Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 AM   #1
Davidian
Omega Flight

Buying CGC comics question

Hey all, so I have a question about buying CGC graded comics. When you're looking to buy, say on eBay, do you guys use a comic price guide to gauge prices? If so, what sort of value do you think key signatures add when a book is a CGC signature series? This particular book I'm looking at has a graded value of about $1500 for a 9.8, but price guides never factor in signature series books, just "graded". This particular book is signed by Stan Lee and Todd McFarlane, but the seller is asking $2500obo. I don't feel that those 2 signatures would add $1k on top of the graded value, but that's just my opinion, what about you guys? I'm also interested in another copy, which is a 9.6, but signed by Stan Lee, Todd McFarlane, John Romita and David Michelinie and the seller is asking $1645obo, but the graded value is just under $1k. Are these prices reasonable? I don't usually buy graded comics, but this particular one I really want to have in my collection, and I know I'm going to have to pay in order to obtain a copy, I just am curious about your guys' opinions as well.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I'd try to find one unsigned personally. The mark up isn't worth it for the sig.

You have to think that Stan alone has signed a million things over the years. At the most recent (and his final) Canadian con he was charging $100 (or $120...blanking out). His sig is nice to have, but due to the number of things he's signed over the years, aside from wanting his sig as he's Stan Lee, I find it pretty worthless

Anyway that $1645 book (whatever it is) is prob the better option in this case
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
I'd try to find one unsigned personally. The mark up isn't worth it for the sig.

You have to think that Stan alone has signed a million things over the years. At the most recent (and his final) Canadian con he was charging $100 (or $120...blanking out). His sig is nice to have, but due to the number of things he's signed over the years, aside from wanting his sig as he's Stan Lee, I find it pretty worthless

Anyway that $1645 book (whatever it is) is prob the better option in this case
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Davidian
Omega Flight

Thanks for the input gents, I hadn't really thought of that, and I actually agree. I'm a little hesitant even on the $1645 book, since a graded version of it is still under 1k, can't really justify a $700 mark up on 4 sigs. So with that, I'd much rather seek out a 9.8 clean version as you mentioned. Having met Stan Lee, I just thought it'd be cool to have, along with Todd's signature as well.

The book I'm referring to is ASM #300.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Davidian
Omega Flight

Took your guys' advice and snagged a clean copy 9.8 for a decent price. STOKED!
Old 01-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

You made the right move picking up a clean copy.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Congrats!
MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
You made the right move picking up a clean copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
Congrats!
Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Y3E
Gen 13

I am shocked at the asking price for some for the CGC graded books. Sometimes 10X what the actual value is. I actually find CGC books a negative because you can't look inside the comic book.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Davidian
Omega Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
I am shocked at the asking price for some for the CGC graded books. Sometimes 10X what the actual value is. I actually find CGC books a negative because you can't look inside the comic book.
Yeah I agree. Most of the time I try and go after books that are close or under what the comics price guide says they're valued at. If there is a book I'm trying to get and a seller has a OBO, I offer them what the price guide says it's worth. Just tried that yesterday and the seller declined. I'm trying to find first appearances of some of my favorite statues and some of the prices are ridiculous.

It's only a negative IMO if you don't have a raw copy of the book or haven't read it before.