Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #521
Python
Omega Red

Regarding the original question, "Is the Hobby at an all time low?"

Well that depends. In terms of the quality of statues being produced, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Companies like Prime 1, Iron studios, Infinity, coolprops and Mamegyorai etc and putting out some absolutely crazy good collectibles. So in that sense I actually think we're at a real high point.

However, regarding pricing, we are at rock bottom. We're at the point where prices have risen at insane rates over relatively small periods of time. In the time that the average PF has tripled in price, and shipping has shot up 10x, my wages haven't altered. And it's just too much. We're dangerously close, or even past in many cases now where the financial stress of trying to stay in the hobby is outweighing the positives and the enjoyment. And the aftermarket has all but crashed. Combine that with stupid high ES numbers and the collectibility aspect of the hobby has all but gone. This will end in disaster if it carries on this way, probably sooner rather than later.

Regarding Facebook, some of those pages (ahem - Prime 1) Are great for info, but have some real Nazi mods that destroy any possibility of genuine community. I use them only for info that I can bring here. I much prefer the structure of a forum. I also hate how Facebook has to share everything you're involved with among all of your friends. I love this hobby, but it's mine and I'd rather my real life were separate from it. Hence the forums are much more preferable.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #522
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I hate Facebook and Twitter. No bigger source of misinformation.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #523
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Sotheby's, Christie's main competitor, charges 25 percent on the first $200,000, 20 percent on the price between $200,000 and $3 million, and 12 percent above $3 million.Sep 6, 2016

Christies will now charge 25 percent on the first $150,000 of the hammer price, 20 percent on amounts from $150,001 to $3 million, and 12 percent on amounts north of $3 million.

While the percentages the house charges at various price levels remain the same, the thresholds have changed. Christie’s previously charged 25 percent of the first $100,000, 20 percent up to $2 million, and 12 percent above $2 million.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #524
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I love this hobby, but it's mine and I'd rather my real life were separate from it.
Same here. That's why I created a new FB account besides my original one (which I had stopped using by mid 2014 anyway) just to learn about new nerdish stuff.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #525
Comicbookguy
Hercules

No doubt fb has the most up to date pics, that's what most wants to see is the pics of new items first hand! Also previews etc it's unbeatable with fb. So many post there. Sales section stinks. You will get low ballers who wants your items for free, or 50% less than retail most times. Low ballers like those should be ignored or blocked.
Comicbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #526
Indomitus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:

Well that depends. In terms of the quality of statues being produced, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Companies like Prime 1, Iron studios, Infinity, coolprops and Mamegyorai etc and putting out some absolutely crazy good collectibles. So in that sense I actually think we're at a real high point.

However, regarding pricing, we are at rock bottom. We're at the point where prices have risen at insane rates over relatively small periods of time. In the time that the average PF has tripled in price, and shipping has shot up 10x, my wages haven't altered. And it's just too much. We're dangerously close, or even past in many cases now where the financial stress of trying to stay in the hobby is outweighing the positives and the enjoyment. And the aftermarket has all but crashed. Combine that with stupid high ES numbers and the collectibility aspect of the hobby has all but gone. This will end in disaster if it carries on this way, probably sooner rather than later.

Regarding Facebook, some of those pages (ahem - Prime 1) Are great for info, but have some real Nazi mods that destroy any possibility of genuine community. I use them only for info that I can bring here. I much prefer the structure of a forum. I also hate how Facebook has to share everything you're involved with among all of your friends. I love this hobby, but it's mine and I'd rather my real life were separate from it. Hence the forums are much more preferable.
Indomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #527
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:

If prices were that ridiculous it hasn't stopped, or even slowed, the larger more expensive, statues.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #528
Biggunz
Loki

Oh hell yeah!!!

That's all I got to say about that
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 PM   #529
maximus_73
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Just checked SS website, and they have about 422,000 collectors.
maximus_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #530
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

I think the core collectors have their collections. There are pieces that trickle into our collection spaces but for the most part we each have a core collection. At this point, we’ll sell or trade some pieces to get the odd new piece but not much further. I feel like there is very little to look forward to. Nothing much on the horizon for me.

The prices are a large barrier for new collectors. Getting into this hobby and setting up a nice collection has become a 10-15k thing. Jumping into this hobby is much harder now.

And remember your first piece? Probably at a store and saw something. You picked it up and put it somewhere you could see it everyday. Then over time thought you should just pick up another? Now that first piece costs newcomers $700 and there aren’t many retailers stocking them to initiate that first impulse buy that starts the cycle.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote