Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 05-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #41
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
The games got a lot uglier starting with 4. 3D has not been kind to the franchise. If they make a sixth game, I imagine it will use the RE Engine and be full of hyper realistic faces, boring extremely realistic proportions/anatomy, motion captured animations, and overall grimdark realistic aesthetic. In other words it'll probably look awful, similar to DMCV.
I know what you mean...I do love the old hand drawn sprites from Street Fighter II, but you obviously can't go in that direction for SF6 on a PS5 in 2022-2023.

I always thought the backgrounds in the stages like in SFIV & SFV, could of been way better. The people in the backgrounds always look like crap & have barely any AI or animations.

In SF6, they could improve things like that and add more fluid animations to the characters themselves for instance & add way more Victory posses & things to that effect for starters.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #42
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Fighting games are very timing precise. FPS variances are extremely difficult to manage between versions over network connections due to constant interaction between players.

Resolution is a far more likely candidate for variance.

Personally I'm not so interested in the technological mechanics as the art direction. SFV was a definite improvement but I'm tired of the blurry definition and over-sized proportions. Street Fighter has always been about being the beautiful game.
One area i do not care for is Story. It's a fighting game, there is no need for a bloated storyline. Besides, that sort of stuff takes ages to create.
I would like the map screen to return to it's cartoony roots.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:54 PM   #43
Westhelle
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
The games got a lot uglier starting with 4. 3D has not been kind to the franchise. If they make a sixth game, I imagine it will use the RE Engine and be full of hyper realistic faces, boring extremely realistic proportions/anatomy, motion captured animations, and overall grimdark realistic aesthetic. In other words it'll probably look awful, similar to DMCV.
DMCV looks awful? o_O Ok, the levels looked extremely boring with their one tone colours, but the characters looked pretty great imo. Was pretty suprised that they managed it to look so realistic combined with over the top anime action without looking extremely cringe.

But personally I would prefer SF6 not going in that "realistic" direction. There is a leaked early SF5 unreal 4 engine version on the interwebz. Characters didn't look bad at all, but Street Fighter always had those strong cartoonish/animeish expressions.
As much as I hated the bulky characters from SF4, I really did enjoy the japanese calligraphy artstyle overall.

EDIT: Did find the image of the early version of SF5
Westhelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #44
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
I know what you mean...I do love the old hand drawn sprites from Street Fighter II, but you obviously can't go in that direction for SF6 on a PS5 in 2022-2023.

I always thought the backgrounds in the stages like in SFIV & SFV, could of been way better. The people in the backgrounds always look like crap & have barely any AI or animations.

In SF6, they could improve things like that and add more fluid animations to the characters themselves for instance & add way more Victory posses & things to that effect for starters.
On the 2D front, Street Fighter II Turbo remains my favourite.
For some reason, 2D Alpha sprites failed to do much for me. I did not have much love for Super Street Fighter either.

I picked up one of these

LOADING: Image(s)

New Wave Toys LLC - Street Fighter II: Champion Edition. Contains two versions of the game
Street Fighter II Champion Edition and Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Old 05-02-2021, 02:06 PM   #45
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
On the 2D front, Street Fighter II Turbo remains my favourite.
For some reason, 2D Alpha sprites failed to do much for me. I did not have much love for Super Street Fighter either.
Yea, same here. I didn't play a ton of the Alpha Series or 3rd Strike... It was the Street Fighter II games that consumed my interest & time, trying to master SF II to whoop my friends and others in the arcades, or on the SNES.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #46
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Yea, same here. I didn't play a ton of the Alpha Series or 3rd Strike... It was the Street Fighter II games that consumed my interest & time, trying to master SF II to whoop my friends and others in the arcades, or on the SNES.
It was Snes version i used to play, with Turbo set to maximum
Such a great looking, sounding game.
Mortal Kombat 3 was another excellent Snes beat'em up.
Old 05-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #47
qz33
Rescue

Quote:

GG Strive screams otherwise.
https://youtu.be/JNS8qszbo0U?t=61
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #48
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
GG Strive screams otherwise.
https://youtu.be/JNS8qszbo0U?t=61
Not 2D and not sprites, but yes, that looks awesome, as does Dragonball Fighterz. Wish SF had taken that road with IV or V, and now hope VI does.

Cel or animated artstyle will always age better than any attempt at 3D realism.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #49
MegatronG1
The X-Men

I'm just about done with SF4/5 and I hardly ever played them, being another SF2 arcade casual, never having gotten into modern competitive fighting games. I'm tired of the watercolor gimmick, oversized hands and feet, and the unreal engine that Japanese developers have overused in the past several years. GG Strive definitely has the right idea. With an evolution of the SF3 style, or something entirely different, Capcom has a lot of their own material to draw from, but I think they'll stay with the status quo.
MegatronG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #50
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Yeah, when I say "game accurate", I'm mostly referring to face and any costume details. I'm totally fine with hands and feet being scaled down some percentage toward 'normal', if not fully 'normal'.
Oh, I wasn't actually referencing your post other than the pic you used, ZenLogikos. I just happened to use the same expression.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote