Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 05-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

PC Gaming

Im thinking of getting a PC for playing games (I currently just have a laptop), I'm just after some thoughts/input. Is it the giant hassle it seems like? Do you find your system bcomes outdated very quickly? Are you constantly throwing money at your system to upgrade it? Should I steer clear?
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Depends on what you buy and what you plan to play.

If you are into MMOs, top of the line PC now will last you three years for MMOs. With minor upgrades to ram and video cards thru those years.

If you are into the latest PC game that comes out every month at game stop etc... then it will get outdated a bit faster in the CPU and mother board areas.

When i was playing everyquest years ago, i wasnt a PC guy and only wanted one to play EQ. So i went to www.cyberpowerpc.com and made up a basic stream lined PC for games. Good site for making up a PC for games only.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Funny you should mention Cyberpower, I was thinking of getting this system (from the UK Cyberpower site) as it doesnt break the bank:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy...r_Infinity_Yin

I fancy playing EVE online, some of the total war games and other strategy stuff, maybe some flight sims too.

I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360, so the big multiformat shooters and stuff I would probably still get on the Xbox, as my friend has one and we play online together.

My hesitation on the PC is that they just dont seem to have a long shelf life unless you throw more money at them down the line.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Python
Omega Red

As above, iv always been a console gamer but iv always had a love for flight sims which are seriously lacking on consoles, and when the do appear they are dumed down beyond belief in most cases. I recently purchased a high spec PC with the intent of running Flight sim X and crysis smoothly. It cost me £1500 but i acheieved this and am now happy.... if you buy a top spec system with a modern dual/quad core then your system shouldn't become outdated anytime soon...... not that id know too much on the subject, suffice to say im happy with my purchase. My xbox 360 hasn't even been touced in the month iv had my new PC, until i get round to buying the new riddick game that is, i maintain FPS's work better on the 360's game pad......
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff View Post
Funny you should mention Cyberpower, I was thinking of getting this system (from the UK Cyberpower site) as it doesnt break the bank:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/sy...r_Infinity_Yin

I fancy playing EVE online, some of the total war games and other strategy stuff, maybe some flight sims too.

My hesitation on the PC is that they just dont seem to have a long shelf life unless you throw more money at them down the line.
Not a bad system, but might as well go for a quad core CPU. Will last a bit longer for online games. Prob could axe the monitor and find a bigger one at staples for like $100 or so. Just a idea.

Only major upgrade in like 2 years or so would be a video card. The ones they have on the site now will drop in price in 2 years. so wont be that bad for a upgrade. Most PC have a 3 year life span anway for online games, but will make good net surfing when they are outdated for games.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote