Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
DrJ
Frackin!

Medusa, the search for

I have come to realize my collection has started revolving primarily around Batman and Medusa. Batman statues are fairly easy to come by, so I tend to only pursue those that just blow me away. And finding those isn’t a great task. Lol. However, Medusa is a whole other story entirely. Finding statues in and of itself is a monumental task. Then, finding ones that blow me away...not many out there. ARH seems to have a corner on the Medusa market, but for the price they ask, they leave me underwhelmed. For instance, the most recent Victorious statue is awesome, but for the price I’d expect something more original than a direct knockoff of Clash of the Titans. There is so much that can be done with the character and to do a movie prop replica just seems cheap when it’s not labeled as such.

Anyway, any leads as to what else is out there? I currently have one on its way from Jonathan Dewar and I couldn’t be more excited. However, would still like to grow the Medusa collection. Thanks for any tips!
DrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
I have come to realize my collection has started revolving primarily around Batman and Medusa. Batman statues are fairly easy to come by, so I tend to only pursue those that just blow me away. And finding those isn’t a great task. Lol. However, Medusa is a whole other story entirely. Finding statues in and of itself is a monumental task. Then, finding ones that blow me away...not many out there. ARH seems to have a corner on the Medusa market, but for the price they ask, they leave me underwhelmed. For instance, the most recent Victorious statue is awesome, but for the price I’d expect something more original than a direct knockoff of Clash of the Titans. There is so much that can be done with the character and to do a movie prop replica just seems cheap when it’s not labeled as such.

Anyway, any leads as to what else is out there? I currently have one on its way from Jonathan Dewar and I couldn’t be more excited. However, would still like to grow the Medusa collection. Thanks for any tips!
Not a fan of ARH's Medusa with Legs?
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

https://www.specfictionshop.com/prod...1-2-scale-bust

You're welcome.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
dao2
Cyclops

ARH has a medusa with legs version as well, ala the original myth. Also they have 2 older ones, one not so great and one rather well known for how good it looks. HMO did a really good Medusa bust as well. ECC has a rather expensive life size (which is HUGE) bust, and it was well received. I don't like it as much as others but v0v. If neither of those strike your fancy I know of a kit I could maybe point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if you're going to get to far from Clash of the Titans as that's the most popular representation of it (though tbh I don't think it came from Clash of the Titans :P).
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
DrJ
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugchompa View Post
Not a fan of ARH's Medusa with Legs?
Well...it’s not that I don’t like it...it’s just that I see the offspring of Poison Ivy and Snake Eyes every time I see it rather than Medusa. Maybe it’s just me...or it’s too green. I don’t know. But something keeps me from wanting it. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusoid View Post
Sweet! I do like this one. The ECC bust really blows me away. However, I’ve never done busts. However, I may be tempted by this one as the price really isn’t bad and it’s a good version. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
ARH has a medusa with legs version as well, ala the original myth. Also they have 2 older ones, one not so great and one rather well known for how good it looks. HMO did a really good Medusa bust as well. ECC has a rather expensive life size (which is HUGE) bust, and it was well received. I don't like it as much as others but v0v. If neither of those strike your fancy I know of a kit I could maybe point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if you're going to get to far from Clash of the Titans as that's the most popular representation of it (though tbh I don't think it came from Clash of the Titans :P).
Point the way to the kit! I’d have to find someone to paint it, but I’m open to kits.

I would love a Medusa with a snake body, but this one just screams CoTT. Obvious indicators are breast plates and the tip of the tail are almost identical. For the paint used, would have made more sense to go with a typical snake tail look, but they opted to go with a sort of rattler hybrid(?) tip. Looks weird. I know it’s shallow, but that tip really grates on me for a $1200-1500 statue.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Sweet! I do like this one. The ECC bust really blows me away. However, I’ve never done busts. However, I may be tempted by this one as the price really isn’t bad and it’s a good version. Thanks!
Same here. I'm not really into busts, but I've made an exception for the Beastly Beauties line. They're gorgeous works of art.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
DrJ
Frackin!

This is a Medusa I contacted the artist about today. Granted, the sculpture was started a few years ago, come to find out it was put on the backburner and never finished. The artist let me know he would keep me in mind when he was able to finish it up. I hope soon-ish because this is one I’m absolutely in love with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66F32275-EF69-4818-BF78-7F621E2497DC.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	111177  
Old 01-30-2018, 01:38 AM   #8
Meta Jon
Daredevil

Quote:
This is a Medusa I contacted the artist about today. Granted, the sculpture was started a few years ago, come to find out it was put on the backburner and never finished. The artist let me know he would keep me in mind when he was able to finish it up. I hope soon-ish because this is one I’m absolutely in love with.
I saw that one years ago and would try to add that to my collection in a heartbeat
Meta Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
DrJ
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Jon View Post
I saw that one years ago and would try to add that to my collection in a heartbeat
Definitely. So sad it’s had to go to the backburner and he’s had so many setbacks with this project.

Got directed to to this Medusa. Contacted the artist and we will see where things go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25E8592E-5C01-4844-9D5F-EBE59826BF0F.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	111188  
Old 01-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

Yamato also has one that seems to have been in the works for years.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote