Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Rocket
Art of Mod

The Iron Man 3 SPOILER THREAD

Ok gang, now that the movie has been out for over 24 hours, it's spoiler time!!

Loved it? Hated it? Meh?

Personally I had a great time with this, wayyyy more than Part Two.

Early thoughts

Pros.

Black raised the stakes, made things feel more urgent.
Pepper Potts mattered. A lot.

Cons.

The laugh factor was TOO present. I thought the humor was good but was just too thickly laid on.
With the Mandarian\Trevor reveal, we were essentially left with just another, tech genius villain for Tony, the third "suit and tie" villain in as many outings (with benefits)

Need more time to digest the whole "Trevor" angle. I found it funny, and certainly left field, but was it a good move? I'm not sure.

If Black was doing it as a nod to the comic fans who generally accept that while Mandarin has always been Iron Man's big bad, he's also always been a politically incorrect lame-o, then I think it was very clever. But that's a big if.

More thoughts to come, but this was a fun experience for me.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Coming from a non comic book background, I did wonder how a lot of people would feel about the Trevor reveal. I just went along for the ride and thought Pearce made for an awesome villain.

As for comedic elements, I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Especially some of Tonys interactions with the kid.

Was shocked to see what happened with Pepper too, and found it a little dodgy that she managed to take out the big bad when Tony couldn't.

Still loved it though
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Rocket
Art of Mod

Another thought.

For perhaps the first time in all the Marvel "big picture" movies, I was utterly disappointed in the after credits scene.
I mean really? That's what we get, a jokey tete a tete between Tony and a powered down Banner? Ugh. Not cool Marvel, you have Thor just around the corner, more GotG characters you need to introduce the layman to, and you give us barely there humor?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
Coming from a non comic book background, I did wonder how a lot of people would feel about the Trevor reveal. I just went along for the ride and thought Pearce made for an awesome villain.

As for comedic elements, I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Especially some of Tonys interactions with the kid.

Was shocked to see what happened with Pepper too, and found it a little dodgy that she managed to take out the big bad when Tony couldn't.

Still loved it though

I tell ya mate, when Pepper started kicking ass two things happened. I started to be "into" Gwyneth a little more than before, and two, I started to think we REALLY need a She-Hulk movie!

The Trevor thing WAS funny, and to be honest I dont think there's many die hard Mandarin fans out there who will be crying foul, but it was a tad disrespectful to a long established character. Albeit a generally regarded lame, racist one.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

I have to admit, when Mandarin came out of the toilet and said "Phew, I wouldn't go in there for a while" I was thinking . . . WTF did I miss

Funny too that Iron Patriot seemed to get a bit of exposure in the trailer but really did bugger all in the movie.

But it's all just little nit picks. I sat there with a huge smile on my face from beginning to end, and that's all that matters to me
Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
I have to admit, when Mandarin came out of the toilet and said "Phew, I wouldn't go in there for a while" I was thinking . . . WTF did I miss

Funny too that Iron Patriot seemed to get a bit of exposure in the trailer but really did bugger all in the movie.

But it's all just little nit picks. I sat there with a huge smile on my face from beginning to end, and that's all that matters to me
Same here bud
Old 04-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Pretty disappointed with the movie myself. They should've named the movie 'Tony Stark' instead of 'Iron Man', IM was barely in it.. I wouldn't mind that too much if there was an engaging story with Tony but there really wasn't for me. Felt a little jipped too with the Mandarin, they get a big actor like Kingsley and advertise him everywhere as the big bad villain and he's just a decoy! It was entertaining for the most part, and definately better than the second one but I think the first one is still the best.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
Pretty disappointed with the movie myself. They should've named the movie 'Tony Stark' instead of 'Iron Man', IM was barely in it.. I wouldn't mind that too much if there was an engaging story with Tony but there really wasn't for me. Felt a little jipped too with the Mandarin, they get a big actor like Kingsley and advertise him everywhere as the big bad villain and he's just a decoy! It was entertaining for the most part, and definately better than the second one but I think the first one is still the best.
I thought it was great, and I absolutely agree on your final comment. The first one is still the best.

I get the feeling the Mandarin reveal may be a polarizing issue for some viewers
Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Quote:
I thought it was great, and I absolutely agree on your final comment. The first one is still the best.

I get the feeling the Mandarin reveal may be a polarizing issue for some viewers
Was it like that in the comics? I'm not familar with Iron Man books.
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsOneDead View Post
Was it like that in the comics? I'm not familar with Iron Man books.
I'm not either, but I gather the Mandarin was always a serious villain in the comics and not a drug f---ed, aging thespian