Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 03-23-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Arthas polystone statue ~ Sideshow Collectibles

From Blizzard Entertainment comes the hugely successful MMO World of Warcraft. An array of fantasy gaming set in the world of Azeroth came the company's third installment "The Wrath of the Lich King" Boasting 12 million players worldwide forever changing the face of gaming its no wonder Sideshow Collectibles decided to bring to you from the frozen throne of Northrend Arthas Menethil. Once a Paladin of the Silver Hand in search of a means to save his people Arthas took from its pedestal of ice the cursed sword Frostmourne. Despite the foreboding inscription and with that gesture Arthas become the embodiment of evil in Azeroth the Lich King!

"Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit."

"You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I will show you the justice of the grave... and the true meaning of fear." ~ Lich King

Product Details
Title: Arthas
License: World of Warcraft
ES/EX (edition size): 3000 (exclusive edition size): None
Scale: 1:5
Composition: Fully sculpted & painted polystone
Dimensions: 19" H (482.6mm) x 19.5" W (495.3mm) x 20" L (508mm)
Product Weight: 20 lbs (9.07 kg)
Manufacturer: Sideshow Collectibles
MSRP (USD): $349.99
Design: Kingslayer Rhooria
Sculpt: Idol Workshop, Brian Fay
Paint: Anthony Mestas, Bernardo Esquivel

With that touch on the background of the character Arthas and where he hails from lets delve into this beast of a statue. Weighing in at approximately 20 lbs and being almost 20" in height he will leave quite the footprint on your shelf. The art box that accompanies him his just as massive and nicely done with accurate artwork and blue foil accents throughout the design. The inner foam packaging on this statue is fairly extensive to protect the crazy amount of detail of the sculpt. I would highly recommend snapping a pic or two if you plan on ever repackaging him once opened. I supplied one of the few I took here.

I would also highly recommend exercising CARE when unpacking him. He might be large and heavy but there are many small pieces that could be broken off in shipping or mishandling. Check the protective plastic bags and the foam core for these little pieces as you unpack him.

I received him with one of his arm spikes broken. I left it unattached so the pictures would reflect what I was covering in terms of breakage and what to possibly look for. It was easily glued back on with little effort. You cannot even tell it was ever detached.

I will admit to fanboyism to an extent but as a reviewer I will maintain unbiased opinions. Nor let personal desire affect my review. I will try to accurately portray every aspect so that you the reader can form your own opinion and judge for yourself whether this is a piece worthy of your hard earned cash.

Having first seen this statue available for purchase I was in immediate awe.Ultimately I decided to purchase this statue not only for the artistry implicated in its poise, detail and presence but as a memento. It is for me an everlasting reminder of the years of fun I had playing an MMO and all the great people I met along the way. Some of which I am still friends with to this day even though I have not participated in any gaming for several years. I think in essence that is partially the reason any of us collect. It brings to us euphoria of belonging. A time in our lives remembered.

The presence of this piece in hand is daunting. His pose harkens to the in game experience of confronting him. As he boldly strides fourth from his throne in anticipation of battle. His striding pose strikes on chords of nobility, intimidation and raw power. This could easily be a center piece for any collection humble or extensive. Whether your a fan of the game, the books, fantasy warriors, wicked characters, or just well done statues this bad boy delivers.

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

No small amount of expense was spared in the detail of this statue. From its frozen base icy base to the conquering confident expression of the portrait. From every angle displayed this just does not disappoint. His armor is precise in execution. There simply is not room for more detail. Fully sculpted chain mail resides below his heavy plate pauldrons, breast plate and grieves. Leather gloves and bindings lie in detail beneath his plate bracers with every small buckle and binding. There is a small piece between his shoulder pauldrons that is just flat although it looks to match the rest of the armor I am not sure why there is no detail here other than the look of metal it bothers me some but does not take away from the statue.

The plate armor itself is just astounding. Brought to life in its worn frozen facade in sculpt and paint alike. Sculpted chips,cracks and inclusions with dry brushing all contribute to the effect of a battle-worn foe. All the skulls, spikes, in-scripted flaring bring so much presence to Arthas without being overwhelming and overly busy. The reflective silver dry brushing though a little extensive in some areas pull you in and look as though he just strolled out of a blizzard.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Sithlord32
New Republic

His boots, cape and weapon are no less impressive. The fur has depth bound by leather straps with his heavy leg plates you can almost feel the weight of his steps crushing against the icy plain of his base. His cape is beaten and torn and weathered you can see the different layers of it worn through with the added effect of snow on the bottom creates the feel that it has been tattered dragging through the snow.

Frostmourne is just plain wicked looking. I think it could maybe have used a very small few additions in the paint application but other than that it is flawless. One of the best sculpted weapons ive seen thus far. the Frostmourne sword really carries out the dynamics of the statue it is an incorporeal part of this piece. If he wasn't wielding it it just wouldn't have the same appeal that it does for me.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Sithlord32
New Republic

The base is a fine example of accuracy in follow through with Arthas for those unaware. Icecrown Citadel where he resides in the game has skulls flowing throughout its architecture. The ice cap he stands upon is also reminiscent of where the battle with Arthas takes place. The clear multicolored poly-resin used gives that extra icy touch that complements the rest of the statue. There is actually a fair amount of surface detail on the ice and the snow at his feet as well as in the skulls that make up the bottom border.

There is supposed to be a light-up feature for his eyes and sword. Sadly mine was one of those that did not function. Sideshow seems to have issues with this feature on more than one statue and I have seen it as a fairly common issue with this statue. The battery compartment and wiring inside is very cheap in design and does not surprise me that there are issues with it. They really need to up the quality control on this as it just isn't acceptable to advertise a feature that only seems to function a percentage of the time.
One cool aspect that touches on the lighting issue is there is a relatively easy cheap modification one can make to have the base light up. By removing the bottom and installing leds or smps and drilling a small hole in the side for a plug in you can at least have some kind of light-up feature if the factory installed one does not work. Here are some pics of mine that I did.

Summary

Sculpt: 10
Ultimately the only flaw if you even want to call it that in the sculpt is the portion I mentioned earlier between the shoulder pauldrons on the rear side. I think there could have been something implicated there just to give that part more depth. The amount of detail otherwise is amazing and is easy to get lost taking it all in.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9.5
Trying not to be overly crucial of very insignificant detail. The paint app is really quite amazing and flows with the sculpt and representation smoothly. The hair is just a solid light blue I think some highlights and low lights could have been implemented easily to give the hair the depth the rest of the statue has. Also the reflective silver "icy" flecks could have been toned down a bit in areas. It almost looks as if someone spilt glitter on him.
There was also a small nit-picking around the armor in places where a small touch of paint would have added a lot of depth such as the raised portions of the brooch edging around the skulls but again very insignificant. For those small aspects i deducted a 1/2 a point.

Artistic Design: 10
This is spot on. I couldn't be happier with the overall presence and feel of the statue and the representation of the character. Nothing here that leaves me in request of improvement.

Production Quality: 8.5
The factory did a great job on this which makes me wonder how such a intricate detailed statue as this can come out so well yet simpler pieces fail in this regard. I think the final piece vs the prototype pics is pretty much right on the money. He is solid and easy to assemble. The magnets for his shoulder pauldrons are strong and secure and should resist some bumping around without falling off though I have no desire to test this but if you do feel free .
The light-up feature is a big disappointment. The wiring and battery box are sub par quality and at this price point just is not acceptable. Sideshow needs to invest time in reconfiguring the quality of this feature or it will just be an ongoing issue for all future products. This aspect was really upsetting to me after seeing the inside of this and im deducting 1 1/2 points for that failure to produce.

OVERALL: 9.5 Despite the few small flaws I cant see anyone being unhappy adding this to their collection if it fits your build. Hope you enjoyed the review and it helps you either pull the trigger or hold out for something that fits your tastes.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Excellent review, SithLord! You are right in all accounts. Your photos are outstanding and do the piece justice. Good job!!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Excellent review, SithLord! You are right in all accounts. Your photos are outstanding and do the piece justice. Good job!!
Thanks JP!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
Force of Nature
Marshal Law

I fully agree with JP, Sithlord: this is truly an outstanding and excellent review!
I am humbled to be in the presence of giants like you who can write reviews like these...

Keep up the good work; I am deeply impressed!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Force of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
Bmutha
I like to make what's yours mine.

Very nice review! Excellent job!
Bmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
Eltjar
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

A great review that covers everything from sculpt to the paintjob in detail. You really did this outstanding statue justice - good job!!!
Eltjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force of Nature View Post
I fully agree with JP, Sithlord: this is truly an outstanding and excellent review!
I am humbled to be in the presence of giants like you who can write reviews like these...

Keep up the good work; I am deeply impressed!

Rainer

Nothing can stop The Juggernaut... NOTHING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmutha View Post
Very nice review! Excellent job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltjar View Post
A great review that covers everything from sculpt to the paintjob in detail. You really did this outstanding statue justice - good job!!!
Thanks for all the praise it is appreciated I did put a lot of effort into it it and its nice to see it pay off!