seventies super robot shows were for the most part happy go lucky kids summoning giant robots to battle out against crazy stuff. It was fun and campy. Eighties mecha was a little more grimdark. By the nineties the genre was really starting to slow down and Evangelion came in and picked apart the conventions by presenting a protagonist not so eager to pilot a mech.

It's hard not to look back and think of the franchise fondly as it really rejuvenated the genre for a lot of people, and also is one of the heavy hitters for complex anime. I can understand how people these days may not be able to get into it though.

It's a weird comparison, but I would say Evangelion is somewhat to the mech genre as Watchmen was to superheroes. The more familiar you are with the conventions and traditions, the more you can appreciate what it was trying to do.

And of course the mechs and fight scenes are top notch so it's still awesome all the same
Very good points, and what you say is true. I would obviously however "agree to disagree" regarding the series suffering with the last couple eps. I absolutely understand it's not for everyone, but sometimes initial flaws can turn into positives. I believe the way the series ended really helped elevate the show, in addition to the points you specify (and not to mention the subsequent discussion and furor that took place for years - similar to what happened with the first Matrix movie (now someone can just read a wiki to get up to speed)).

Budget and mental illness may have forced the hand of Gainax, but in doing so, added (and expanded on) another storytelling layer. And I think it was fortuitous that it was done the way it was, and not vice versa (End of Eva becoming episodes, and the episodes becoming a supplemental movie). Of course, no way it would have happened that way, but still... the psychoanalytical themes work for me.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #113
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
hey bro im assuming you've seen some of the reboot movies, what you think?
Yeah, I have Rebuild.

Very conflicted. Of course initially I just wanted a remaster, because I feel the series is perfect. So someone like me probably could never be satisfied otherwise. It just feels like a case of sequel-itis. "Bigger, better, more expensive". Everything AND the kitchen sink. It's lost some soul imo.

Oh, and to boot, I dislike the small changes made to Unit 01.

And the more mechs serve to make the initial three seem less special.

It's HD Eva, so I'm satisfied on some level. I'm sure a remaster is coming at some point though. I'll be ecstatic for that.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #114
Silverine
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
what did you think of the third one? I enjoyed the first two but that third one was a hard watch, I haven't finished it yet lol
loved the second one, the third one was meh hope fourth one is better!
Silverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #115
kevin2323
I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

looks like my wish came true. DBZ announcement might be coming soon via facebook.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #116
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

DBZ is fun, but I'm just not sure the design style translates well to large statues. I could probably only see me grabbing Piccolo, Android 18, and Cell.

A lot of people love DBZ so rock on Prime 1
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:23 AM   #117
FriendlySamurai
Luke Cage

I know PCS was talking DBZ, looks like P1 could beat them to the punch with the license.

any Nadesico fans in here?
FriendlySamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #118
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySamurai View Post
I know PCS was talking DBZ, looks like P1 could beat them to the punch with the license.
PCS already said they didn't get DBZ.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #119
JorgeLoyo
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverine View Post
Still the anime was fun, but in my eyes the rebuild movies are better but not done yet we still need the last movie. and the manga was the most complete version!
The manga was created as advertisement for the anime and imo Hieaki Anno is teh mastermind behind the series, the og anime is best. The movies are good for a quick watch, didn't like the third one that much.

Here's an interesting video about Anno, the guy that uploads this vids has a few more regarding eva.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntZhZKOy1o
JorgeLoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #120
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I am Really Stoked to see and read Ghost in the Shell will is being picked up by P1, I do wonder is this what they are going to be basing them on this pic? If so I do like what I see, just wonder if that means and they might do Batou and Togusa?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghost-in-the-shell-online-4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	100309
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote