Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #1041
jaguargod
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Sorry, but Sideshow is not a single entity. Sideshow is a company that is made up of individual artists and each product is made up of a team of artists. So to suggest that Sideshow doesnt strive for higher quality is in fact suggesting that all of the individual artists working for Sideshow are not striving for higher quality. And again, all that statement shows is that you don't understand the minds of artists at all. And again, the fact that thier bringing in talent like Harbottle is 100% proof that even the people at the very top are looking to improve on quality.
SS knows from customer feedback that they are letting too many obvious, easily fixable (if caught in time) mistakes make it into the final versions of their Predator statues. This happens over and over. You may be right that they are striving for better in other areas of their business. I am not a collector of those other licenses, so I wouldn't know. But as far as Predator goes, there is really no evidence that they have taken steps to correct ongoing issues.
jaguargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:42 PM   #1042
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marker2037 View Post
That would be a first and was probably a coding error then . . .
No idea - but it's what happened bud. promise.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #1043
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
If it was very EASILY ACHIEVEABLE, then it would have been done already. Would you not agree Xeno?
You're both right. Of course greater accuracy is achievable. How easily depends on what it is.

I know for a fact (I spoke with the guy who did it) that the leg armour position AND the unmasked portrait were adjusted / re-sculpted. They just weren't fixed properly.

As regards the overlarge masked head and the skinny body. These were obvious from the start (at least in the leaked "in-progress" pics), and are a LOT tougher to fix (basically - needing re-sculpts!) because this was a physical not a digital sculpt. I understand why they didn't fix those, but wish they'd got it right from the beginning.

If they had fixed the leg armour AND got the unmasked mandible correction right, I would have bought it - it looks pretty cool from the right angle, and the bio portrait then becomes less of an issue for those using the unmasked portrait.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #1044
SuperDinoHunter
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Not necessarily.
Just taking a look at the body position in the side by side comparison pic, and they look identical. The heads are slightly positioned differently so it appears to different heads. Hopefully the heads will be swap outs like all the other predator releases. My guess is it will seeing how P2 maquette was.
SuperDinoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #1045
marker2037
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

It's going to be 2 different heads guys. Without a doubt it's 2 heads and not a plug in face and mask. That biomask was just not pushed in all the way in the professional photos.
marker2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:59 PM   #1046
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
. . . holding them to a perfection standard is not realistic. Nothing's perfect. It's a tried and true statement . . . I get more a sense of Predator and SW fans are perfection hounds. Is the Cinemaquette Predator done by Steve Wang perfect? Because if it wasn't perfect coming from his own hands, how can anyone expect it to be from SS?
And again - great start (LOL)

I'm just pleased we're all keeping this civil (for the most part)

Those explaining their disappointment are not expecting perfection.

The Cinemaquette was never supposed to be film accurate - It's Steve Wang's personal interpretation of how he may have adjusted the screen version if he had the chance to turn back time (cue Cher music . . . )

The new Sideshow piece IS intended to be accurate (and isn't).

Liking this or not liking this is personal taste. The considerable failures in accuracy are fact.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #1047
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
SS knows from customer feedback that they are letting too many obvious, easily fixable (if caught in time) mistakes make it into the final versions of their Predator statues. This happens over and over. You may be right that they are striving for better in other areas of their business. I am not a collector of those other licenses, so I wouldn't know. But as far as Predator goes, there is really no evidence that they have taken steps to correct ongoing issues.
And the artists who work on the Predator statue are just a small fraction of the total artists working at Sideshow. As per Sideshow's own website:

Quote:
Our development team consists of expert artists, sculptors, model makers, painters and costumers whose combined efforts result in the creation of outstanding original designs and intricately detailed likenesses of popular characters from highly recognized brands such as Star Wars, Marvel, DC Comics, Alien & Predator, Terminator, The Lord of the Rings, G.I. Joe and many more.
You want to rip on this individual piece or the work Sideshow has done with Predator in general, by all means have at it. Your entitled to your opinion on that matter. That being said, broad statements like "Sideshow doesnt try to improve on quality" are just 100% dead wrong. I guarantee every last artist working for Sideshow wants the statue they are working on to turn out amazing. They legitimately care if people like or dislike a particular statue they are/were involved with. And I guarantee all of them continue to strive to improve thier craft.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #1048
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
It's going to be 2 different heads guys. Without a doubt it's 2 heads and not a plug in face and mask . . .
What he said. 100% guaranteed.

Quote:
. . . That biomask was just not pushed in all the way in the professional photos.
This is also true - it's down to the way the "key" between the head and mask is (1) sculpted, and (2) positioned when gluing.

However - the P2 had the same issue (sculpted by the same team) - I only ever saw 1 P2 that had it correct on delivery - so I'd put money on how THIS one will be delivered too.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #1049
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
. . . I guarantee every last artist working for Sideshow wants the statue they are working on to turn out amazing. They legitimately care if people like or dislike a particular statue they are/were involved with. And I guarantee all of them continue to strive to improve thier craft.
Another 100% accurate statement.

Unfortunately, the costs of fixing MAJOR issues that should have been picked up early on in the sculpting process then result in what we see here.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #1050
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDinoHunter View Post
Just taking a look at the body position in the side by side comparison pic, and they look identical. The heads are slightly positioned differently so it appears to different heads.
Actually, the 'faces' are positioned slightly different, but not the dreads. So I'm just saying there's a possibility, however unlikely it may be.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote