Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

View Poll Results: What characters do you get for your sketch collection?
I only want one character. 1 4.76%
I only want only a specific team or related group of characters 0 0%
I only want a certain company (DC, Marvel, etc) 2 9.52%
I get what the artists draws right now 1 4.76%
I make a decision when I ask for the drawing. 17 80.95%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

POLL: Who is your sketch collection made up of?

I was looking at these sketches and wanted to ask what is your sketch collection made up of. Is it going to revolve mostly or exclusively out of one character? One company? Do you just get what feels right at that moment?

This could provide for a nice discussion.

Since I'm just starting, I'm only getting batman. I may expand to nightwing, batgirl, and maybe wolverine later.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
67wm
The Flash

For me it all depends on the artist.

My first sketchbook started out mainly with signatures, but some artists would throw out those quick freebie con sketches. After that I started planning a little more about who I was in line for and what would look good by that particular artist.

I have upgraded to a little better quality sketchbook and am saving that one for only X-men related characters.
67wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:15 PM   #3
insomniac
Loki

I generally try to get the artist to draw what he is most known for or what I like best from past works. Sometimes I just like them draw whatever they want. Since the majority of my sketches are in a sketch book, what I already have makes a different too.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
bustRgood
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Some times it depends if they will allow sketches (Marvel booth), so I make up my mind while I'm in line. I tend to get what the artist is known for, but now I've put more thought into it and want to get more key heroes/Villens that I like DC/Marvel. If I can't think or know the artist that well I'll let him do whatever he likes to draw, and for some reason that tends to be nightcrawler lol.
bustRgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
bigben7
Kindly Asked To Leave

sam as insomniac i try to get the artist matched up with a book he is doing or has done. like ron lim and silver surfer, galalcatus cosmic stuff. but then again it is kewl to see someone you like do a character they arent known for doing
bigben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #6
TN Reptile
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Actually with my sketch book I ask the artist to draw their favorite charater, no matter who they are or what charater it is. Later on I'll go through and get my favorites put in.
TN Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #7
beav
Justice League

I tend to go with what the Artist is drawing at the time, the first time I see them. After that It's all Flash. There are ups and downs to the what they are drawing at the time though, On one hand it should rock because they are drwing the character over and over, but the down fall is you tend to get a lot of "Con" sketches. An dman do I hate those.
beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #8
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Depends on the Artist:

Tim Sale: I am slowly working on getting all the major characters from The Long Halloween. I still have a few left I'd like to get Gordon, Penguin, Riddler, and Alfred. After those I still would like to get a Hulk and other Marvel characters. If I could have my way I would line up a ton of commissions from Tim but they are very hard to come by as he does not do them very often anymore.

George Perez: Just finished getting all time favorite Avengers from him (Thor, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Captain America, Iron Man and Hawkeye. I started in 1997 and just finished this year. So now I'd like to get some other characters from him like Silver Surfer, Thanos, Hercules, Spider-Man to start off.

Ron Lim: Most Silver Surfer and other cosmic characters that he is famous for.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:01 AM   #9
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

Mine was Rouge at first,then Black Widow,Now it doesnt matter anymore.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 03:10 AM   #10
toyzplz
Death is hereditary.

I like to ask the artist to draw their favorite character. Unless I have a special request like Jim Balent doing Catwoman. Brandon Peterson does a sweet Thor!
toyzplz is offline   Reply With Quote