Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Ikea Besta / Stuva shelf maximum load

I recently bought a couple of Stuva frames to go with my previous Besta setup. They look great, but I wanted to put some heavier statues in the Stuvas. Specifically the WETA Shadow of the Tomb Raider Lara Croft (weighing about 22lbs by my count) and the original Sideshow Batman Premium Format (weighing about 26lbs).

The 35cm deep Besta shelves are supposed to carry 20kg (about 44lbs), but there's no data on the Stuva ones. I asked Ikea directly and they said they have no info on the shelf max load for Stuva.

Given that the Stuva shelves are deeper by 10cm, I wasn't sure if this meant they would carry less weight, or more. I put Lara on one to try it out and the shelf... settled, I guess? It didn't exactly bow, but it definitely looked like it was accepting the weight by moving down ever so slightly. It made me worried that in the long term, this might not be a good idea, either from generally bowing, or just plain snapping in two.

I know I could put these two on the bottom level to be safer, but they're two of my favorite pieces, so I wanted them up higher where I could better appreciate them. Batman specifically, since his head would disappear behind the door frame in the bottom cube.

So, I was wondering, has anyone put a really heavy piece on a Stuva shelf without reinforcement, and how has it held up? Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I just want to be sure I don't wake up to a statue disaster after a shelf gives out.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Did you ever test this out Gra007, and display something heavy on the Stuva shelf?
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote