Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #211
BaronV
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineBreaker View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll check for that when I go. Some people say he goest back and forth on it, but I guess the predrawn stuff is intended to be priced as commissions. We'll see.
At the last three Long Beach Comic Con/Expo he was at, he wasn't sketching (was told that) but he does have preliminary sketches and drawings for sale. If you don't want to spend too much I suggest seeing his booth early to score his prelim drawings that are under $100 otherwise his stuff goes up in price level.
BaronV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #212
NineBreaker
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
At the last three Long Beach Comic Con/Expo he was at, he wasn't sketching (was told that) but he does have preliminary sketches and drawings for sale. If you don't want to spend too much I suggest seeing his booth early to score his prelim drawings that are under $100 otherwise his stuff goes up in price level.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on going too crazy with it because I have about 5 or 6 commissions on my list I think already (Dan Khanna, Bill Sienkiewicz, Herb Trimpe, maybe CPWIII if he's doing any, and Arthur Sudyam). I 'm not even going to try for Kevin Eastman... I would like something by Mr. Wrightson if possible because of his place in the pantheon of comic artists. On top of all that, I still would like to buy a page or two from TF comics.

Gonna be severely lacking funds after this one ....
NineBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #213
charlier73
Doh!

hi everyone. i brought my site back, sketchprices.com, if anyone wants to check it out. i tried to update the site with recent posts about convention rates. you guys are best source of course but i tried to pool info from the artists themselves too. anyway if anyone wants to contribute, all the info is on the site. thanks for posting this great info as always.
charlier73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #214
BaronV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineBreaker View Post
Thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on going too crazy with it because I have about 5 or 6 commissions on my list I think already (Dan Khanna, Bill Sienkiewicz, Herb Trimpe, maybe CPWIII if he's doing any, and Arthur Sudyam). I 'm not even going to try for Kevin Eastman... I would like something by Mr. Wrightson if possible because of his place in the pantheon of comic artists. On top of all that, I still would like to buy a page or two from TF comics.

Gonna be severely lacking funds after this one ....

Kevin Eastman is actually pretty good on doing single-figure sketches for fans when he's at the IDW booth. Spends around 10 mins a sketch on blanks or the TMNT hardcover books. Expect a long line though.

Only artists I have been kind of disappointed in was Sienkiewicz who I asked for an Elektra head sketch which he charged me $20 for and it took him all of 10 seconds to draw a few lines of her profile...in b/w. =-(
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #215
coolandwarm
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Kevin Eastman is actually pretty good on doing single-figure sketches for fans when he's at the IDW booth. Spends around 10 mins a sketch on blanks or the TMNT hardcover books. Expect a long line though.

Only artists I have been kind of disappointed in was Sienkiewicz who I asked for an Elektra head sketch which he charged me $20 for and it took him all of 10 seconds to draw a few lines of her profile...in b/w. =-(
i totally understand the whole charge for drawing something that maybe you and me can do, dont get me wrong some artist can make a masterpiece in less than a minute and well worth what they ask, but when its just very simple to the point that someone will not even recognize who did it( there trademark look) then i dont agree on paying for it, better to pay them more for a nice art or go with someone else less know that really is looking to earn more fans.
coolandwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #216
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Quote:

I brought my Elektra HC to ECCC and I was thinking about hitting up Bill for a sketch in it, but I really haven't heard and good con stories about him, I may have to pass on it.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #217
coolandwarm
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1919 View Post
I brought my Elektra HC to ECCC and I was thinking about hitting up Bill for a sketch in it, but I really haven't heard and good con stories about him, I may have to pass on it.
talking about bill, this last con in Anaheim i visited his booth and he was talking to this group of people that seemed friends of his and for a long time, there was people waiting for his signature at his booth and he just kept them waiting there as he just faced the group that was on the side of his booth. i was like come one this is people you know you can call them or something later, but you have fans here that just want a signature from you, you are here because fans keep you there, all i wanted to know is how much his sketches are and they were high so i looked at portfolio he had and i looked at the simplest less worked on piece it was really nothing that i would want and i got tired of waiting and finally asked him how much and it was like $200, he gave the impression that he was above all too great. and on his time. first time i met him and it didn't go well with me. to many artist to enjoy their art with more Morales.
coolandwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #218
BaronV

Don't get me wrong Sienkiewicz was a nice enough artist, sketch prices high in my opinion, but it's his art and he can charge what he wants.

Still, other high-profile artists when I pay $20 for a quick sketch they'll usually do it on their sketch book so it's something extra I can take away with at least. I was bummed that for the $20 I spent it ended up being very simple, but I surmised that I probably won't be able to run into him at another Con.

Also of note, when at WC and I was in line to get him to sign some of his comics I owned, I had a stack of like 5 comics and when I got to the front he said he'll only sign two comics free, after that there's a fee. This was at a point in the Con where there was maybe me and two other guys in line so there's wasn't traffic at his booth at all. So I pulled out two books for his sig. Of Course when I get home one of the sigs is totally rubbed off since he signed in white-out and I didn't let it dry long enough. =-(
Old 03-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #219
NineBreaker
Frackin!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong Sienkiewicz was a nice enough artist, sketch prices high in my opinion, but it's his art and he can charge what he wants.

Still, other high-profile artists when I pay $20 for a quick sketch they'll usually do it on their sketch book so it's something extra I can take away with at least. I was bummed that for the $20 I spent it ended up being very simple, but I surmised that I probably won't be able to run into him at another Con.

Also of note, when at WC and I was in line to get him to sign some of his comics I owned, I had a stack of like 5 comics and when I got to the front he said he'll only sign two comics free, after that there's a fee. This was at a point in the Con where there was maybe me and two other guys in line so there's wasn't traffic at his booth at all. So I pulled out two books for his sig. Of Course when I get home one of the sigs is totally rubbed off since he signed in white-out and I didn't let it dry long enough. =-(
White out???? Seriously that's really crazy. I've never heard of that and it's pretty crummy because white out will crumble off over time as well. This is just wrong.

I'll go over and see what's going on then before I decide. Thanks for all the input you guys have had. I was going to get a transformers sketch but I'd be worried about it now.
NineBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #220
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

Some more from ECCC:
Francis Manapul: $140 - 11x14, ink wash with spot color and some background(definitely worth it). Francis was also doing like 5 minute headshots for free that were super cool!

Riley Rossmo: $100 - 11x17, inked with background(another stellar deal)

Joe Benitez : $250 - 11x17 Bust inked ( not 100% sure on this one)

Adi Granov: $250 11x17 Bust colored (not 100 % sure on this one either)

Bruce Timm: $100 head shot
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote