Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Favorite DC Elesworlds Story?

No poll, thought opinions/thoughts would be fun here.

What's your favorite Elseworlds story, and why?

For me, while I loved Red Son which I'm betting will be the runaway choice here, but we'll see, my favorite is Red Rain where Batman does life-or-death- battle with none other than Dracula.

This issue is beautifully crafted by Doug Moench and features some truly stunning art by Batman artistic master Kelly Jones. Plus, the ending was so improbable and unexpected that it left me shaking my head in disbelief and was an awesome cliffhanger into the next two installments in this trilogy.

Okay, who's next?

Last edited by wktf; 11-22-2015 at 06:53 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

A toss-up between Kingdom Come by Waid & Ross, and Superman & Batman: Generations, by John Byrne

Nothing really needs to be said about KC.

Generations consists of three limited series in which the DC Universe ages in real-time. Superman and Batman begin their crimefighting careers in the Golden Age, age accordingly, and give rise to superheroic dynasties, turning their roles over to others. Tons of supporting heroes and villains are mixed in, set in their appropriate eras.

With entire comic universes being rebooted on a regular basis nowadays, plus their seemingly flexible timelines, it's nice to see storylines in which time actually passes and the old guard turn things over to the new.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Man talk about different tastes.

It's kinda funny as a whole I love Kingdom Come but it has so many flaws that I can't actually even look at it and view it seriously much anymore. And on the flipside don't get me started on Generations as a whole which I view more of a bad series that had a few amazing moments.

Though at least none enter the outright BADness that was JLA Created Equal and JLA Act of God.

But since we're here to talk about our FAVORITES.

I'll go into mine.

JLA: The Nail and its sequel Another Nail might be the top Elseworlds of all time in my mind.

Seeing a world that didn't initially have Superman as its premier hero and all that entailed was great fun to see. Seeing how the dominoes fell differently and altered people lives subtly and not so subtly was amazing. And while Another Nail may not have had as many shocking moments, the battle between the ghost of the Joker and Batman might be their best fight ever. Not to mention both books kind of act as tributes to DC comics as a whole and its superheroes.

For similar reasons I loved the Supergirl Batgirl Elseworld's Finest book.

(Though I do wonder WHY they call themselves Supergirl and Batgirl there. I mean they should just be Superwoman and Batwoman then but I digress. )

A world where we get to see what it'd be like if things were quite different. A world where for different reasons Superman and Batman simply never WERE or would be, and how different things become in the world because of it. All the dynamics shift in rather amusing ways. Wonderwoman is essentially Supergirl's mother figure and Joker is in love with Batgirl for example. Perhaps my favorite bit is that Barbara Gordon is Batgirl but she's ALSO Oracle. One of the rare times DC didn't try to make her disability her superhero origin as Oracle.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #4
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Published before DC invented the Elseworlds line. Batman v Jack the Ripper, Mignola art, what's not to like?

Runner up. Fantastic art.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Love Gotham by Gaslight as well.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

DC:The New Frontier

Why? Because IT IS A MASTERWORK of the genre.

P.S. To the ones who had the chance to speak with Cooke at Comic events, please 'plant the seed' for a MiniSerie of The Howling Commandos.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Is New Frontier an Elseworlds branded story? I agree that it's a masterpiece, but didn't realize it's an Elseworlds story.

Last edited by wktf; 12-02-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Now that you mentioned I don't remember the Elseworlds logo on it. Must check it out.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Well not to just say Red Son (even though I've always loved it), Superman: Secret Identity would be my #2
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
Well not to just say Red Son (even though I've always loved it), Superman: Secret Identity would be my #2
Great story but, like New Frontier, not an Elseworlds story.