Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #12661
Demona
Martian Manhunter

IMO people are better off saving up the money spent on prints and putting that towards an Original Art or Commission cost. Unless there is a print you can't live without, take the plunge and get something one-of-a-kind.

I appreciate prints, but no way in hell would I pay $300+ for one. No way. The $95 is almost tolerable, but then I'd have to pay for framing of something that is massed produced. Nope.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #12662
Demona
Martian Manhunter

GMA?
Old 08-16-2022, 08:55 AM   #12663
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Grey Matter Art. They sell their prints from between $45-65.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:57 AM   #12664
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
IMO people are better off saving up the money spent on prints and putting that towards an Original Art or Commission cost. Unless there is a print you can't live without, take the plunge and get something one-of-a-kind.

I appreciate prints, but no way in hell would I pay $300+ for one. No way. The $95 is almost tolerable, but then I'd have to pay for framing of something that is massed produced. Nope.
I kinda agree but it'll also be a big risk if you don't have an artistic mind and know what you want. Then you need to find an artist that is not only talented but also communicates with you well.

Sometimes its easier to pay for something that you know what is gonna look like. You don't have that luxury with original art commissions.

But I totally agree with a lot of what you are saying. Giclee prints for the most part just don't hold up value at all.

Quote:
GMA?
Grey Matter Art.
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #12665
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Grey Matter Art. They sell their prints from between $45-65.
Yup and they sell a lot of Giclee art similar to Sideshow (often in a bigger format, cheaper prize, and lower ES).

For people interested in these things there is also Bottleneck Gallery (who does a mixture of giclee and screenprints) and the most popular company is Mondo (mostly screenprints).

Giclee is printing from a high quality printer using the best ink possible.

Screen printing is more of a handmade process where colors are separated and silkscreened one layer at a time.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:09 AM   #12666
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
Yup and they sell a lot of Giclee art similar to Sideshow (often in a bigger format, cheaper prize, and lower ES).

For people interested in these things there is also Bottleneck Gallery (who does a mixture of giclee and screenprints) and the most popular company is Mondo (mostly screenprints).

Giclee is printing from a high quality printer using the best ink possible.

Screen printing is more of a handmade process where colors are separated and silkscreened one layer at a time.
Yeah, I like Bottleneck. I wish John Keaveney was still doing his DC prints with them.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #12667
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
I kinda agree but it'll also be a big risk if you don't have an artistic mind and know what you want. Then you need to find an artist that is not only talented but also communicates with you well.

Sometimes its easier to pay for something that you know what is gonna look like. You don't have that luxury with original art commissions.

But I totally agree with a lot of what you are saying. Giclee prints for the most part just don't hold up value at all.

Grey Matter Art.

If you deal with a proven artist, the communication will be there. I've been lucky that I have not been hosed and gotten a lot of pieces I love.

Also, I find half the fun of commissioning art is not pigeon-holing an artist with layout/etc. Pick a character (and costume) and let them go at it. It's been my experience that information is all that is needed, some will ask follow-up questions if needed.

It's not for everybody, but I hope that some will try it out once or twice
Old 08-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #12668
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yeah, I like Bottleneck. I wish John Keaveney was still doing his DC prints with them.
Wasn?t familiar with him had to look him up! Very nice pinup prints. Love his Wonderwoman and Zatana.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #12669
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Wasn?t familiar with him had to look him up! Very nice pinup prints. Love his Wonderwoman and Zatana.
He teased a Storm (literally) last summer and stated he was going to start doing some Marvel pieces like his DC, but they still haven't revealed her or any others. I really hope he gets back to them.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #12670
darren1228
Zot

Quote:
If you deal with a proven artist, the communication will be there. I've been lucky that I have not been hosed and gotten a lot of pieces I love.

Also, I find half the fun of commissioning art is not pigeon-holing an artist with layout/etc. Pick a character (and costume) and let them go at it. It's been my experience that information is all that is needed, some will ask follow-up questions if needed.

It's not for everybody, but I hope that some will try it out once or twice
I just joined a commission group (Raf Banzuela Bloodborne screenprint). So def will be fun to see what he comes up with. I may venture into original art if this ends up being superb. You have any original art you can share with us?