Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

VVitch

Wow... I couldn't find any thread about The VVitch horror film so i opened one.

I watched it some time ago and i tried to make my sister watch the trailer last night but she got too scared and left the room. I had actually watched the trailer at first some time ago and got scread ----less... And then i waited for one week and watched the trailer again, this time i didn't get sceared so i watched the film. My fear threshold got way more high in one week after watching the VVitch trailer. I am more fearless now. HA !

The film was amazing and it wasn't just a regular horror film. It had an anti capitalist message. The money was the Devil and Chiristianty was against Capitalism.

Is this true ? Is The Chiristianty against Capitalism ? I was raised as a muslim, so i don't know. Is this film's understanding of Chiristianty true ?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
ukshaun
Hercules

I watched VVitch some time ago. I liked the atmosphere in what is a somewhat slow film. The anti capitalist message admittedly went over my head. The sequence towards the end might be lost slightly on DVD. Best watch the Blu-ray.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Is this true ? Is The Chiristianty against Capitalism ? I was raised as a muslim, so i don't know. Is this film's understanding of Chiristianty true ?

Christians interpret their text so to say what is true has led to wars and divisions (Europe for centuries) about it.

If you read it, the christian bible does have passages about accumulating wealth, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” I'm sure some would say that's not their interpretation. Where I grew up alcohol was illegal because of baptists, meanwhile a little north the catholics had no issue with it.

Excellent film by the way.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I watched VVitch some time ago. I liked the atmosphere in what is a somewhat slow film. The anti capitalist message admittedly went over my head. The sequence towards the end might be lost slightly on DVD. Best watch the Blu-ray.

I don't remember the exact lines ofcourse, i don't have photograhic memory... :/ but when The Goat, Black Philipe spoke with Thomasin (Anya Taylor-Joy) and transformed into Satan in good cloths;

He says '' Do you like the taste of butter ?''

''Do you want to see the world and Do you want good cloths ?''

or something like this, and asked Thomasin worship him and she excepted.

What i understand from this : Devil is the money. If you wortship him the money, you will have all kinds of pleausure that only the money can give. Good Cloths and a vocation in bahamas or something... lol

Since a good chiristian won't worship devil, the money. A good chiristina will be against money, The Devil right ? so it looks like Chiristianty is against Capitalisim, The Money according to The Film. This is what i understand.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #5
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Christians interpret their text so to say what is true has led to wars and divisions (Europe for centuries) about it.

If you read it, the christian bible does have passages about accumulating wealth, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” I'm sure some would say that's not their interpretation. Where I grew up alcohol was illegal because of baptists, meanwhile a little north the catholics had no issue with it.

There are many interpritations then, right. So i think the film may be true to one of them then and America is not following the Chiristianty interpritation of the film for sure... HA HA xD
Old 09-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I don't remember the exact lines ofcourse, i don't have photograhic memory... :/ but when The Goat, Black Philipe spoke with Thomasin (Anya Taylor-Joy) and transformed into Satan in good cloths;

He says '' Do you like the taste of butter ?''

''Do you want to see the world and Do you want good cloths ?''

or something like this, and asked Thomasin worship him and she excepted.

What i understand from this : Devil is the money. If you wortship him the money, you will have all kinds of pleausure that only the money can give. Good Cloths and a vocation in bahamas or something... lol

Since a good chiristian won't worship devil, the money. A good chiristina will be against money, right ? so it looks like Chiristianty is against Capitalisim, The Money according to The Film. This is what i understand.
I see..

On the subject of picture quality: http://www.dvdexotica.com/2019/05/wh...-is-which.html

(left to right) DVD, Blu-ray, UHD
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #7
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I think you're reaching, DarkKnight. The film has deeper themes, but in my opinion, 'money' and 'capitalism' aren't among them, at least directly.

Yes, Christianity does advocate spiritual wealth over material wealth, but capitalism is just an economic system whereby individuals drive the economy, earning profit, instead of the state.

I think the more accurate conflict is just simply between Thomasin's desire for more freedom, in many aspects, than the repressive Puritan religion she's raised in provides to her.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #8
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post

And Islam is much different?

At supper one night I overhead some college kids saying they were going to stay up playing video games then watch that movie late.

I got a grin on my face and one of them noticed and asked if the movie was good. I told them yes but you gotta be in the mood to pay attention and let it pull you in, can't be doing something else checking texts etc.

As far as the anti capitalist message I didn't so much get that vibe but a tenet of Christianity is to have no masters other than God because you cannot serve 2 masters at once even if they be potentially beneficial (wealth) or potentially detrimental (alcohol). The Bible does also say to everything there is a season.

I did enjoy its message on reverse ageism, jealousy, and puritanical Christian sexuality. Instantly one of my favorite scary movies.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #9
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I think you're reaching, DarkKnight. The film has deeper themes, but in my opinion, 'money' and 'capitalism' aren't among them, at least directly.

Yes, Christianity does advocate spiritual wealth over material wealth, but capitalism is just an economic system whereby individuals drive the economy, earning profit, instead of the state.

I think the more accurate conflict is just simply between Thomasin's desire for more freedom, in many aspects, than the repressive Puritan religion she's raised in provides to her.
I very well may be reaching for sure. I have no idea about Puritan Chiristianty, i heard it for the first time and i am no expert on economy for sure. I just have some ideas about Capitalism. Isn't Capitalism, worhiping money ? i'm just asking. I'm sorry if i offeneded anyone. :/ Don't forget people, it's not a shame to not to know, it's a shame to never learn and it is better late then never... HA HA xD
Old 09-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #10
qz33
Rescue

Have no fear of offense as so far I believe this thread is full of level headed members!
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote